This has to be the worst offensively coached and executed game I've ever watched

cncmin

Reaction score
Horrible coaching - with this size advantage, why not run the ball? If Weber can't throw the ball and consistently takes sacks, either replace him or RUN the ball.

Horrible execution - the O-line has been horrible today, and Weber has been far worse than I could have ever imagined. He is playing like a BAD high school QB today. I used to see play like his - from my own horrible high school QBs, where we only won a few games a year maximum. Terrible.

I don't think you will have too many people disagreeing with you and
in about another 8:27 of game left -- this board could very possibly in
complete meltdown mode.........

what about calling a TO out of another TO, or that awful squib kick, or weber under or over throwing every receiver on the field, it just gets worse and worse

Keep in mind I posted that before we did the following after a fumble recovery at the 11:

1. Run for no yards (ok, at least we ran down the clock and Weber couldn't take a sack, fumble, or throw an INT).

2. Run Gray to the 8 (it was obvious, even SDSU could stop it, but again, we ran down the clock, Weber didn't take a sack, fumble, or throw an INT).

3. Call not one, but TWO ridiculous time outs. THROW on 3rd down: Weber nearly took a sack, then threw a horrible pass to a double-covered Tow-Arnett that was probably closer to an interception than a catch. Not only that, but it stopped the clock with about 2:40 left, and ensured that: (a) we could not run down 40+ more seconds of game clock; and (b) they didn't have to use a time out. I don't know what the coaches thought could possibly happen by having Weber throw the ball in that situation, but I think, given the play call, the result was actually tremendous - the only better result that could have possibly happened was Weber sliding down in the middle of the field between the 5 and 10 to waste more clock and set up an easier FG. A TD with Weber throwing the ball there was an impossibility.

4. Put Ellestad in for a go-ahead field goal against the swirling wind from a far hash mark (phew!).

5. Squib (onside?) kick the ball to give SDSU great field position at the 44. Thank Michael Carter for big plays, and a nearly great interception. Michael Carter is quickly becoming a very good football player.

6. Get the ball back, then run Hoese 3 straight plays. On most days, this would be like a Mason way to find a way to lose a victory. Today, sadly, it was probably the only choice; anything else would probably have been disaster. Like usual, a Gopher team gets stopped one yard short of the victory, and they had to punt to allow SDSU a chance to win the game. Note for step (6): had the Gophers run the ball on step (3) above, they could have run the clock out instead of have to punt...

7. Allow delay of game to force the punter to back up another 5 yards against a swirling wind. A shank, a block, a good return (instead of kicking it into the end zone), or a poor punt, and SDSU has another chance with ~40 seconds left.

8. Poor blocking nearly lets SDSU block the kick. Amazingly, the punter and good coverage saves the day for the Gophers, as SDSU starts out at their own 10. Might they have started at their own 5 had step (7) not been done? Hard to say yes or no, but...

9. Let SDSU beat itself by throwing a 3-yard pass in the middle of the field to allow 20+ precious seconds run off the clock on minimal gain.

10. Say phew!

I really want to believe in Fisch, but it looks like he just doesn't have what it takes. At least from my perspective from section 142, row 22, etc. I really like the coaching staff, and I want them to succeed, but man!

I really want to believe in Fisch, but it looks like he just doesn't have what it takes. At least from my perspective from section 142, row 22, etc. I really like the coaching staff, and I want them to succeed, but man!

Could we possibly be going for what the 4th offensive coordinator in 4 years or is it at 5 now? Honestly, Fisch just had this WTF look on his face the whole time like he didn't know what he was doing. Man....don't look now but I think we need yet another one. Ouch.

Maturi didn't get mad for nothing when the Fisch hiring was announced....

I agree with you.

I've been a big defender of Brewster and, by extension, Fisch. Horrible, terrible and dreadful are not strong enough to describe how bad our offense - coaching and execution - were today. The only defense for Fisch is that we don't want to have still another OC.

It' hard to call a play when you have a quarterback who can't throw a pass and a offensive line that can't block anyone. And running backs who can't get a yard. :mad:

Could we possibly be going for what the 4th offensive coordinator in 4 years or is it at 5 now? Honestly, Fisch just had this WTF look on his face the whole time like he didn't know what he was doing. Man....don't look now but I think we need yet another one. Ouch.

Mature didn't get mad for nothing when the Fisch hiring was announced....

No. Fisch actually does NOT appear to be the main problem (regardless of the strange calls in the second half today), unless HE is the one keeping Weber in the game. Fisch's play calls actually put players in pretty good spots, on a typical Saturday (not today!). The players just don't execute properly, primarily the QB and O-line. If you have a QB that can't throw the ball and an offensive line that can't open up good running holes, no matter what you call it won't matter. Today, the playcalling assisted in the poor output.

"This has to be the worst offensively coached game I've ever watched."

Question:
Did you watch the Penn State game this year?
how about Iowa last year?

10 for 22 for 94 yards, with 4 sacks and one ITD

A decent Big Ten QB should have hit for .700 against South Dakota State. Gray might be a disaster, but can't we at least find out?

"This has to be the worst offensively coached game I've ever watched."

Question:
Did you watch the Penn State game this year?
how about Iowa last year?

They also have pretty good defenses; no comparison.

Top Bottom