Things have changed here

Rog

Reaction score
Any one miss the "Old Timer"?

That was when the "Hole" was interesting and fun to read.

Any one miss the "Old Timer"?

That was when the "Hole" was interesting and fun to read.

GO TO H3LL, LOSER!

Sorry...the negativity on this site is starting to get to me I guess.

There are still good reads here, you just have to wade through more garbage to find them these days.

Rog- I remember the good old days.....

Rog- I remember the good old days.....

Me too. There was even a time when Wren was readable. There were some great posters back then, but I think some of them were hired away by the pay boards. I don't know for sure because I'd rather donate here then pay for something I may or may not like somewhere else.

I remember back when we were affiliated with rivals, which I can't imagine too many here do. I remember sorb, who was a d-bag but made me laugh sometimes. The good ol' days indeed...

Me too. There was even a time when Wren was readable. There were some great posters back then, but I think some of them were hired away by the pay boards. I don't know for sure because I'd rather donate here then pay for something I may or may not like somewhere else.

Wren was readable for a long time before he went off the deep end. Must have been an age thing, but some people can't handle anonymous messageboards. But one Wren went, he went hard. There was another guy that went right before him. Can't remember his name off hand, but he also wrote page long posts...

there was also "big al 67". i met him at the gopher iowa game in '03. i won at the drawing before the game at the hotel.

edit: i remember there were some internet battles back then. i think between "u of m: wren" and "fla fan"

Silver lining

Look at the bright side.

In some ways the board is so much easier to read these days because of the predictability of the posts.

>> You have a huge percentage who bang the same drum over and over and over and over again. Requires you to do very little actual reading there.

>> Then you have your "new posters", 90-95% of those posts don't require even a glance either

Now that I think about it, I wonder just what the percentage is exactly of folks who have any remaining objectivity whatsoever. Anyone care to venture a guess?

At any rate, don't you have to at least be able to appreciate the predictability lately, and take some comfort in that?

The Hole is fun when we're winning. It's not fun when we're not. Really as simple as that.

The fact that the GH community has grown over the last number of years is a good thing. While some of the negativity gets old, the way to cure that is to win.

I'd rather have an angry (albeit often-times irrational) fan base than an apathetic one.

Go Gophers!!

I remember the gopher gridiron. Those were days. The AD had a message board, but there were some folks on that board who really bugged me. Mostly because they were such Wacker supporters and they thought, much like those backing Brewster today, that we couldn't get a better coach. When the grid came online it took a while for them to realize it existed. That was a golden age. No badger fans and no low expectation crowd. I can still recall the let down when I saw their first posts.

Golden Gopher Gridiron!

That was the Golden Age, mid to late nineties.

What made it great was that the then-current situation was so miserable (the Wacker years)
and without hope (we thought we'd be in the Dome for 100 years!) that we would often bring
up memories of better days (I love the history stuff).

I remember posts about chance encounters with guys like Ed Widseth, Dick Wildung,
Pug Lund, etc. Many of those guys were still around, so the greatness of Gopher history
was easy to connect with. I remember someone posting that Pug Lund had been in his
Classes when he returned to get his degree.

I guess that board was so full of hope, because that was all we had. The 2-9 to 4-7
seasons were completely miserable. The board got us through it. When we started winning
more under Mason, it got more fun, but then things began to morph in different directions,
leaving us where we are now.

I saw both Ed Widseth and Dick Wildung at gopher games in the dome.

The other thing that changed was idiots started getting computers and internet access about the same time Mason started get things back on track. The first 4-6 years of the world wide web were great.

Shortly after I discovered the board, some guy faked his death on his way to the Bowling Green game. I was immediately hooked.

I loved the late 90's-early 00's era of the GopherHole (on rivals back then). BleedGopher is right...when we win it's more fun. Back then there was optimism since Mason was a relatively new coach and the program was going in the right direction.

Missing the old days too

The mid-90's were fun...maybe because the grammar police were still afraid of a PC. Maybe because the world didn't end after each loss. I recall the board being full of a lot of recruitniks. For a Gopher basketball/football junkie Jason's board was more addicting than Potato Ole's. It was certainly a big step up from one sentence in Sid's jottings section.

I still can't believe Jerry Gee picked the Illini!

Top Bottom