The Sports Huddle and Gratitude

DL65

Reaction score
First, I'm grateful that Jerry Kill has been on the Sports Huddle weekly since his hiring. His predecessors were on the Sports Huddle during the season, only. He's missed a couple shows when he was resting in the hospital after suffering a seizure, at which time one of his coordinators filled in.

Second, and this I believe is important, I'm grateful that Sid and Dave provide a time slot for Gopher football and Jerry Kill each week, especially in the off-season when many might say, and probably do, "Who cares?" I don't believe the other electronic media outlets have been as generous. According to many GopherHolers, the reporting of Gopher-related information is even less in the print media. Most Gopher football news occurs during the season; however, an occasional blog is posted in the off-season.

I should have posted my thoughts about the Sports Huddle a couple weeks ago, when there was some dissatisfaction by a few GopherHolers with the questioning - they would probably say the lack thereof - by Sid and Dave to a query about the coaching staff's monitoring of social media postings by players and recruits. Coach Kill said that they were considering offering recruit(s) a scholarship, but decided not to upon reading some internet comments that had been posted by the recruit(s). Kill did not elaborate as to what had been said and some wished Dave and Sid had asked specific follow-up questions related the reported incident(s).

in any case, some weeks there's more information than others during the Kill's Sports Huddle time slot. Nevertheless, I'm grateful that there is a weekly show related to Gopher football.

Thanks to Sid and Dave!

Go Gophers!!

First, I'm grateful that Jerry Kill has been on the Sports Huddle weekly since his hiring. His predecessors were on the Sports Huddle during the season, only. He's missed a couple shows when he was resting in the hospital after suffering a seizure, at which time one of his coordinators filled in.

Second, and this I believe is important, I'm grateful that Sid and Dave provide a time slot for Gopher football and Jerry Kill each week, especially in the off-season when many might say, and probably do, "Who cares?" I don't believe the other electronic media outlets have been as generous. According to many GopherHolers, the reporting of Gopher-related information is even less in the print media. Most Gopher football news occurs during the season; however, an occasional blog is posted in the off-season.

I should have posted my thoughts about the Sports Huddle a couple weeks ago, when there was some dissatisfaction by a few GopherHolers with the questioning - they would probably say the lack thereof - by Sid and Dave to a query about the coaching staff's monitoring of social media postings by players and recruits. Coach Kill said that they were considering offering recruit(s) a scholarship, but decided not to upon reading some internet comments that had been posted by the recruit(s). Kill did not elaborate as to what had been said and some wished Dave and Sid had asked specific follow-up questions related the reported incident(s).

in any case, some weeks there's more information than others during the Kill's Sports Huddle time slot. Nevertheless, I'm grateful that there is a weekly show related to Gopher football.

Thanks to Sid and Dave!

Go Gophers!!

And if Coach Kill ignored such things, we could end up with guys who bark at police dogs:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-antonio-morrison-arrested-barking-police-dog

1. On the Sports Huddle - I know a lot of people make fun of Sid, but at least they try to present some information on their program - unlike ESPN1500, where the hosts just spout their own opinions all day long.

2. Kill has to walk a fine line in these interviews - wants to give the fans some info, but I'm sure there are things he can't say (or shouldn't say) on the air.

I'm Grateful Too!

Thank you to Sid and Dave. Thank you to WCCO for their support of Gopher sports!
I do heartily agree the year round time slot is awesome, beneficial and important to building Gopher football.

But DL on many Sundays with church and family I wouldn't be aware of the content without your professional reports. I look forward to them each and every Sunday!
Thank you so much for taking the time to keep us all informed. I definitely appreciate it!

DL, not only do I like your town, I love your reports. As for 'CCO, I grew up listening to Dick Enroth do Gopher games (for basketball, he loved saying, "He crosses the time line") and his color men were Bernie Bierman and my namesake, Halsey Hall. And of course then we had the great Ray. (I will not comment on Dave Lee.) I was thinking today of how Mason (I love the guy on Barriero now) was on the Huddle. He was usually aggravated by questions. I love Kill's approach. I really believe he is building a powerhouse and I love looking forward every week to Gopher football reports. It is my first love.

The bean counters at See BS see advertising dollars in The Sports Huddle. I could be wrong, but I don't think Sid or Dave own the rights to the show, nor buy time on the neighbor to broadcast it. I don't have the stats to back it up, but it has to be one of the best listened to hours on 830.

While I am not so generous with the radio station, I have been more than impressed with Coach Kill's willingness, good humor, and realizing just a tidbit in Mid July is as valuable as a post game interview after a win.

And when it comes to thank you, DL65 is there every Sunday. Patiently waiting to transcribe The Coach Kill segment of the Sports Huddle. Where else can you get customized notation from a radio show? DL, you are the man.

Thanks to Sid and Dave!

Go Gophers!!

Speaking of gratatude I think you should post your picture on Gopher Hole so we can recognize you at games. If you ever have to buy your own beer at TCF shame on Gopher Holers!

In leiu of a beer (for now) I'll just say thanks again.

Thanks to Sid and Dave!

Go Gophers!!
the coach's comment was probably not related to specific kids this year any more than any other year. They have monitored this stuff for a long time, this is not a new thing.

the coach's comment was probably not related to specific kids this year any more than any other year. They have monitored this stuff for a long time, this is not a new thing.

I agree. I took his comments as being general and not specific to any period.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom