The University of Minnesota will require all students to get vaccinated against COVID-19

Wally

Reaction score
This is a great post. I learned something, quite a few things actually. One question though, what is ADE?
Antibody Dependant Enhancement

I was concerned about it when they were trying to make vaccines but I think that risk is pretty clearly not there and the fact that the vaccine only uses the spike protein makes me feel even better about it being a non-issue.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
I don't know the level of indemnification the U has, but sure seems to me by the use of force there is an opening for a discrimination lawsuit.

Haha. It's not a right to be able to attend a certain college or university. Just like it's not a right to work at a certain company. Those are privileges. Students and employees make decisions to follow certain policies and guidelines to maintain their enrollment or job at pretty much all universities and companies. If someone doesn't like it, they are free to attend or work somewhere else.

If you want to have pre-marital sex in college, you probably shouldn't attend BYU. Pretty simple. Last I heard, BYU wasn't getting sued for their policy.

It's a free country, brother. But that doesn't mean people are free to do whatever they want where they want. It just means a person is free to show themselves the door at any time.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
This whole thing is funny. The walls are starting to close in on the anti-vaxxers and you can see it with each of these announcements.

I have a friend of a friend out here who has been talking big about how he will never get the vaxx. Super argumentative about it. Couldn't be reasoned with. He has worked at the same financial company for 15 years. Funny thing happened though. His company announced that anyone who was meeting with clients was required to get vaxxed. What did this guy do? Signed up for his shot within 2 days.

Ultimately, I think he just wanted to be able to tell people that he was "forced" to get it, so he could still stand on his hill and be a tough guy. But it's hilarious how quickly most people will shut up and get the shot when their career or education is on the line. Which at the end of the day, makes me ask "So what were those principles and beliefs you were on your soapbox about?"

I think the percentage of people who will actually quit their job or get kicked out of school over being told to get the vaxx is probably less than 10% of American adults. I actually respect those people more as they are truly going down with their beliefs. The rest of the people stalling are just trying to make their tantrums a public spectacle for attention until shit gets real and their money is on the line.

howeda7

Reaction score
This whole thing is funny. The walls are starting to close in on the anti-vaxxers and you can see it with each of these announcements.

I have a friend of a friend out here who has been talking big about how he will never get the vaxx. Super argumentative about it. Couldn't be reasoned with. He has worked at the same financial company for 15 years. Funny thing happened though. His company announced that anyone who was meeting with clients was required to get vaxxed. What did this guy do? Signed up for his shot within 2 days.
A friend of a friend? Spoof is going to be very upset with your lack of proper sources!

WriterGoph

Reaction score
A friend of a friend? Spoof is going to be very upset with your lack of proper sources!

HAHA. Someone I have known personally for 20+ years, but I wouldn't consider him a direct friend anymore.

So_Money

Reaction score

Ultimately, I think he just wanted to be able to tell people that he was "forced" to get it, so he could still stand on his hill and be a tough guy. But it's hilarious how quickly most people will shut up and get the shot when their career or education is on the line. Which at the end of the day, makes me ask "So what were those principles and beliefs you were on your soapbox about?"

I think the percentage of people who will actually quit their job or get kicked out of school over being told to get the vaxx is probably less than 10% of American adults. I actually respect those people more as they are truly going down with their beliefs. The rest of the people stalling are just trying to make their tantrums a public spectacle for attention until shit gets real and their money is on the line.
Here is the problem, you have people who know nothing about other people guilting them up to the point of force. This is fairly irresponsible. Myself, I have histamine sensitivity, this causes severe, life threatening reactions (anaphylaxis) to things from bee stings to drinking wine. The worst reactions have been to vaccines. 3-5 percent share my issue, I am sure there are other issues that would prevent people from getting a vaccine.

So a major problem I have with people who want to make decisions for others is they never conciser the consequences...it is profoundly selfish and insulting. You don't know enough to judge people or advise them.

