The new Corona virus, should we worry?

stocker08

Reaction score
It's all about money for the NFL. The more players that get vaccinated the less risk of them missing games. They don't want Mahomes and the like having to miss two weeks.

Bingo. Even a few of the non-vaxxed players on a team catching covid causes a major issue. The NFL is BIG money....and that creates a problem for the league as a whole. I agree that the many of the requirements are mostly bogus.....but those unnecessary requirements should get more players to simply go in and get vaccinated.

Don't like it? Quit and go get another job that will pay you millions of dollars a year to play a game.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Most of the “long Covid” is probably psychosomatic.
You want this to be true as badly as you want Sars2 to have been genetically engineered in WIV under NIH funding.

I’m afraid to ask what you’d be willing to do in order to make this be true, you’re so invested in it.

Nevermind what the actual truth is.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
You want this to be true as badly as you want Sars2 to have been genetically engineered in WIV under NIH funding.

I’m afraid to ask what you’d be willing to do in order to make this be true, you’re so invested in it.

Nevermind what the actual truth is.

I don’t “want” psychosomaticism to be true. Until better evidence comes forward that is the best explanation that fits the available evidence. It’s not outside the realm of possibility there are unknown immunological or neurological mechanisms that cause unusual symptoms but when the person has never been infected to begin with - it strains credulity, no?

How was your trip to Beijing? No internet over there?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
There’s debate about what causes ME/CFS. The dominant view among researchers is that it’s a genetic disease triggered by an immunological stressor, like a viral infection.

Researchers who’ve investigated psychiatric and psychosomatic triggers for chronic conditions like ME/CFS, for example, haven’t found a consistent link. “So maybe that really would not be the first direction you would go in with long Covid. ... These are biological diseases driven by biological causes and they really don’t seem to be diseases of the psyche.”

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It is an amusing dichotomy that libertarians like PE engage in, for the sole purpose of trying to bash government at both ends.

Both accusing it of inventing a deadly pandemic with govt funding for illegal research, at one end, while trying to dismiss the severity of the virus at the other end in order to nullify any and all govt response to the virus.

When you're a libertarian, you can indeed have your cake and eat it too -- so long as the cake maker was allowed to cheat customers on price and advertising in whatever manner it pleased.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Back to the point.

The symptoms are a biological condition -- and even if "just" triggered by covid (as opposed to some residual bits of virus still running amok inside the body, unable to be fought off by the natural immune system) .... so what? That's exactly the same thing as being caused by covid. They wouldn't have had them if they hadn't been infected. Direct causation.

No valid way to argue otherwise.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
There’s debate about what causes ME/CFS. The dominant view among researchers is that it’s a genetic disease triggered by an immunological stressor, like a viral infection.

Researchers who’ve investigated psychiatric and psychosomatic triggers for chronic conditions like ME/CFS, for example, haven’t found a consistent link. “So maybe that really would not be the first direction you would go in with long Covid. ... These are biological diseases driven by biological causes and they really don’t seem to be diseases of the psyche.”

Good grief. Demographics? Psychological correlations?

Where is the biological evidence?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
It is an amusing dichotomy that libertarians like PE engage in, for the sole purpose of trying to bash government at both ends.

Both accusing it of inventing a deadly pandemic with govt funding for illegal research, at one end, while trying to dismiss the severity of the virus at the other end in order to nullify any and all govt response to the virus.

When you're a libertarian, you can indeed have your cake and eat it too -- so long as the cake maker was allowed to cheat customers on price and advertising in whatever manner it pleased.

Whats amusing is you trying to label people into tribes. Dislike of
government overreach, corruption, incompetence, and power-seeking behavior is not a libertarian viewpoint. Nor is it libertarian to expect scientists to use common sense, or public health to be honest or competent.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they?
You think a multi billion dollar entity wants to deal with their commodities getting covid?
Are you for real???

Players are nothing but dollar signs, they are not people, same as most everyone else in this country.

I think the Wilfs pay to much taxes.....
🤑🤑🤑🤑
I'm shocked the guy who is begging for better men to pay more taxes has no idea what a commodity is.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Back to the point.

The symptoms are a biological condition -- and even if "just" triggered by covid (as opposed to some residual bits of virus still running amok inside the body, unable to be fought off by the natural immune system) .... so what? That's exactly the same thing as being caused by covid. They wouldn't have had them if they hadn't been infected. Direct causation.

I’ll suggest you read more unbiased opinions on long
covid and similar syndromes and disorders without lab, imaging, diagnostic, or pathological findings. There is much discussion and perspective out there. Like the lack of discussion and inaction on obesity by public health during the pandemic, this has become a taboo subject and is a delicate subject with high emotions.

You need to have some evidence before fear mongering. Stoking irrational fear and anxiety is incredibly irresponsible.

CurveballJesus

Reaction score
Back to the point.

350 pounder who hasn't been to the doctor in 10 years gets Covid. After blood work is done... "What the hell? Covid gave me high cholesterol!"

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
(Numbers - not opinions......)

MN Covid-19 Update - Friday, June 18

Data reported by 4:00am the previous day.

Positive Cases 560,430 +95. Including probable cases 604,291.

Positive test rate 0.9%.

