Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
2022: Minnesota - Tight Ends
2020-21: Western Michigan - Wide Receivers
2019: Minnesota - Quality Control
2018: Chattanooga - Wide Receivers
2017: Minnesota - Quality Control
2015-16: Western Michigan - Graduate Assistant
2013-14: Marietta College - Passing Game Coordinator / Recruiting Coordinator / Video Coordinator / Academic Coordinator
2011-12: Methodist University - Assistant Coach
2009-10: North Carolina Wesleyan College - Wide Receivers / Running Backs

Never an OC, never a QB coach at a high level. 1 game in this season and the excitement is gone.

2022: Minnesota - Tight Ends
2020-21: Western Michigan - Wide Receivers
2019: Minnesota - Quality Control
2018: Chattanooga - Wide Receivers
2017: Minnesota - Quality Control
2015-16: Western Michigan - Graduate Assistant
2013-14: Marietta College - Passing Game Coordinator / Recruiting Coordinator / Video Coordinator / Academic Coordinator
2011-12: Methodist University - Assistant Coach
2009-10: North Carolina Wesleyan College - Wide Receivers / Running Backs

Never an OC, never a QB coach at a high level. 1 game in this season and the excitement is gone.

Thanks for the insightful research SDM...and you are right, last night the music (the Rouser) died for me.

Fleck has been absolutely brutal on his progress on the offensive side of the ball. Yes they have been able to run the ball and had a really nice 2019 with NFL talented WR's, but that is it. Yes complimentary football is a good goal, but you have to do better.

Is it Fleck? Is it Minnesota? Is it Money?

I find it frustrating when SDSU, NDSU, and others have great success and those coaches and coordinators are getting picked up by P4 programs and having success. Fleck just keeps sticking with his guys and connections. He has to do better.

It's a thin resume for a Big Ten OC, but the part that stands out most to me is that he's never been a QB coach at any level before now.

As a college player he was at D3 Averett University where he played both offense and defense and was a gadget WR/QB who threw 5 career passes. So he probably didn't learn the finer points of QB play through that either.

There's nothing about his resume that suggests he's qualified to coach quarterbacks and improve their play.

Fleck has been absolutely brutal on his progress on the offensive side of the ball. Yes they have been able to run the ball and had a really nice 2019 with NFL talented WR's, but that is it. Yes complimentary football is a good goal, but you have to do better.

I find it frustrating when SDSU, NDSU, and others have great success and those coaches and coordinators are getting picked up by P4 programs and having success. Fleck just keeps sticking with his guys and connections. He has to do better.
This is it. There are so many coaches, so MANY that could coach an offense better than the guys he's hired. Watching his offenses without Ciarrocca is like watching bad youth football offenses. No continuity, no confidence, no develoment, no rhythm, no rhyme or reason. Just individual guys making plays here and there.

This is where I wonder if his "quirkiness" hurts Fleck's ability to attract experienced coordinators. It's not just the players that have to buy into the RTB and everything else Fleck does. It's the coaches too. Many experienced guys that probably have other options may not want to deal with that or like it. But a guy with less experience may be willing to "deal with it" if it means getting that opportunity they may not get elsewhere.

This is where I wonder if his "quirkiness" hurts Fleck's ability to attract experienced coordinators. It's not just the players that have to buy into the RTB and everything else Fleck does. It's the coaches too. Many experienced guys that probably have other options may not want to deal with that or like it. But a guy with less experience may be willing to "deal with it" if it means getting that opportunity they may not get elsewhere.
I would think he would be able to find a successful G5 OC looking for a promotion. But he’s stuck himself in a box only hiring guys from “his network” which limits his options. He is so hung up on only getting guys that are all-in on his Fleck-isms that he looks at that more than actual ability or qualifications. Ironically enough, his most successful OC (Ciarocca) was the anti-Fleck. Coincidence?

I think the bigger problem is getting guys super inexperienced. KC would push back on PJ. But look at this guys resume and tell me if you think he’s comfortable telling PJ to fly a kite over the headset and calling a certain play. No chance. PJ is only hiring guys he can control. The fact that the offense has looked the same over multiple OCs will indicate that. He’s surrounded himself with “yes men”

Last edited:

I would think he would be able to find a successful G5 OC looking for a promotion. But he’s stuck himself in a box only hiring guys from “his network” which limits his options. He is so hung up on only getting guys that are all-in on his Fleck-isms that he looks at that more than actual ability or qualifications. Ironically enough, his most successful OC (Ciarocca) was the anti-Fleck. Coincidence?

I think the bigger problem is getting guys super inexperienced. KC would push back on PJ. But look at this guys resume and tell me if you think he’s comfortable telling PJ to fly a kite over the headset and calling a certain play. No chance. PJ is only hiring guys he can control. The fact that the offense has looked the same over multiple OCs will indicate that. He’s surrounded himself with “yes men”
I would think he could find a successful G5 coordinator if he threw more money at them but I think it would take a lot of money for a good football coach to put up with Geezo-beezo II shtick.

I would think he could find a successful G5 coordinator if he threw more money at them but I think it would take a lot of money for a good football coach to put up with Geezo-beezo II shtick.
The last, what, two years?? PJ hasn’t used all of his assistant coach salary pool. I really don’t think money is the issue. It looks like most G5 OCs are in the $300-400k range. The Gophers should be able to swing $800k-$1MM from the salary pool. I would think many people would be willing to increase their position prestige and salary by 2-3x and put up with the “shtick”.

Each of the “co-OCs” is currently making $600k.

https://www.on3.com/db/coach/salaries/football/2023/?position=oc&page=2

Last edited:

Did you expect UNC to not play defense? They have some very good players on that D so the fact we were able to move it down the field so quickly at times says something. We just need to be more consistent and pass block better. Receivers need better desperation too. All in all if this is the floor I’m not entirely disappointed.

In your scenario money is not an issue. Offesive philosophy is the issue. Fleck needs to change his best there or I'm afraid it will be more of the same offensively.

In all Harbaugh's interviews, one thing that always stood out to me was that he seemed too happy to have a QB he didn't have to coach up too much.

Help us Andy Kotelnicki you’re our only hope.

Did PJ look at him, ONE OF US, ONE OF US!

All Minnesota had to do was hire any one of the NDSU coaches from the past. Take a pick.

Top Bottom