This game proves...

Schlic Daddy

Reaction score
that we need to hire the biggest name possible. I think anyone who is much less a name than Jim Harbaugh or Mike Leach or Gary Patterson isn't going to be able to sell tickets. If I were a season ticket holder after tonight's debacle, I would not renew unless it was a real big name. There was nothing shown tonight that leads me to believe that next year's team can even be competitive.

Harbaugh has always been my favorite name (and might be unattainable), but I've been in the Leslie Frazier house as well. Now I think we need a proven D1 head coach. No Marc Trestman, no Randy Shannon--I wouldn't consider him proven, nor would I consider an NFL or college coordinator like Frazier.

Winning sells tickets pretty quickly. Even if they can't pull in someone on your glamor list, and lumping Leach in with that group is a wee bit kind to the old man, so long as they make a quality hire and give him the assets he needs to assemble a quality staff the wins will come and the fans will follow.

that we need to hire the biggest name possible. I think anyone who is much less a name than Jim Harbaugh or Mike Leach or Gary Patterson isn't going to be able to sell tickets. If I were a season ticket holder after tonight's debacle, I would not renew unless it was a real big name. There was nothing shown tonight that leads me to believe that next year's team can even be competitive.

Harbaugh has always been my favorite name (and might be unattainable), but I've been in the Leslie Frazier house as well. Now I think we need a proven D1 head coach. No Marc Trestman, no Randy Shannon--I wouldn't consider him proven, nor would I consider an NFL or college coordinator like Frazier.

Drop Leach and add Peterson to your list. Then change the talked about salary from 2-2.5 mill to 3-3.5 mill.

Drastic times call for drastic measures.

Whoever comes in needs to be able to build a dominating defense with this program. If that doesn't happen another change will be coming in another 4-5 yrs.and round and round it will go.

Hiring a "big name" will sell some tickets the first off-season only and then it's back to winning. Hire the RIGHT coach is a must, if it's a "big name" then all the better.

Hiring Phil Fulmer or Leslie Frazier and then watching them fail to win does us no good. It may sell a few extra hundred tickets during the off-season but that's it.

If we make the wrong hire and continue to struggle, I shudder at the thought of having only 40K at most BT games.

Go Gophers!!

Hiring a "big name" will sell some tickets the first off-season only and then it's back to winning. Hire the RIGHT coach is a must, if it's a "big name" then all the better.

Hiring Phil Fulmer or Leslie Frazier and then watching them fail to win does us no good. It may sell a few extra hundred tickets during the off-season but that's it.

If we make the wrong hire and continue to struggle, I shudder at the thought of having only 40K at most BT games.

Go Gophers!!

Hiring the "RIGHT" coach is the correct idea but there are no guarantees. Hiring the "big name" coach, well, you have a little more control over that.

As far as 'big name coaches' I would drop Frazier and Fulmer like a lead balloon.

The big name coaches should be...Harbaugh, Peterson or Patterson. Slim chance I know, but still a chance.

Time to invest the money.

Happy Halloween.

A lot of people are saying Peterson but why would he leave Boise State. I think Peterson likes his gig at Boise and will not leave there. I can think of 4 million reasons to get him here if we are willing to spend the money.

Leslie Frazier won't sell tickets...

***PROVEN D1 COACH***...no excuses...

Agree on dropping Fulmer (old re-tread), Leach (sleazy, would not stay if successful), and Frazier (untested as HC, too stoic in demeanor). Peterson, Patterson, Dungy, Harbaugh, Trestman, Richt, would top my list.

Agree on dropping Fulmer (old re-tread), Leach (sleazy, would not stay if successful), and Frazier (untested as HC, too stoic in demeanor). Peterson, Patterson, Dungy, Harbaugh, Trestman, Richt, would top my list.

You had me until you said "Trestman". How that guy would energize the fan base is apparently beyond me. The U hires Trestman and you might as well block off the upper deck at TCF for all of the games the next 2-3 years as they won't have more than 25,000 (except of course against Iowa, Wisky, and Nebraska).

A lot of people are saying Peterson but why would he leave Boise State. I think Peterson likes his gig at Boise and will not leave there. I can think of 4 million reasons to get him here if we are willing to spend the money.
Have you ever been to Idaho?

Peterson, Patterson, Dungy, Harbaugh, Trestman, Richt

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueZ6tvqhk8U?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueZ6tvqhk8U?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Peterson and Boise State, he would not win here.

There is no way on this green earth that Chris Peterson would win at the U. He would never get the kids he get's in at Boise to play football in at the U or any Big10 University for that matter. Boise is a football factory, because of there success. They have very few graduate level programs or coursework that should tell you something. Peterson is the culmination of unique situation and a unique football program as Colorado is finding out.
Those that tout him, you do realize that Boise State has amongst the lowest admission standards for any college in D1 college football right and some questionable academic programs.

Boise State's success is due in large part to getting California kids, specifically LA kids that cannot get into schools in the California University system. Your talking about many kid's that would have a difficult time getting admissions to even put them in an inter-college program with a lot of zero level course work at the U, now that there is no general college. Not saying they could not do the work, just saying the U has a difficult admissions department that would not let many of the kids that get in at Boise State to even gain admission in any program at the U. Were not even one of the University's in the Big 10 conference that have as high an admission standards as most. Most schools in the conference are even tougher to get into than the U.

There is no way on this green earth that Chris Peterson would win at the U. He would never get the kids he get's in at Boise to play football in at the U or any Big10 University for that matter. Boise is a football factory, because of there success. They have very few graduate level programs or coursework that should tell you something. Peterson is the culmination of unique situation and a unique football program as Colorado is finding out.
Those that tout him, you do realize that Boise State has amongst the lowest admission standards for any college in D1 college football right and some questionable academic programs.

Boise State's success is due in large part to getting California kids, specifically LA kids that cannot get into schools in the California University system. Your talking about many kid's that would have a difficult time getting admissions to even put them in an inter-college program with a lot of zero level course work at the U, now that there is no general college. Not saying they could not do the work, just saying the U has a difficult admissions department that would not let many of the kids that get in at Boise State to even gain admission in any program at the U. Were not even one of the University's in the Big 10 conference that have as high an admission standards as most. Most schools in the conference are even tougher to get into than the U.

How the hell do know for sure he couldn't be successful at the U or any other school when he's never coached anywhere else? So you're saying he has an advantage at Boise St. That's fine, but that certainly doesn't prove that he can't be successful somewhere else.

How the hell do know for sure he couldn't be successful at the U or any other school when he's never coached anywhere else? So you're saying he has an advantage at Boise St. That's fine, but that certainly doesn't prove that he can't be successful somewhere else.

Notice the keyword in his post. "God's 'GREEN' Earth". That plastic blue grass must really piss him off.:D

I don't trust a man with cursed sperm.

WDGold, agree completely on defense - essential in the Big Ten. Also agree with the thread generally that only a bigtime guy will do - the financial and recruiting challenge from Nebraska requires it. We are on the precipice, financially, while they (Nebraska)are adding 5,000 seats to their 80,000+ stadium. The Gophers have to rebound fast to take on Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan and Wisconsin every year. the Brewster hire has put us in a tailspin.

Top Bottom