This and that, article in today's St. Paul Paper

#2Gopher

Reaction score
PHOENIX — The Gophers have had 12 players enter the NCAA transfer portal this season, and there might be a few more after Minnesota plays West Virginia in Tuesday night’s Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Minnesota’s coaches have held most of their year-end meetings with players, and Fleck said there is an assumption everybody still on the team will return for 2022. “But there will probably be one or two surprises,” he added.

During the meetings, coaches will have direct conversations with players about where they stand on the depth chart and their chances of seeing the field the following season but never pull scholarships. Hearing long odds of seeing the field could factor into a player’s decision to depart.

For instance, when starting quarterback Tanner Morgan said after the victory over Wisconsin on Nov. 27 that he was coming back for a sixth season in 2022, backups Zack Annexstad and Jacob Clark soon said they were headed into the portal.

Cornerback Coney Durr said he’s most proud of his “perseverance” to stick it out after a knee injury and coaching change to stay at Minnesota for six seasons.

“With … the (transfer) portal and stuff like that, man, it’s really important that a lot of guys just trust the process,” Durr said. “Stuff is gonna to be hard. You can’t run from hard. Embrace that and it’s going to make you into the person you are going to be.”

The Gophers have 20 players in their 2022 recruiting class, including a couple of transfers in incoming cornerbacks Shannon “Beanie” Bishop (Western Kentucky) and Ryan Stapp (Abilene Christian).

Fleck estimated Minnesota could bring in three more players during this cycle, with fall-sport athletes needing to notify schools of their departure before May 1.

“There is going to be another wave of the portal come after the bowl games and then after spring ball,” Fleck said. “You are constantly recruiting, even transfers, who can come in at the end of May.”

Defensive line is one likely spot the U could add reinforcements, and transfer players with multiple years of eligibility often are highly desirable recruits. Bishop and Stapp have two years left.

WHERE TO?​

Half of the 12 departures from Minnesota have found new destinations: defensive end MJ Anderson (Iowa State), receiver Brady Boyd (Texas Tech), running back Cam Wiley (Akron), tight end Austin Henderson (Liberty), and defensive end Rashod Cheney and linebacker DJ Gordon (both South Florida).

Six players haven’t yet announced new schools: Annexstand and Clark, offensive linemen Curtis Dunlap and Saia Mapakaitolo, receiver Dylan Hillard-McGill and kicker Michael Lantz. Lantz was last on the team in 2020 but made his announcement to transfer earlier this month.

ASSISTANT COACHES​

As well as players transferring, some Gophers assistant coaches could be on the move as well.

Minnesota already has made one change — offensive coordinator Mike Sanford Jr. not retained after two seasons and Kirk Ciarrocca coming back to Dinkytown. They also have extended the contract of defensive coordinator Joe Rossi through the 2023 season, and he received a $137,000 raise.

Fleck’s contract extension in October included $350,000 more for assistant coaches salary pool. Factoring in Rossi and Ciarrocca, there is about $250,000 remaining for the eight other on-field assistants. There is an understanding this money will be spread out to them.

Running backs coach and assistant head coach Kenni Burns, co-receivers coach Matt Simon, special-teams coordinator/rush ends coach Rob Wenger, tight ends coach Clay Patterson and cornerbacks coach Paul Haynes have their contracts expiring in January.

Run game coordinator/offensive line coach Brian Callahan, co-defensive coordinator/safeties coach Joe Harsimiak and defensive line coach Chad Wilt are under contract for 2022.

REDSHIRT USE​

The Gophers had two true freshmen use their redshirts in 2021 — cornerback Justin Walley and running back Mar’Keise Irving. The U had 13 remaining members of the 2021 class maintain four years of eligibility into 2022.

Minnesota had eight players from the 2020 class use their redshirts this season — running back Ky Thomas, receiver Daniel Jackson, safety Michael Dixon, defensive end Danny Striggow, cornerback Jalen Glaze, punter Mark Crawford, and linebackers Lucas Finnessy and Jaquondis Burns.

The Gophers had six players in the 2020 class play in fewer than four games and keep their redshirts — linebacker Cody Lindenberg, defensive back Miles Fleming, defensive ends Jalen Logan-Redding and Jah Joyner, receiver Doug Emilien and offensive lineman Aireontae Ersery. The U had five returning players in the 2020 class not participate in any games in 2021.

I thought the comments on the transfer portal were the most interesting part of the story.

without coming out and saying it, there is a clear implication that the coaches try to make it clear to players who may not see the field at MN that they should at least consider other options. Again, they are not "pulling scholarships," but if their meetings result in some players deciding to transfer and opening up scholarships for other players, it's a win-win situation for the Gophers.

I know some people are not big fans of the portal, but it's the new way of life in college FB. and if a team can plug some holes by using the portal, do it.

if that means some other player gets moved down on the depth chart, well, if they had played better, the coaches would not be looking to bring in help at that position.

It’s also being honest….

They could just not say anything and the kid thinks he might play.

It’s not unlike life in general. Sometimes you get told “it’s not working out”.

Last edited:

So will we be able to keep all the running backs?

REDSHIRT USE
The Gophers had two true freshmen use their redshirts in 2021 — cornerback Justin Walley and running back Mar’Keise Irving. The U had 13 remaining members of the 2021 class maintain four years of eligibility into 2022.

Minnesota had eight players from the 2020 class use their redshirts this season — running back Ky Thomas, receiver Daniel Jackson, safety Michael Dixon, defensive end Danny Striggow, cornerback Jalen Glaze, punter Mark Crawford, and linebackers Lucas Finnessy and Jaquondis Burns.

The Gophers had six players in the 2020 class play in fewer than four games and keep their redshirts — linebacker Cody Lindenberg, defensive back Miles Fleming, defensive ends Jalen Logan-Redding and Jah Joyner, receiver Doug Emilien and offensive lineman Aireontae Ersery. The U had five returning players in the 2020 class not participate in any games in 2021.
No, they didn't use a redshirt. Nor did they "burn" a redshirt, as they are still able to use it in the future. Using a redshirt means they played in 4 or fewer games, and maintained a year of eligibility.

No, they didn't use a redshirt. Nor did they "burn" a redshirt, as they are still able to use it in the future. Using a redshirt means they played in 4 or fewer games, and maintained a year of eligibility.
Thanks, I was a little confused reading this part. Thought my redshirt understanding was incorrect.

That's the question of the 2022 year. Will be fascinating to watch and see what happens.
3 of them coming off big injuries. So I assume it's Ky and Bucko that people are worried about losing?

I swear 247 showed Clark had committed to Rice for a few days, but then it was removed. Dunlap to Texas was a crystal ball, but I don’t believe he ever committed. Pretty surprised Dunlap hasn’t signed anywhere.

Actually, I'm worried about Bryce leaving the program more due to issues staying healthy.
Bryce leaving wouldn’t worry me, I think he is a solid player to have, but could be a scholarship better used elsewhere. He’s obviously not impatient about playing time, it might not be that important to him honestly, there’s a lot more to life.

Bryce leaving wouldn’t worry me, I think he is a solid player to have, but could be a scholarship better used elsewhere. He’s obviously not impatient about playing time, it might not be that important to him honestly, there’s a lot more to life.
He's filled in adequately when we needed him. Good guy to have around.

Top Bottom