The Senate Filibuster

Wally

Reaction score
The filibuster is perfect. The whole intent of the federal government was that nothing was supposed to get done unless there was broad support. Makes it tough for the progress at all costs and 50.1% can do anything crowds.

I agree, sadly...

bga1

Reaction score
Our system has come to a grinding halt for the last 15 years because you need 60 votes to pass something. You should need 51 votes to pass something. 67 votes to halt debate.

I like a good old fashioned Mr Smith goes to Washington filibuster better than 41 people shutting down the whole system.
The more they do the worse off we are. Every move they make expands government which is three times to large.

KGF

Reaction score
By gerrymandering their state Congressional districts and putting up barriers to Democrats voting in general. If you don't think they are targeting their voter "intergrity" rules to do this you're dreaming.

Republicans already have a big built in advantage in the Senate and they use the above to gain it in the house.
There are 50 states. Many of them are DemAOCrat states. DemAOCrats gerrymander in their states, some of which are the largest populations, which makes it even easier to gerrymander district lines. I’ve already provided you the ThirtyFiveEight analysis that suggests that DemAOCrats have actually gained a slight advantage via gerrymandering. In any case, the most likely impact of gerrymandering is give or take a few congressional districts nationwide. As I said before, if the state’s citizens don’t approved of the re-districting, they are free to elect new state reps every 2 years.

How is that Republican control?

So your argument seems to be ‘We must pass new federal Voting Rights legislation to control constitutionally authorized state legislators from controlling their own state’s elections b/c you don’t trust those constitutionally authorized state legislators not to overturn the results of counties in their own states, which would be in violation of the US Constitution on federal authority over state elections.

Georgia has far more freedom and access to vote than New York or Biden’s home state of Delaware, both run by DemAOCrats.

Stop quoting howie quoting CNN. It’s all bullshit.

BTW, how in the hell do “Republicans already have a big built in advantage in the Senate” when they are the minority party?

howeda7

Reaction score
If you want to destroy the country, there would be no easier way than to allow one political party to gain control, then make rules to assure their political control indefinitely.
The irony.

howeda7

Reaction score
howie liked that.

Now, explain how the minority party does that? And please, keep the US Constitution in mind when you answer…assuming you know anything about it.
They're not the minority party in a majority of states. They can and have made it as hard for certain folks to vote. If that doesn't work and they still lose, they will scream "fraud!" and declare the GQP candidate won. Easy.

Spoofin

Reaction score
By gerrymandering their state Congressional districts and putting up barriers to Democrats voting in general. If you don't think they are targeting their voter "intergrity" rules to do this you're dreaming.

Republicans already have a big built in advantage in the Senate and they use the above to gain it in the house.
3F08FF29-4CAA-473E-BB66-642187E93358.jpeg

howeda7

Reaction score
There are 50 states. Many of them are DemAOCrat states. DemAOCrats gerrymander in their states, some of which are the largest populations, which makes it even easier to gerrymander district lines.
This isn't true. And one party wants to end all gerrymandering, the other desperately wants to keep it. I wonder why that is?

I’ve already provided you the ThirtyFiveEight analysis that suggests that DemAOCrats have actually gained a slight advantage via gerrymandering.
More lies. They have gained slightly vs. 2010 maps. A brutal GQP slanted gerrymander is very slightly less brutal. They are still at a massive disadvantage overall.

In any case, the most likely impact of gerrymandering is give or take a few congressional districts nationwide.
When one party has to win the overall vote by 6-8% to gain control of the House, it's not a small advantage. It's a massive one. Your side can get outvoted by millions of votes and still rule. You love it.

So your argument seems to be ‘We must pass new federal Voting Rights legislation to control constitutionally authorized state legislators from controlling their own state’s elections b/c you don’t trust those constitutionally authorized state legislators not to overturn the results of counties in their own states, which would be in violation of the US Constitution on federal authority over state elections.
The actions of the GQP and state legislatures in AZ, WI and MI among others PROVE that they can't be trusted to honor the will of the voters. All sent met and sent fake electors claiming Trump won when he didn't. You don't care. And when that didn't work, some of them and thousands like them came to Washington, stormed the capital and tried to stop the certification by force.
Georgia has far more freedom and access to vote than New York or Biden’s home state of Delaware, both run by DemAOCrats.
If you want to argue that all states should have early/weekend voting, Amen. I agree. But this is about targeting certain voters and making it harder for them to vote than it has been. 1 drop box in all of Harris county Texas. One drop box for all of Milwaukee. Sunday voting that's been happening for decades is suddenly no longer OK. etc. etc. etc.

When you don't like facts, you scream CNN! Drink.

