The University of Minnesota will require all students to get vaccinated against COVID-19

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Which means all players… which means we should never have to forfeit due to Covid 😄
I hope so.

Depends on what the contact rules are.

Like if you're vaccinated and in contact with someone with COVID ... do you miss time?

No idea what that as pect of the rules is. I hope you don't have to otherwise risk of forfeit is still a risk.

Gopher Fitz

Reaction score
I hope so.

Depends on what the contact rules are.

Like if you're vaccinated and in contact with someone with COVID ... do you miss time?

No idea what that as pect of the rules is. I hope you don't have to otherwise risk of forfeit is still a risk.
I'd suspect if they do have to miss due to close contact it would be significantly less than before or only have to miss upon + test result or something.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
I'd suspect if they do have to miss due to close contact it would be significantly less than before or only have to miss upon + test result or something.
Yeah I would hope it is something like like that.

Exposure, 'oh noes' ... need to test negative... back in the game.

alaska

Reaction score
so why do we need to have covid rules if all students have to get vaccinated...then no masks on campus required anymore correct? oh wait.

ALso, can someone tell me where this ends? if the vaccine doesnt work and you can still spread it easily when does this end? 100% vax rate does nothing really

discuss and feel free to throw me under the bus. Im good with that. just want to ask some logical questions. thats all

MplsGopher

Reaction score
then no masks on campus required anymore correct?
Post #10 already answered this

if the vaccine doesnt work and you can still spread it easily when does this end? 100% vax rate does nothing really
What "spread it easily" ? Not true. The vaccine makes it much more difficult to spread, if you ever are contagious at all.

GopherPharmaBiz

Reaction score
Is it true that they’re not mandating vaccines for faculty and staff? I just skimmed the article and didn’t see that mentioned either way, but thought I’d read that somewhere.

if that’s true, that seems kind of hypocritical to me. “Vaccines for thee but not for me” kind of thing

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
so why do we need to have covid rules if all students have to get vaccinated...then no masks on campus required anymore correct? oh wait.

ALso, can someone tell me where this ends? if the vaccine doesnt work and you can still spread it easily when does this end? 100% vax rate does nothing really

discuss and feel free to throw me under the bus. Im good with that. just want to ask some logical questions. thats all
Because COVID doesn't just infect students....

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
What are the liability issues for the U if one of those students has serious side effects or God forbid dies of a mandatory vaccine. Look, I understand that the chances of something happening to you with covid are far greater than an episode form the vaccine, but........And if there is no liability from any entity mandating vaccines......what next?

Taji34

Reaction score

The problem is in saying the vaccine works, of doesn't, when that's not really the case.

Vaccines have always been about slowing the spread and severity of a disease. People got excited when the initial results showed the COVID vaccine had such a high efficacy, making it reasonable for eradication if everyone was vaccinated. However, due to multiple factors, a variant evolved that reduced the efficacy regarding infection greatly.

But the fact of the matter remains, even if it won't protect you 100% from infection, having 40% chance if not being infected when exposed in addition to whatever natural chance you had still means your less likely to catch it.

Further, it still is almost 100% effective preventing severe infection, which is reason in and of itself IMO.

Masks have come back because we can no longer say that a vaccinated person can't spread COVID. With the original strain of COVID we could, but the delta variant changed that.

We have to reduce the spread as much as possible so that COVID doesn't mutate to a point where the vaccines don't do anything, putting us back at square one.

Taji34

Reaction score
What are the liability issues for the U if one of those students has serious side effects or God forbid dies of a mandatory vaccine. Look, I understand that the chances of something happening to you with covid are far greater than an episode form the vaccine, but........And if there is no liability from any entity mandating vaccines......what next?
They've never had liability for any of the other vaccines they mandate, why is this one different?

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
The answer is 0 liability.

Same goes for vaccine providers and etc.

Been that way for vaccines in the US for a while now:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
What are the liability issues for the U if one of those students has serious side effects or God forbid dies of a mandatory vaccine.
What are the liability issues for the U if one of those students has serious side effects or dies of the mandatory meningitis vaccine that students in all colleges have to get to live in dorms?

Taking a wild guess that they've thought of this already.

MGGopher

Reaction score
The problem is in saying the vaccine works, of doesn't, when that's not really the case.

Vaccines have always been about slowing the spread and severity of a disease. People got excited when the initial results showed the COVID vaccine had such a high efficacy, making it reasonable for eradication if everyone was vaccinated. However, due to multiple factors, a variant evolved that reduced the efficacy regarding infection greatly.

But the fact of the matter remains, even if it won't protect you 100% from infection, having 40% chance if not being infected when exposed in addition to whatever natural chance you had still means your less likely to catch it.

Further, it still is almost 100% effective preventing severe infection, which is reason in and of itself IMO.

Masks have come back because we can no longer say that a vaccinated person can't spread COVID. With the original strain of COVID we could, but the delta variant changed that.

We have to reduce the spread as much as possible so that COVID doesn't mutate to a point where the vaccines don't do anything, putting us back at square one.
Yup, if Alaska was genuinely asking, then this is the answer. To put it even more simply:

1) A vaccine greatly reduces the chances of catching and spreading all variants of COVID. It's not 100% effective, but I've yet to see any data indicating the shots aren't effective.

2) A vaccine greatly reduces the chances of being hospitalized, put on a ventilator, and/or dying. In my state, there were 1,500 people hospitalized with COVID in the past 30 days and 90% were unvaccinated. Of the 10% who were, zero were on a ventilator unless they had an underlying respiratory condition.

So mandates are essentially about both reducing spread to the unvaccinated (both adults who chose not to and young children who can't) AND about preventing overcrowding in hospitals and strain on public resources. Masks help with both as well.

PS: Can we all agree on this: Ski-U-Mah, RTB, Go Gophers!

alaska

Reaction score
So th big question I have is when can this possible end them? From the info I am reading from all of you is accurate that we should have masks indefinitely and mandate vaccines for eternity....and even then we can still all get it and spread it. Is this correct?

Simply answer this question: when can is possibly end? If we use the ideas above.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
From the info I am reading from all of you is accurate that we should have masks indefinitely and mandate vaccines for eternity....
Is this willful ignorance or are you even reading what anyone posted?

Most of this stuff really is like ... middle school level 'understanding more than one thing at a time' kinda stuff.

You don't seem to do it.

It's not hard to understand.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Is this willful ignorance or are you even reading what anyone posted?

Most of this stuff really is like ... middle school level 'understanding more than one thing at a time' kinda stuff.

You don't seem to do it.

It's not hard to understand.

Save your breath. Alaska literally doesn't post on the football board unless a topic veers into Trump, vaccines, BLM or anti-racism. He must have some kind of word alert set up to let him know when he can come repeat one of his five talking points.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Save your breath. Alaska literally doesn't post on the football board unless a topic veers into Trump, vaccines, BLM or anti-racism. He must have some kind of word alert set up to let him know when he can come repeat one of his five talking points.
Yeah not sure how I didn't have him on ignore yet but done. Not really clear to me if he chooses not to read or can't ... or what. No time for that anymore.

Top Bottom