THE U, long before there was da U

I have been away from Minnesota for almost 20 years, so I completely forgot we called it "The U". I remember it being the "U of M", but I lost that part of my vocabulary too, because I learned other schools also refer to themselves as that.

I just have to say it in full when talking to others, "The University of Minnesota". I can't even just say "The Minnesota Gophers", because people usually don't even know what I am talking about. I have to make sure I use the word "University". People outside of Big Ten country are generally clueless.

I have been away from Minnesota for almost 20 years, so I completely forgot we called it "The U". I remember it being the "U of M", but I lost that part of my vocabulary too, because I learned other schools also refer to themselves as that.

I just have to say it in full when talking to others, "The University of Minnesota". I can't even just say "The Minnesota Gophers", because people usually don't even know what I am talking about. I have to make sure I use the word "University". People outside of Big Ten country are generally clueless.

I recall posting on the rivals USC (Trojans) board and then having an SC fan follow me to the Gophers rivals board only to ask why we let Miami(FL) steal the U from us. I think that many people older than 35 to 40 recognize the University of Minnesota as the U.

Top Bottom