This defense has set rhe bar and standard now

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
I'm not saying they have to play like this every game, that was a real gem, but now that they having shown us and themselves how capable they are it is going to be pretty hard to go backwards. That is what elite Big 10 defense looks like. We used to say now that's Big 10 defense, or a Big 10 hit in the dome. Once you lift the bar like that, you need to try and keep it that way. U have to say yesterday was outstanding, You play like that on D and you have a chance to win a championship. Coaches and players, hats off to thee! This is what winning the West looks like, you build the boat and Row the boat like that, you just don't want to turn back.

The D played outstanding. I would say, however, that the Colorado O-line coach needs some scrutiny. The Goph D line confused them several times with some common twists.

It's all about match-ups.

In hindsight, Colorado was a perfect match-up for the Gophers.

A good confidence builder - but at the same time, the team and the fans cannot get over-confident. The Gophers are going to face a lot of better offensive teams than Colorado. Remember how people felt about the defense after the Ohio State game?

My hope for the Gopher defense is achieving a level of consistency. Instead of having a clunker followed by a gem, try to play at a relatively consistent level each week.

You can control your own effort. Players will make mental mistakes and physical mistakes, but as long as the effort is there, I can live with the results.

It's all about match-ups.

In hindsight, Colorado was a perfect match-up for the Gophers.

A good confidence builder - but at the same time, the team and the fans cannot get over-confident. The Gophers are going to face a lot of better offensive teams than Colorado. Remember how people felt about the defense after the Ohio State game?

My hope for the Gopher defense is achieving a level of consistency. Instead of having a clunker followed by a gem, try to play at a relatively consistent level each week.

You can control your own effort. Players will make mental mistakes and physical mistakes, but as long as the effort is there, I can live with the results.
About the defense.
We held OSU to ten points in the first half. We were down two safeties (Howden and Dixon) in the second half.

I still think we win a lot of games and compete for the west for years to come if the defense can just get to average within the big10. Offensively we are better, have been better, and should continue to be better than what the average west winner has been.

Yesterday was a couple standard deviations to one side of the curve, as was that confounding 2020 Michigan (and maybe Maryland and Iowa) “performance”was last year on the other. We will undoubtedly revert to the mean, but lots and lots to like from yesterday.

Loved the defensive performance. But Colorado is a mess on offense and we exploited it extremely well. Can’t wait to see how our re-energized and coordinated defense performs against a team that knows how to pass, such as Purdue. Suddenly hopeful.

Yesterday was a couple standard deviations to one side of the curve, as was that confounding 2020 Michigan (and maybe Maryland and Iowa) “performance”was last year on the other. We will undoubtedly revert to the mean, but lots and lots to like from yesterday.

Yes. Revert to mean, mean defense. Good point.

Top Bottom