This gem from Fran Fraschilla last night

Another thing, could it be that the players are expecting tough, grind-it-out games and thus play that way? It seems that Big Ten teams like to use a lot of shot clock, and don't do a lot of run-and-gun compared to, say, the Big East and ACC. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but it's just the style of play. The refs probably let more physical play here, too.

If this style of play is conducive to being competitive against all of the big boys (omitting MSU vs. NC and PU vs. Duke), then what's the problem? Why lose pretty when you can win ugly?

As far as I could tell, Blake Hoffarber was hitting a lot of 3's in OOC play. He rarely gets an open look during Big Ten play. Blake did a lot of damage in OOC play, and the Gophers won all of those games. Not so much in Big Ten play. I know his shooting struggles have a lot to do with him, but there's no doubt that he's been guarded tougher in the past 17 games than the previous twelve. Was this because (1) the Big Ten defenses have played tougher, or (2) the Big Ten sucks?
You decide.

As far as I could tell, Blake Hoffarber was hitting a lot of 3's in OOC play. He rarely gets an open look during Big Ten play. Blake did a lot of damage in OOC play, and the Gophers won all of those games.
He was shooting a higher percentage in the OOC games this year than he did all of last year. Somewhere around 45-46% I think. I remember thinking that if he kept hitting that percentage going into the Big 10, we'd be dangerous. Of course, like 2 games later, he ended up being the 11th one off the bench after missing a few threes in the game before, and hasn't seemed quite the same since (IMO you don't ever screw with the psyche of a shooter, intentionally or not). Doesn't help that he isn't really getting the open looks he did in OOC either.

He was shooting a higher percentage in the OOC games this year than he did all of last year. Somewhere around 45-46% I think. I remember thinking that if he kept hitting that percentage going into the Big 10, we'd be dangerous. Of course, like 2 games later, he ended up being the 11th one off the bench after missing a few threes in the game before, and hasn't seemed quite the same since (IMO you don't ever screw with the psyche of a shooter, intentionally or not). Doesn't help that he isn't really getting the open looks he did in OOC either.

To some degree. He has gotten some open looks in conf.

The miss from the top of the circle late in the game today, he was open. It sure seemed like he puckered, however.

I'd swear you're almost quoting me word-for-word from a couple of weeks and months back :eek:; where I think you were actually personally in full agreement. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way :) Do you think that Hoff's lack of pulling the trigger this Big Ten season has anything to do with that psyche? I would definitely think so. Now my question is whether his psyche is damaged permanently or not :(

Top Bottom