The story of Jeremy Tyler

Pewterschmidt

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/sports/basketball/08tyler.html?_r=2&ref=sports

Can't decide if it's funny or sad. If there ever were a cautionary tale for other high school players, Tyler's is it.

The catch 22 is those that decide to skip a year of high school to play in Europe aren't close to being mature enough to play in a pro league with men. I could see someone like Harrison Barnes making the jump and it being a positive experience but he's not stupid enough to make such a move. He actually has a work ethic and a good head on his shoulders, 2 things that would need to be absent for someone to think playing in Europe instead of finishing high school is a good idea.

I seem to recall Sonny Vaccaro talking about this kid being some kind of trailblazer who would one day be one of the great success stories of basketball. To top that off, he went on ESPN, was basically ripped apart by a professor from USC, and at one point said, word-for-word "we need to get away from this maturity stuff".

Now, fast forward things and low and behold, Tyler lacks skills and is indeed immature. Jeez, who would have guessed? :rolleyes: What a joke. Is it possible that Tyler could still become a player? Of course. But this kid has the influence of Vaccaro all over him. Any other high school kids and their over-zealous parents want to take on good ole Sonny as an advisor?

Too many parents want their kids to be prodigies. Kids need time to mature. It is pathetic when kids are rushed into performing as adults. Childhood has a purpose.
Jeremy Tyler should be playing HS ball and it should be his parents who are complaining about how loud he plays his music not his Israeli neighbors.

is college that hard that you can't do one semester of work? when second semester starts you half ass is, then when the tournament is over no more class enter the draft.

i can't believe that an 18 year old thinks he can go over to a foreign country and tell off his coach and say he doesn't know anything about basketball. maybe college would be too hard for him.

He's in a bad situation as the pros may want to make an example out of him. He is trying to skirt the system and that is usually not well received.

He's in a bad situation as the pros may want to make an example out of him. He is trying to skirt the system and that is usually not well received.

The system is a farce in and of itself. Do I agree with Tyler's decision? No because, in the end, he's just being used. It's just that his master is different this time. Instead of the NCAA and a University it's Sonny Vaccarro.

Top Bottom