BTW, how in the hell do “Republicans already have a big built in advantage in the Senate” when they are the minority party?
Much like the House, they can lose the popular vote by a lot and still have 50% of the Senate seats.

• Haha
Reactions: KGF

scools12

Reaction score
Leftists are pissed 48 Senators can’t override the will of at least 52 other Senators so they can rewrite the election laws passed by each of the individual 50 states.

And somehow this is being framed as SAVING DEMOCRACY.

Wally

Reaction score
There are 50 states. Many of them are DemAOCrat states. DemAOCrats gerrymander in their states, some of which are the largest populations, which makes it even easier to gerrymander district lines. I’ve already provided you the ThirtyFiveEight analysis that suggests that DemAOCrats have actually gained a slight advantage via gerrymandering. In any case, the most likely impact of gerrymandering is give or take a few congressional districts nationwide. As I said before, if the state’s citizens don’t approved of the re-districting, they are free to elect new state reps every 2 years.

How is that Republican control?

I will withdraw my house comments, I was wrong. But I am still strongly against gerrymandering, I would jail any politician who does it. It helps politicians but hurts the country. It makes more seats safe and removes any need for the parties to work together. The more competitive seats the better our government will work.

As to the Senate, the advantage for Republicans is states like ND, SD and WY get two Senators and California and NY get two Senators. The Republicans have to be idiots to lose the Senate, which thankfully they are.

Wally

Reaction score
Senators aren't elected by popular vote? Well, you learn something every day.

In a 50/50 Senate the Democrats would have gotten way more votes than the Republicans, that's what he means.

One vote in WY equals 20 votes in California or something close to that.

Spoofin

Reaction score
More lies. They have gained slightly vs. 2010 maps. A brutal GQP slanted gerrymander is very slightly less brutal. They are still at a massive disadvantage overall.
Someone is lying....
1642125692077.png

scools12

Reaction score
This isn't true. And one party wants to end all gerrymandering, the other desperately wants to keep it. I wonder why that is?
One party wants to eliminate the requirement to prove who you are to vote and allow ballot harvesting. I wonder why that is?

howeda7

Reaction score
With all the millions of George Soros/Facebook money spent on covid/space lasers to overturn the election etc. I can't believe no one thought to make sure Sinema and Manchin were in the pocket.

Spoofin

Reaction score
In a 50/50 Senate the Democrats would have gotten way more votes than the Republicans, that's what he means.

One vote in WY equals 20 votes in California or something close to that.
Its a incredibly dumb argument. The Senator of Wyoming is there to represent the people of Wyoming - WTF does it matter how people in CA voted? Hopefully you take a Civics class topo when you get to high school.

Wally

Reaction score
Its a incredibly dumb argument. The Senator of Wyoming is there to represent the people of Wyoming - WTF does it matter how people in CA voted? Hopefully you take a Civics class topo when you get to high school.

I guess facts are tough for you

They should be doing what's best for the country...

KGF

Reaction score

When one party has to win the overall vote by 6-8% to gain control of the House, it's not a small advantage. It's a massive one. Your side can get outvoted by millions of votes and still rule. You love it.

The actions of the GQP and state legislatures in AZ, WI and MI among others PROVE that they can't be trusted to honor the will of the voters. All sent met and sent fake electors claiming Trump won when he didn't. You don't care. And when that didn't work, some of them and thousands like them came to Washington, stormed the capital and tried to stop the certification by force.

If you want to argue that all states should have early/weekend voting, Amen. I agree. But this is about targeting certain voters and making it harder for them to vote than it has been. 1 drop box in all of Harris county Texas. One drop box for all of Milwaukee. Sunday voting that's been happening for decades is suddenly no longer OK. etc. etc. etc.

When you don't like facts, you scream CNN! Drink.

Much like the House, they can lose the popular vote by a lot and still have 50% of the Senate seats.
howie, those are such bullshit answers, full of accusations but devoid of facts, there is no point is responding. You are a hopeless political lefty hack.

KGF

Reaction score
Wally doesn’t like our constitutional republic. I don’t even think he’s know what it is.

Wally

Reaction score
Wally doesn’t like our constitutional republic. I don’t even think he’s know what it is.

It's a system that was designed to get over the hurdles the framers faced in forming the country and getting the states to agree. The country bears little resemblance to it's infancy.

Some guy

Reaction score
The more they do the worse off we are. Every move they make expands government which is three times to large.
I’d argue it’s largely because of a lack of an amendment process combined with needing 60 votes

they grease the wheels, nobody can individually vote down the grease

It currently is a system set up to bloat bills

Top Bottom