The Senate Filibuster

KGF

Reaction score
So now it’s not just Republicans that are racist. Dem Senator Joe Manchin is a racist b/c he won’t end the filibuster and allow HR1 to pass on 50 Democrat Senate plus VP Harris votes.

Disagree and you’re a RACIST!!!!

I guess Jemele forgot to slam Sen Kyrsten Sinema too.

Spoofin

Reaction score
So now it’s not just Republicans that are racist. Dem Senator Joe Manchin is a racist b/c he won’t end the filibuster and allow HR1 to pass on 50 Democrat Senate plus VP Harris votes.

Jemele Hill is a clown show.

scools12

Reaction score

Jemele Hill is a giant race baiting bigoted hypocrite even the leftist leaning ESPN didn’t want her around.

STPGopher

Reaction score
Maybe you missed the repubs/proud boys gathering outside officials houses on the sixth. And police treated like dirt? How many were killed? The right wing traitors killed one and injured at least one or two more.

Just the new normal for the party of our way or the whineway.
Law and Order! Law and Order!

As has been proven, it was never about that for the jingoists seditionists.

stocker08

Reaction score
Law and Order! Law and Order!

As has been proven, it was never about that for the jingoists seditionists.

Right. The seditionists who attacked the capitol are trash. So are the rioters across the country who have looted and damaged property over the past year.

STPGopher

Reaction score
Right. The seditionists who attacked the capitol are trash. So are the rioters across the country who have looted and damaged property over the past year.
I agree. It has and will be all about accountability. Doing the hard work to make meaningful and lasting change is what needs to be done. Burning down a building doesn't change anything.

stocker08

Reaction score
I agree. It has and will be all about accountability. Doing the hard work to make meaningful and lasting change is what needs to be done. Burning down a building doesn't change anything.

The people who have been looting and causing property damage don't give a damn about change. Those people are trashy opportunists that have done nothing but undermine the original message behind BLM.

STPGopher

Reaction score
The people who have been looting and causing property damage don't give a damn about change. Those people are trashy opportunists that have done nothing but undermine the original message behind BLM.
Agree. We will never know all of the hows and whys of the various factions of instigators. Still hopeful for meaningful change though. Just have to keep our eyes on the prize(s).

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score

"record number of blacks show up to save this democracy".... Wow. Almost as delusional as Michelle Obama saying she was embarrassed to be an American until her hubby was elected.

Reactions: KGF

KGF

Reaction score
When Trump wanted to kill the filibuster, the DemAOCrats had a very different feeling about it. Mitch McConnell and Republican Senators haven’t changed their position from when they were in power, and that is a hard NO. Apparently, Joe Biden has.

KGF

Reaction score
Go ahead asshole. The only bi-partisan opinion on this is against it. Manchin and Sinema won’t budge.

Some guy

Reaction score
I am in favor of NOT abolishing the actual filibuster but abolishing the procedural filibuster.
We should go back to a one track system with an amendment process on the floor.

If someone wants to filibuster they can debate as long as they want.
2/3 vote for cloture

essentially the pre-1970 rules

I have thought this for about 15 years.

GopherJake

Reaction score
I am in favor of NOT abolishing the actual filibuster but abolishing the procedural filibuster.
We should go back to a one track system with an amendment process on the floor.

If someone wants to filibuster they can debate as long as they want.
2/3 vote for cloture

essentially the pre-1970 rules

I have thought this for about 15 years.
As have I. I’ve posted that here several times. It’s not a “vote to halt debate” if the doors are locked and nobody is home. Debate is over.

Last edited:

Some guy

Reaction score
As have I. I’ve posted that here several times. It’s not a “vote to halt debate” if the doors are locked and nobody is home. Debate is over.
Our system has come to a grinding halt for the last 15 years because you need 60 votes to pass something. You should need 51 votes to pass something. 67 votes to halt debate.

I like a good old fashioned Mr Smith goes to Washington filibuster better than 41 people shutting down the whole system.

GopherJake

Reaction score
I like a good old fashioned Mr Smith goes to Washington filibuster better than 41 people shutting down the whole system.
Anonymously. So much for transparency.

Nice to meet you, PK.

howeda7

Reaction score
Our system has come to a grinding halt for the last 15 years because you need 60 votes to pass something. You should need 51 votes to pass something. 67 votes to halt debate.

It seems like this is the minimum they could do and Manchin said he was for it. Why haven't they done it?

KGF

Reaction score

Serious question: how old are you?

I like old movies, but it was a movie. Not reality.

The filibuster was created to limit reactionary, impulsive, poor legislation from being passed.

The House works on a simple majority. The Senate has to be much more deliberatIve.

Frequently, the best thing for the Senate to do regarding legislation is nothing. Bi-partisan support at least encourages deliberation and negotiation before passage. Ramming legislation through on a simply partisan basis is not the ideal, especially in these times of deep partisan divide and intense media influence.

If you want to destroy the country, there would be no easier way than to allow one political party to gain control, then make rules to assure their political control indefinitely. The filibuster is THE best deterrent to either party acting upon temporary majorities and executive branch control to gain complete control over the minority party and assure future political dominance, even if it is against the will of the people by stacking the deck in the controlling party’s favor.

Wally

Reaction score
If you want to destroy the country, there would be no easier way than to allow one political party to gain control, then make rules to assure their political control indefinitely.

Exactly what Republicans are trying to do, you really can't make it up...

KGF

Reaction score
Exactly what Republicans are trying to do, you really can't make it up...
howie liked that.

Now, explain how the minority party does that? And please, keep the US Constitution in mind when you answer…assuming you know anything about it.

Wally

Reaction score
howie liked that.

Now, explain how the minority party does that? And please, keep the US Constitution in mind when you answer…assuming you know anything about it.

By gerrymandering their state Congressional districts and putting up barriers to Democrats voting in general. If you don't think they are targeting their voter "intergrity" rules to do this you're dreaming.

Republicans already have a big built in advantage in the Senate and they use the above to gain it in the house.

John Galt

Reaction score
The filibuster is perfect. The whole intent of the federal government was that nothing was supposed to get done unless there was broad support. Makes it tough for the progress at all costs and 50.1% can do anything crowds.

Top Bottom