Here is a tidbit, only half of people who have a deadly allergy to bees knows it, so when you increase the number of people taking vaccines, people who might not know they could have problems, it is bound to have consequences, we might be seeing some of this... It doesn't mean the vaccine is more dangerous, just that more people are talking it that shouldn't. People need to weigh the risks themselves, if crazy people have stupid reasons or stupid people have crazy reasons so be it...they could be right for the wrong reasons. I cannot be a supporter of the "I know what is best for you" mentality...it would want me to take a 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 chance with my life without knowing or make that decision for others who might not know better themselves. Just leave people alone and cope.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Here is the problem, you have people who know nothing about other people guilting them up to the point of force. This is fairly irresponsible. Myself, I have histamine sensitivity, this causes severe, life threatening reactions (anaphylaxis) to things from bee stings to drinking wine. The worst reactions have been to vaccines. 3-5 percent share my issue, I am sure there are other issues that would prevent people from getting a vaccine.

So a major problem I have with people who want to make decisions for others is they never conciser the consequences...it is profoundly selfish and insulting. You don't know enough to judge people or advise them.

Here is a tidbit, only half of people who have a deadly allergy to bees knows it, so when you increase the number of people taking vaccines, people who might not know they could have problems, it is bound to have consequences, we might be seeing some of this... It doesn't mean the vaccine is more dangerous, just that more people are talking it that shouldn't. People need to weigh the risks themselves, if crazy people have stupid reasons or stupid people have crazy reasons so be it...they could be right for the wrong reasons. I cannot be a supporter of the "I know what is best for you" mentality...it would want me to take a 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 chance with my life without knowing or make that decision for others who might not know better themselves. Just leave people alone and cope.

I'm pretty sure all these companies and universities allow for medical exemptions. Sounds like you would qualify. So what is the concern? People with similar issues can submit for one.

But not trusting the government or a religious exemption are shite (FYI, Jesus didn't have shit to say about vaccines or modern medicine)

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
(1) No vaccine on earth prevents infections. The COVID vaccine is not an exception to this. If a vaccine is effective, it will provide a person's immune system a "head start" in mounting an effective response. And if your immunoresponse is sufficiently effective due to the vaccine or a previous illness or just plain good luck, you will become infected but not experience the illness (and you will clear the infection rapidly).
If the virus doesn't take hold and the immune system cleared it out rapidly, then it wasn't an infection.

You've misused the word infection.

(2) There is a known mechanism - again not guesswork - wherein "leaky" vaccines (not all are, but the COVID vaccines are) create evolutionary pressure to generate variants. The reason is because a virus that mutates rapidly and is contagious responds as thus: (i) it mutates randomly in a vaccinated person; (ii) most of the mutational variations are killed off rapidly because of the person's "jump started" immunoresponse from the vaccine; (iii) the particular variations that are not killed off rapidly by virtue of the "jump started" immunoresponse are transmitted to the next vaccinated person before being killed off later; (iv) the next vaccinated person then begins his infection cycle with a mutational strain of the virus that is just a little better at evading a person's immunoresponse. And the cycle repeats. And with each iteration of the cycle, the virus becomes increasingly malign.
You're just describing how all viruses mutate, all the time.

Your claim that mutations within vaccinated people are more likely to cause problematic variants is bunk.

The virus has no idea if it's within the body of a vaccinated person or not. It will mutate how it mutates, either way.

As stated before, vaccines cannot prevent infection
You've misused the word infect. They can and do prevent infection.

Obviously that cannot physically prevent a single virion from flying up your nose. That is not an infection.

And you will get a nightmare booster/variant combination sooner rather than later.
No we won't. This is an odd figment of your imagination.

We've seen 5%+ with other coronavirus vaccines.
Link?

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Antibody Dependent Enhancement. In short, in a subpopulation of vaccinated people, those who exhibit ADE experience a course of events wherein the vaccine actually enhances the progression of the disease (often killing the patient). So the vaccine has the exact opposite effect of its intended purpose.
How many vaccinated people have died of ADE to date? :rolleyes:

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Did we know the long term affects of cigarettes 70 years ago?
We know that no vaccine going back to smallpox has caused an adverse effect more than 2 months after inoculation.

But mRNA is new tech! So???? Not good enough

So_Money

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all these companies and universities allow for medical exemptions. Sounds like you would qualify. So what is the concern? People with similar issues can submit for one.

But not trusting the government or a religious exemption are shite (FYI, Jesus didn't have shit to say about vaccines or modern medicine)
My problem is that the people with these problems often don't know they have them. I had progressively worse reactions to vaccines in my 20's with no prior issues. You are advising people on decisions that are not yours to make and the pressures being applied could (will) directly harm someone. I am not saying don't get the vaccine mind you, but I am not telling people to get it either...it is not my place.

