The Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 8/26/12

DL65

Reaction score
Today's synopsis of coach Kill's responses to Sid and Dave's questions on 'CCOs the Sports Huddle:

1) Sid opened the show by asking Kill what they have left to accomplish in preparation for Thursday's game at UNLV: Just finished up with a meeting before the Sports Huddle. "We have a lot of work to do today . . . last day in pads . . . building on what we've done the past 2 1/2 weeks . . . working on what we struggled with . . . trying to eliminate the mistakes we've made and working on timing."

2) Young team: Kill said this is the youngest team that he has been associated with in his 30 years of coaching. (Similar to the second year team at Southern Illinois that he coached.) They're taking only 12 seniors to Las Vegas. He also said, "The young players are hungry and the future looks good." He finished the question saying the team had an excellent practice yesterday. (There's no doubt he's excited about this year's team and getting the season started.)

3) Sid asked who the seniors are that will be starting against UNLV: He gave only one name - Marquies Gray. Marquies is the only senior starting on offense. On defense, Kill said one senior will start on the defensive line ((DL Wilhite?), two linebackers (Mike Rallis and Keanon Cooper (that's my guess)), and a couple cornerbacks (Troy Stoudermire and Michael Carter (again, my guess)).

4) Sid asked about Marquies Gray improvement: Kill said, "He's done well! He's improved since the Illinois game . . . experience under his belt." He went on to say that Gray has looked good in the two-a-days; hasn't turned the ball over much in practice. "He understands what he's doing." Kill said the tailbacks will have to play well and the receivers have to catch the ball in order to help Gray have a good year. (Again, he sounded positive about Gray's development at quarterback . . . compared him to Chandler Harnish's development at NIU.) He also mentioned the two years he played receiver . . .I'm sure he wished he had practiced more at the QB position. He closed the question by saying: "We're pleased with the team."

5) Sid asked who the starting runningback is: Kill answered, "We play a lot of player groupings . . . sometimes we will have 2 or 3 runningbacks on the field at the same time . . . 5 or 6 players capable of playing." Names mentioned in passing: James Gillum, KJ Maye, Donnell Kirkwood, and Devon Wright.

6) Sid said an assistant coach, linebacker coach Bill Miller, is high on Brendan Beal: Kill responded saying everyone wants to see Beal succeed, especially because of the injuries he has had to overcome. He didn't know too much about Brendan Beal when to arrived at Minnesota because of his injuries, which have prevented Beal from showing what he can do. Nevertheless, he sounded positive about Beal . . . he said he's had an excellent camp even with a broken hand . . . "Got to keep him healthy."

7) Dave Mona asked about the difficulty in reducing the team to 65 players on the traveling team from 105 that have practiced in the two-a-days: Kill said it is hard and difficult because "A lot of guys are close." It's difficult to tell the players, "They've all worked very hard." He's an advocate of playing at home for the first game: it's a reward to the players that have worked hard in fall practices. By playing on the road for the first game, a lot of players will be very disappointed in not making the trip.

8) Sid asked about the team's health going into Thursday's game: Kill said the team's health after two-a-days is very good. The exception is Brandon Green who has a nagging knee injury.

9) Sid asked about the scouting report on UNLV: It's their third year under coach Hauck, "He's doing it the right way - building the team with redshirts and JUCO players . . . this is their time to turn the corner." He said a redshirted freshman will start at QB (no name given) . . . they'll give you 2 TE looks and run the pistol, too. Kill said they'll have to be ready for a lot of different looks on offense.

10) Dave asked about playing in 90 degree heat: Kill said you can't control the weather . . . and they haven't practiced in the heat (Kill also said the Rebels left Las Vegas for some practices and haven't practiced in the heat either). He said they'll take the necessary precautions before and during the game: make sure the players are hydrated with electrolytes, gatorade during the game and there will be a lot of shuttling in of players - "Two deeps will have to play."

11) Dave asked about the kicking/punting game: The decision on who will do the punting may be made at game time. "We're punting better than last year . . . not game conditions." Kill sounded pleased with the competition. Coach Kill was enthused and very positive about the team's place kicking, "We have two good ones." A decision related to the starting kicker could be made Tuesday.

Go Gophers!!

3) Sid asked who the seniors are that will be starting against UNLV: He gave only one name - Marquies Gray. Marquies is the only senior starting on offense. On defense, Kill said one senior will start on the defensive line ((DL Wilhite?), two linebackers (Mike Rallis and Keanon Cooper (that's my guess)), and a couple cornerbacks (Troy Stoudermire and Michael Carter (again, my guess)).

Go Gophers!!

I remember when Sid asked the question coach Kill had to think about it a little bit. Therefore I suspect when he didn't mention TE John Rabe on offense it was just an oversight. The other potential senior starter on offense that he also didn't mention was Brandon Green. That one was very likely not an oversight since Brandon has been having knee problems during fall camp.

