The Penn State game maybe the most important game in the several years......

Reaction score
I put it right up there with the dreaded Friday night Michigan game. The Penn State game tells us if we're the real deal. If we crap the bed against the Lions the Iowa game will lose a lot of appeal to the CASUAL FAN. ( notice selective readers I said: CASUAL!) The reason I'm targeting this game is the anticipation of many GOPHER fans who think this team is capable of winning the West with a possible 10 win season. Penn State gave Pitt all they could handle after not playing very well in their opener.This is a must win and you can not use the old "one game at a time" concept. I think Iowa is stronger than last year. They pretty much dismantled Iowa State. I have no doubt they will arrive at TCF with a 5-0 record after games with NDSU, Rutger's, ( away ) and a homecoming game against
Northwestern. A 4-0 Gopher team against a 5-0 Iowa team will make a lot of people take notice.
Penn State is indeed pivotal for me.

It is just hard to know how Penn State will show up. They could be broken, but with the talent and being at home they could be plenty strong enough to roll the Gophers.

Penn St has to travel to Michigan the week before us. You better believe they have that game on their radar way more than us.

The fact that we know how their O-line coach rolls, but we have a new OC & O-line coach, is going to be an advantage.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Penn St has to travel to Michigan the week before us. You better believe they have that game on their radar way more than us.

Except they'll come back from Michigan 2-2 after a beat down, and need a W to right the ship. They'll be focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penn St can't stop the run. We are built to stop the spread. They have games against Temple who they lost to last season and Michigan. I think they will be a little beat up for our game. I think we have a good chance against them.

Except they'll come back from Michigan 2-2 after a beat down, and need a W to right the ship. They'll be focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or feeling like things are lost in the east and will roll over because they know their coach is toast. you never know with college

I put it right up there with the dreaded Friday night Michigan game. The Penn State game tells us if we're the real deal. If we crap the bed against the Lions the Iowa game will lose a lot of appeal to the CASUAL FAN. ( notice selective readers I said: CASUAL!) The reason I'm targeting this game is the anticipation of many GOPHER fans who think this team is capable of winning the West with a possible 10 win season. Penn State gave Pitt all they could handle after not playing very well in their opener.This is a must win and you can not use the old "one game at a time" concept. I think Iowa is stronger than last year. They pretty much dismantled Iowa State. I have no doubt they will arrive at TCF with a 5-0 record after games with NDSU, Rutger's, ( away ) and a homecoming game against
Northwestern. A 4-0 Gopher team against a 5-0 Iowa team will make a lot of people take notice.
Penn State is indeed pivotal for me.
That post makes PITT sound like a great team, there not and they controlled that game except for a late push from Penn State. I do agree this is a must win if we want to be taken seriously about winning the West, a key advantage I believe Penn State has to play Michigan right before us. Coach Kaki's loves to run downhill and stomp on the opponent's throat, while we get a final tune up with the mediocre Rams of Colorado State. We should have the healthier team which will be an advantage. I think this game is important because we are a better football team, and if we want to go where we want to go than this is the type of game we have to take care of. Iowa game will always have appeal because it's ****in Iowa

So the Penn St game is bigger than Wisconsin? Or Iowa? Or Michigan?

I think I understand what you're trying to say, which is that the and build-up for the Iowa game will be huge (possibly similar to Michigan) if we beat Penn St. I agree with that to a point. But every Gopher fan would take a win vs Iowa over Penn St. this year if given the choice. So it's not really the biggest game in several years. Or even this year. Just the biggest through the 1st 4 games of the season.

Penn St can't stop the run. We are built to stop the spread. They have games against Temple who they lost to last season and Michigan. I think they will be a little beat up for our game. I think we have a good chance against them.

My biggest hope is they continue to have run issues and we can run all over the place.

The question is that when they sell out to stop the run can Mitch make enough plays to keep them honest or outright seal the deal....

Our biggest game of the year is against Colorado State because it's the next game! Can we please just play one game at a time? Go Gophers!

The Iowa game will sell out if we beat Penn State. The irony of it is, it may also sell out because of the Iowa fans scooping up the unsold tickets if we lose to Penn State. 15,000 Iowa fans is a unhealthy situation at TCF if you're a Gopher fan. Cue up the Metrodome

The schedule did not do the Gophers any favors.
For a team touted by its coach as the best ever of the Kill era it would have been to their advantage to have been tested before conference play.
An away game before a large packed stadium and matching up against BIG quality players and coaches for the first time may be quite a shock for the Gophers.

For a team touted by its coach as the best ever of the Kill era it would have been to their advantage to have been tested before conference play.
An away game before a large packed stadium and matching up against BIG quality players and coaches for the first time may be quite a shock for the Gophers.

Does it matter if you play a "test" team before conference play, or not?

The Iowa game will sell out if we beat Penn State. The irony of it is, it may also sell out because of the Iowa fans scooping up the unsold tickets if we lose to Penn State. 15,000 Iowa fans is a unhealthy situation at TCF if you're a Gopher fan. Cue up the Metrodome

Give me a "T", give me an "R" give me an "O", give me an "L" give me another "L".....

Playing a nonconference road game in a year where we play 5 conference road games is never going to happen. They are always going to want 7 home games, not 6.

Playing a nonconference road game in a year where we play 5 conference road games is never going to happen. They are always going to want 7 home games, not 6.

And really.... we want to stock up on the Ws while we can.

I don't think we get better if we play someone difficult OOC. I'm glad the fcs games are going away but I don't see any benefit to a difficult OOC for the gophers.

And really.... we want to stock up on the Ws while we can.

I don't think we get better if we play someone difficult OOC. I'm glad the fcs games are going away but I don't see any benefit to a difficult OOC for the gophers.

It's also impossible to predict how good or bad another program will be several years ahead of time. The Oregon St. games have been scheduled for some time.

We currently have Colorado scheduled for 2021 and 2022. Who knows what kind of program they will have then.

It's also impossible to predict how good or bad another program will be several years ahead of time. The Oregon St. games have been scheduled for some time.

We currently have Colorado scheduled for 2021 and 2022. Who knows what kind of program they will have then.

Totally.

Colorado could spike up and be great and then hit a stinky cycle in that time.

The only sure deals are the blue blood programs and I don't want to schedule them as mostly they only take neutral site games ... not likely to come here.

Be honest. Why are you here? Your troll game is weak, and it doesn't even seem like your heart is in it any more.

@Wisconsin in 2014 was much more important.

The Penn State game will be a big one but it's not even against a West opponent, and if we lose but go on to beat Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin we likely still win the West.

Based on other already stated game times that day, it looks like we are looking at a 11am start. Agree?

Based on other already stated game times that day, it looks like we are looking at a 11am start. Agree?

Link?

Edit: Just looked at the schedule and I think you're right. 11 AM looks very likely.

c72e8c674b2655064fc077e4d911f943.jpg

I'd be happy with a 5-1 record after the Iowa game, with most of the team's reasonable goals for the season still intact. 5-1 coming out of the Iowa game would have them in a pretty decent spot.

Top Bottom