And if you trust the government given the compendium of human history we possess...I have to question why? Not just with this, with anything. Just saying.

Last edited:

WriterGoph

Reaction score
My problem is that the people with these problems often don't know they have them. I had progressively worse reactions to vaccines in my 20's with no prior issues. You are advising people on decisions that are not yours to make and the pressures being applied could (will) directly harm someone. I am not saying don't get the vaccine mind you, but I am not telling people to get it either...it is not my place.

And if you trust the government given the compendium of human history we possess...I have to question why? Not just with this, with anything. Just saying.

It's not like I love the government. I just love being able to continue my life in this strange time. I'm able to go out of the country, attend games, go to nightclubs, eat at restaurants, spend time with my older parents. That's all possible with a vaccine card.

Any concern about a reaction to a vaccine is nothing to me compared to the idea of living in a social bubble for years.

I guess we all have different priorities.

So_Money

Reaction score
It's not like I love the government. I just love being able to continue my life in this strange time. I'm able to go out of the country, attend games, go to nightclubs, eat at restaurants, spend time with my older parents. That's all possible with a vaccine card.

Any concern about a reaction to a vaccine is nothing to me compared to the idea of living in a social bubble for years.

I guess I would say if I can live generally stress free without the luxury of being able to get a vaccine others should be able to live with knowing others are unvaccinated. It is called being well adjusted. No one's actions are preventing your ability to do things other than leadership, but like it or not society eventually needs to move on, we all need to coexist and no one has any more claim to this planet than anyone else. As such I am not overly concerned with the actions of others whether I agree or not, because I am not in control of it. I just want to live my life to the extent my comfort level allows. I do many of the things you do without a vaccine card. We have the same priorities, we don't however share the same paradigm.

Last edited:

PhillyGopher

Reaction score
Shouldn’t that concern you. Isn’t that an admission that they have difficulty making safe vaccines. I’m not sure this is an argument in your favor.
it has more to do with the rampant meaningless lawsuits in the early eighties

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I was hoping to get away from anti-vax lies when I stopped reading the off topic board. But this nonsense has now infected the football board.

The chances that you or anyone else posting this crap actually looked at the study is pretty close to 0. The study looked at a group of healthcare workers that were not able to leave the hospital for two weeks so were in almost constant proximity with sick people. The 251x number comes from comparing these healthcare workers infected with the delta variant to samples from a year and a half ago. Other studies have shown upwards of 1,000 times more viral load with the delta variant than the original. The study had nothing to do with comparing vaccinated vs unvaccinated.
48002DE9-7971-4D68-AB1C-2F6048FDDD64.jpeg

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I hope that guy isn’t a medical doctor. Everything that was required for full approval was completed. 6 months of monitoring of phase 3 participants. That’s always been the case. But Pfizer and Moderna have both said they’ll voluntarily continue to monitor participants for an extra year and a half, mainly to monitor effectiveness.

Seriously, can we keep this discussion off of the football board. The vaccine requirements are here, whether you like it or not.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I was hoping to get away from anti-vax lies when I stopped reading the off topic board. But this nonsense has now infected the football board.
Seriously, can we keep this discussion off of the football board. The vaccine requirements are here, whether you like it or not.
Dude - this thread is on the OTB now.
It was moved.

alaska

Reaction score
We know that no vaccine going back to smallpox has caused an adverse effect more than 2 months after inoculation.

But mRNA is new tech! So???? Not good enough
This is absolutely untrue. Where do you pull this stuff out from. You literally are telling this board a lie.

alaska

Reaction score

Then get the vaccine. Thats your choice. My choice is mine. Go on with you life. You are good. You can do everything you want now that you have the vaccine.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
My choice is mine.
No one is forcing you to do anything.

Go ahead, lose your job, pay higher rates on health insurance, be unable to fly, be unable to go to sporting events and concerts. What great choices you've made!

bga1

Reaction score
One day you will understand. Your eyes will be opened. Hopefully its not when we are in complete lockdown by the government and can not make any choices for ourselves.
They are so willing to give up freedom for safety. This life is short. I want to live it free.

Top Bottom