I remember when Sid asked the question coach Kill had to think about it a little bit. Therefore I suspect him not mentioning TE John Rabe on offense was just an oversight. The other potential senior starter on offense that he also didn't mention was Brandon Green. That one was very likely not an oversight since Brandon has been having knee problems during fall camp.

I believe you're correct, Killjoy. I'm confident Kill doesn't like to name players because of the chance of omitting a players name.

Thanks for your input.

I wish I could have transcribed the ADs comments. I thought his responses to Dave's questions were good and interesting.

Go Gophers!!

I wish I could have transcribed the ADs comments. I thought his responses to Dave's questions were good and interesting.

Go Gophers!!

I will try to post the podcast of that section on line here Monday.

DL65 you should get a better laud, be even made a knight. Anyone who can listen to WCCO for 15-30 minutes even with Coach Kill should be honored by the University, certainly the Gopher Hole for action beyond the call of duty. A special commandation for those Sundays with Mike Max.
But, if it will suffice. Thank You!

I think it's 85 players. You were projecting your moniker. Thanks as always. It's 90 in Vegas as we speak...

Travel squad is in the 65-70 range. A few years ago it was more for non-con games than B1G.

I as able to catch some of Teague's comments during his segment- Here's my quick take on what was discussed.

Took some questions from Sid about the Bball and football practice facilities and if they'll ever be able to build near TCF for football. Teague really didn't answer the football topic, but talked extensively about the need for a practice facility which would be located near the Pavillion. He also mentioned how he needs to get students to the games, and how to do that- mainly game day experience. He took questions and comments from the audience, and agreed with an audience member that football games need to be an all day campus event, but I don't remember him listing any specifics on how to accomplish that. He did mention he'd like to bring back some of the old traditions, including having the band march down University before the game.

The UNLV QB's name is Nick Sherry. Met him last night at a "Meet the Rebels" event. Hate to say it, but he could not have been any nicer, as were James Boyd, Brad Overand and every other player I spoke with. Offensive coordinator Brent Myers told me that he and Bill Miller are good friends from their days on the Arizona State staff. I don’t know why I was surprised but all the linemen knew the name of the Gopher they would be lined up against. Go Gophers! Photo of Nick Sherry and my daughter (I think). A very nice young man.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...175804.1355923803&type=1&theater&notif_t=like

Thanks DL.

Interesting info in this update.

I wonder if it was an accidental omission to not mention Cobb. Is he injured?

It's also interesting to me that Wilhite is getting the nod. Good for him, that is a position with some battles for PT (Perry, Amafuela, Wilhite, Wilhite), so it's nice to see a SR, especially a standout student-athlete like Wilhite win that job (for now at least).

I do have to say, I'm a little concerned with Kill's mentioning about our youth so much. I'm sure he is just being honest and it's 100% true, but it is starting to feel a little bit like early last season when Kill talked about our youth so much.

I think some of it is coach-speak. Kill spoke glowingly of Wells back in the spring, but I've yet to see his name pop up this summer.

Saw somewhere that Marcus Fuller tweeted that the coaches are not satisfied with Cobb's blocking. It appears until he solve that problem his playing time will be limited.

I think some of it is coach-speak. Kill spoke glowingly of Wells back in the spring, but I've yet to see his name pop up this summer.

Both Wells and Vereen will be the starting safeties. They have received positive praise but they haven't been talked about like the new d-backs have been. My take on that in this case no news is good news.

Also the veteran corner backs Carter and Stoudermire haven't been in the forefront either lately. That is again because the new transfers and freshman d-backs are receiving all the attention. Six of them will traveling to Las Vegas. It is expected that these six will be getting a significant amount of playing time Thursday night along with the four veterans. The only problem with the "veterans" is that they are old news.

Thanks DL.

Interesting info in this update.

It's also interesting to me that Wilhite is getting the nod. Good for him, that is a position with some battles for PT (Perry, Amafuela, Wilhite, Wilhite), so it's nice to see a SR, especially a standout student-athlete like Wilhite win that job (for now at least).

I do have to say, I'm a little concerned with Kill's mentioning about our youth so much. I'm sure he is just being honest and it's 100% true, but it is starting to feel a little bit like early last season when Kill talked about our youth so much.

I have to agree - Kill really seems to have mentioned "youth" a lot this year. Last year it was "team speed". Both are\were true, but he says it in every interview so it begins to sound odd.

For me, Kill's comments about the team's punting and place kicking were extremely important and caught my attention.

It was good to hear, "We're punting better than last year." He went on to say, however, that practice is not the same as under game conditions. Nevertheless, if there's good competition and there's marked improvement that would go a long ways toward another win or two, IMO. Of course, the opposite is true, too. How many games are lost because of poor punting and short fields for the opposition to run their offense? Winning team's always seem to have strong special teams play. It'll be interesting to see who is selected to head up the punting duties. Let's hope there is big improvement over the past couple years.

Kill sounded very positive about the place kicking phase. It's good to have two strong kickers, which we found to be extremely beneficial last year against Iowa: Hawthorne couldn't kick because of a leg injury and Wettstein filled in admirably - extra points, field goals and the important onside kick.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom