This is why the Playoff system will be SOOOO much better than the BCS

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
USC AD Pat Haden, Playoff Committee Member, runs onto the field from the press box to complain to refs during Stanford game.

I'm sure that room will be completely free from subjectivity.

I like the committee idea. I hate the fact that those who get to help make the decisions will be directly affected by the decisions made. Makes no sense.

I like the committee idea. I hate the fact that those who get to help make the decisions will be directly affected by the decisions made. Makes no sense.

Apparently (this is what is being said on the webs, no solid evidence) Sark texted him about an earlier call when he was flagged for being out of the white zone. And as we all know, the white zone is for loading and unloading only.

Has anyone ever recall any AD going on the field for anything like this before?

Should Pat Haden (USC AD) be removed from Playoff Selection Committee after today?

If this issue that happened with USC AD Pat Haden running down onto the field from upstairs to argue with the officials during the USC vs. Stanford game continues to have legs........does the Selection Committee perhaps remove him from the group altogether in order to restore trust to the rest of the teams, administrators, etc? Per the guys on ESPN what he did is illegal per NCAA rules. The optics just look really bad for the 1st year of the selection committee scheme. If anything else, that is not how an AD acts........especially in public on national tv.

I personally think he should be removed from the group. Thoughts?

The strange thing about the original call was they had no replay to show where Sark was. Being a Nationally broadcasted game I am sure there were cameras on the coaches. I don't know who texted Haden, but it probably indicated Sark was losing control. While I never seen an AD approaching a referee, I have seen AD's on the sidelines. And if the officials felt it was undue influence, they could have thrown another 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct to Haden. But they didn't. And while there was no agreement on the call, it ended right there. And USC withstood another Stanford drive.

Sark really looked like a little bitch in the post game presser.

If this issue that happened with USC AD Pat Haden running down onto the field from upstairs to argue with the officials during the USC vs. Stanford game continues to have legs........does the Selection Committee perhaps remove him from the group altogether in order to restore trust to the rest of the teams, administrators, etc? Per the guys on ESPN what he did is illegal per NCAA rules. The optics just look really bad for the 1st year of the selection committee scheme. If anything else, that is not how an AD acts........especially in public on national tv.

I personally think he should be removed from the group. Thoughts?

Yes, he and anyone else actively employed by a university or conference should be removed. This is similar to the justice department and SEC (the important one) allowing a revolving door of employment. The influence, even if subconscious, is definitely there. I had no idea this was allowed. Totally absurd to have Haden on the committee.

I don't know, maybe have a tourney of conference champions....?

USC AD Pat Haden should resign from the Playoff committee

USC athletics director Pat Haden should resign from the College Football Playoff selection committee, and he should do it today. If he refuses, CFP executive director Bill Hancock should nudge him in that direction. And if Hancock doesn't want to go down that road, the 10 commissioners of the Football Bowl Subdivision conferences should intervene and demand a change.

What Haden did Saturday in the third quarter of USC's 13-10 victory against Stanford was unacceptable — unacceptable for any athletics director, but particularly one who will represent the Pac 12 on the CFP selection committee.

It all started when USC linebacker Hayes Pullard was ejected for a hit on Stanford's Ty Montgomery during a kickoff return. Whether the penalty was warranted or not — and Pullard, for the record, pretty clearly led with the helmet — it was shocking to see things get so out of sorts on the USC sideline that suddenly Haden popped up in the middle of the scrum, angrily going nose-to-nose with the officials.

More...

Well lookie lookie!

Guess what other member of the selection committee and sitting AD was on the sidelines yesterday yelling at the refs:

540b7b6993e99.image.jpg

What a total ****ing embarrassment for both programs.

OMG - I can't believe Barry A-hole yelled at a ref!!!!! ALERT THE MEDIA!!!!

i stood right next to E. Kaler for about 2 hours during a Gopher Softball regional game this spring. It was cool because he really, really wanted the Gophers to win, and was totally into the game, which I didn't expect at all. As a by-product, he yelled at the ump several times. I'd wager a large amount of money he's yelled at football refs too while on the sidelines. Should he never be part of the playoff committee if asked?

This is a non-story. If someone can prove a person on the committee is not being subjective during the selection process, then he/she should be removed. An administrator yelling at a ref proves nothing, except that they have passion for the school they work for.

In the meantime, representatives of an institution will continue to support their universities by yelling at refs to try to help their schools win. It happens everywhere, at every game, in every sport.

There will be way more complaining about the playoff selections than there ever was with the BCS selections.

OMG - I can't believe Barry A-hole yelled at a ref!!!!! ALERT THE MEDIA!!!!

i stood right next to E. Kaler for about 2 hours during a Gopher Softball regional game this spring. It was cool because he really, really wanted the Gophers to win, and was totally into the game, which I didn't expect at all. As a by-product, he yelled at the ump several times. I'd wager a large amount of money he's yelled at football refs too while on the sidelines. Should he never be part of the playoff committee if asked?

This is a non-story. If someone can prove a person on the committee is not being subjective during the selection process, then he/she should be removed. An administrator yelling at a ref proves nothing, except that they have passion for the school they work for.

In the meantime, representatives of an institution will continue to support their universities by yelling at refs to try to help their schools win. It happens everywhere, at every game, in every sport.

Yelling at refs is a protected right by the U.S. Constitution.

USC Athletic Director Pat Haden issued the following statement tonight regarding his actions on the sideline during Saturday's game at Stanford:

"I apologize to Commissioner Scott, to the game officials, to Stanford and to the fans for any distraction I might have caused during Saturday's football game. In retrospect, I should not have approached the game officials. I should have waited until after the game and gone through the appropriate channels.

"In the best interests of our team and our coaches, I will stay off the sidelines for our next two games."

Top Bottom