Health-Care workers with positive cases 42,846 +7.

Cases no longer needing isolation 595,583 +84.

Active cases 1,177 +19.

Deaths 7,114 +4. Including probable deaths 7,531.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 4,216 +1. Including probable cases 4,460.

Patients currently Hospitalized 132 -20. Cumulative 32,500 +17.

Patients currently In ICU 41 -3. Cumulative 6,596 +5.

Total PCR tests processed 9,323,067 +10,982. Including antigen testing 10,184,576.

Number of people tested 4,370,158 +5,715.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Good grief. Demographics? Psychological correlations?

Where is the biological evidence?
You're in zero position, and have zero credibility, to question or critique a single person offhand.

Provide a link or a quote from an actual expert, or gtfo.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
350 pounder who hasn't been to the doctor in 10 years gets Covid. After blood work is done... "What the hell? Covid gave me high cholesterol!"
Did he have high cholesterol before he was infected with covid????

Nice try.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I’ll suggest you read more unbiased opinions on long
covid and similar syndromes and disorders without lab, imaging, diagnostic, or pathological findings.
"Tells me what I want to hear" = "unbiased". 😂

You need to have some evidence before fear mongering.
Recognizing long covid as biological and caused by covid is just science, not fear mongering. 🙄

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
(Numbers - not opinions......)

MN Covid-19 Update - Friday, June 18

Data reported by 4:00am the previous day.

Positive Cases 560,430 +95. Including probable cases 604,291.

Positive test rate 0.9%.

Health-Care workers with positive cases 42,846 +7.

Cases no longer needing isolation 595,583 +84.

Active cases 1,177 +19.

Deaths 7,114 +4. Including probable deaths 7,531.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 4,216 +1. Including probable cases 4,460.

Patients currently Hospitalized 132 -20. Cumulative 32,500 +17.

Patients currently In ICU 41 -3. Cumulative 6,596 +5.

Total PCR tests processed 9,323,067 +10,982. Including antigen testing 10,184,576.

Number of people tested 4,370,158 +5,715.

I vehemently disagree with this

"Tells me what I want to hear" = "unbiased". 😂

Recognizing long covid as biological and caused by covid is just science, not fear mongering. 🙄

Your brain fog will eventually clear. I suggest eye of newt compounded with lavender oil.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ariant-fuels-steep-infection-rise-2021-06-18/

The rapid spread of the extremely contagious Delta coronavirus variant, first identified in India, has driven a 50% rise in COVID-19 cases in England since May, researchers at Imperial College London said on Wednesday in their latest report from the REACT-1 prevalence survey. COVID-19 prevalence "is increasing exponentially, driven by younger ages ... and it appears to be doubling every 11 days. Clearly, that is bad news," Steven Riley, lead author of the report, told reporters. At the beginning of May, according to the researchers’ estimates, around 60% of positive COVID-19 swab tests were due to the Delta variant. By June 7, that had climbed to around 90%. Although the Delta variant has been shown to substantially reduce the effectiveness of one dose of vaccine against mild infection, two doses still provide good protection against severe disease, according to early evidence.

I feel somewhat bad for all those remaining who've chosen not to get vaccinated. This Delta variant is coming for them.

Best thing you can do is get an mRNA vaccine, as soon as possible. Zero risk, zero cost. The mRNA just goes away after a short period of time, and does not alter DNA.

Meanwhile, mRNA vaccines should and will win a Nobel Prize.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Glad to see that you agree that people are suffering (debilitating) symptoms after being infected, that they did not have before infection.
You clearly didn’t even read the news story, much less the FAIR paper or even the study synopsis which is searchable via Google. Acceptance of headlines without skepticism of underlying facts labels you as a progressive. For you, perhaps no cure.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I know you're a smart guy, and appear to be a native English speaker. So it shouldn't be hard for you.

You can't "fake" having been infected by Sars2. If you were infected and recovered, you have some antibodies. That can be tested for.

Long covid by definition only refers to people who've been infected, recovered, and then developed symptoms later on that they never had before being infected.

That's what it is, by definition. You can try to pretend differently all you want, but that is false and irrelevant.

So the truthful and honest version of your analogy would be someone who did not have high cholesterol a couple months ago, then had covid and recovered, and suddenly they now have high cholesterol.

Of course, they hasn't happened and isn't going to. So of course it was a false analogy that you made up to be a dingleberry.

But hopefully now that I've put you in your place, you'll pipe down.

CurveballJesus

Reaction score
I know you're a smart guy, and appear to be a native English speaker. So it shouldn't be hard for you.

You can't "fake" having been infected by Sars2. If you were infected and recovered, you have some antibodies. That can be tested for.

Long covid by definition only refers to people who've been infected, recovered, and then developed symptoms later on that they never had before being infected.

That's what it is, by definition. You can try to pretend differently all you want, but that is false and irrelevant.

So the truthful and honest version of your analogy would be someone who did not have high cholesterol a couple months ago, then had covid and recovered, and suddenly they now have high cholesterol.

Of course, they hasn't happened and isn't going to. So of course it was a false analogy that you made up to be a dingleberry.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score

Up to half of people that claim to have long Covid (in some studies) don’t have diagnostic or serological evidence of infection.

Top Bottom