The Problem with Gopher Marketing

husker70

Reaction score
First the budget. No idea of the dollars expended. Next the personnel. Is this a an in house group with some marketing or advertising degree or at least studying the field? Is there an adviser, I though John Rash was on the faculty.
Next the home run approach. Each year around the State Fair the entire budget is blown. Its bill boards, some radio, and video. Sometimes the message is different on each platform. It appears disjointed, and certainly is ineffective.
To my mind, the University of Minnesota, its Athletic Department, The Carlson School, Law School, Engineering, Medical School , and Liberal Arts need to be on message. And the advertising should flow from there. If the common denominator is excellence Then excellence that performs. Performs in The State of Minnesota. Develop it however you want to, but make it applicable to every venture the U takes. Then budget the advertising to the market you want. Advertise on the platform your audience uses. Is it radio, social media, web driven, or is it bill boards? Is there a Gopher Sports Ap? And advertise year round. Sell the University and the teams direct the customer to the website. The current Goldy Gopher video, and the Bill Board barely does it.

Finally if this is truly in house, stop it. Get some professional help.

http://www.uwlax.edu/careerservices/downloads/MinneapolisStPaulTopAdvertisingAgencies.pdf

If it is budget driven. It would be better to do nothing then, as the old saying goes.

There is a Gopher Sports App that is available on the iPhone that I have downloaded. Now, it is 'available' but really is not the greatest. If you are just looking for basic gametimes, schedules or results, it is great. Anything beyong that though is not too desirable as far as usage of the app is concerned. Maybe it is because I still have the iPhone 4 and it is 3G. Who knows...

Has anyone heard more on wi-fi? I hard NT interviewed last week and he was talking about it as a need to get students to show up. Kind of complaining about it I thought which is too bad. The U should be out in front on this.

I'd like to see:
- order food & drink delivered to your seat
- stream game &/ replays on your phone
- coordinated cheers, waves, etc.
- scroll lyrics to songs
- real time stats & other scores
- alerts
- virtual section - chat with friends who don't sit with you
- Order Goldys locker room stuff delivered to your seat (ponchos when it raining, hats & shades when it's sunny?)
- contests to get the scoreboard or broadcast camera on you & your friends during breaks

That's off the top of my head. I can't imagine what a clever team of young people might come up with.

"The Problem with Gopher Marketing "

It's simple. They need to hire GopherHolers.

"The Problem with Gopher Marketing "

It's simple. They need to hire GopherHolers.

I'm telling you, help me get hired and I will open up a poll every time I need to make a big decision. I will represent you all. You provide me with the ideas, I'll make the money.

I'm telling you, help me get hired and I will open up a poll every time I need to make a big decision. I will represent you all. You provide me with the ideas, I'll make the money.

Remember - You get what you pay for but it is an interesting business model. Definitely would be low cost and high margin. Biggest problem would be managing all those experts.

Start with a huge billboard that says:

F()CK
IOWA

Everyone else has

Start with a huge billboard that says:

F()CK
IOWA

Everyone else has

Brilliant!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NBh895KdXAU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom