The new Corona virus, should we worry?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
MDH numbers:

Cases have definitely flattened out at a positive number, somewhere in the Sept-ish timeframe rate.

Deaths of course lag a couple weeks, but are looking to follow that trend too.

QNFe0yW.png

5deathgraph.png

Still a lot of "food" left for this virus to feast on, until we get more vaccinated immunity.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Beds in use update
Sat - ICU 55 -5. Other 193 -10. total 248 -15.
Sun - ICU 51 -4. Other 179 -14. total 230 -18.
Mon - ICU 47 -4. Other 183 +4. total 230 No Change.

MN covid-19 Update - Mon, Mar 1

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 461,527+522. Including probable cases 485,230.

Positive test rate 2.9%

Health-Care workers with positive cases 37,811 +43.

Cases no longer needing isolation 471,647 +828.

Active Cases 7,097 -195.

Deaths 6,215 +3. Including probable deaths 6,486.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,934 +1. Including probable cases 4,057.

Patients currently Hospitalized 230 (no change). Cumulative 25,727 +8.

Patients currently In ICU 47 -4. Cumulative 5,308 +2.

Total tests processed 6,934,737 +18,208.

Number of people tested 3,476,724 +7,018.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Biden admin brokers a deal to have rival Merck also mfg the newly (emergency) approved J&J vaccine.

Country over all else, in a time of crisis.

Could not have happened under the last regime.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
MN Covid-19 Update - Tuesday, March 2

Positive Cases 461,858 +346. Including probable cases 485,655.

Positive test rate 3.6%.

Health-Care workers with positive cases 37,840 +29.

Cases no longer needing isolation 472,470 +825.

Active Cases 6,695 -402.

Deaths 6,219 +4. Including probable deaths 6,490.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,935+1. Including probable cases 4,057.

Patients currently Hospitalized 243 +13. Cumulative 25,826 +99.

Patients currently In ICU 57 +10. Cumulative 5,329 +21.

Total tests processed 6,943,992 +9,507.

Number of people tested 3,478,891 +2,167.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Get your damn vaccines as soon as you are able. We will soon have more vaccines available than people getting them that day. No excuses, go get one.
Once this starts happening .... which who knows, maybe later this month if demand remains soft .... then they need to trash these silly little timelines about "OK now group 1c ... OK now group 1d ... OK now group 2a ....".

That's like the airline gate attendant saying "OK group 2, and our gold card members may now board" when there's no one at the gate. Just get to the damn part of "now boarding all groups".

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Once this starts happening .... which who knows, maybe later this month if demand remains soft .... then they need to trash these silly little timelines about "OK now group 1c ... OK now group 1d ... OK now group 2a ....".

That's like the airline gate attendant saying "OK group 2, and our gold card members may now board" when there's no one at the gate. Just get to the damn part of "now boarding all groups".
Speed is becoming more and more important. Unfortunately in a couple months we'll be down to the science deniers that are too stupid and/or selfish to get a vaccine that will continue to allow this virus to mutate.

Triple D

Reaction score
Get your damn vaccines as soon as you are able. We will soon have more vaccines available than people getting them that day. No excuses, go get one.
I finally got proactive and called HealthPartners on behalf of my Uncle that I'm a caregiver for.....2 weeks after it was widely published that 65 years old were eligible for the vaccine and the HP site said this when I logged on. Even though he's 73 and well over 65 and has both COPD and Diabetes, it took a phone call from me to get him in, this was after also already registering for the State Covid Vaccine Website which I still have not gotten a response from.............so be proactive everyone, don't rely on Walz's management and the MDH and medical providers to be calling you because the system is broken.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
mtXYQTT.png

Variants, variants, variants everywhere.

Seems like the perfect time to drop restrictions. Dumbf__ks

justthefacts

Reaction score
I finally got proactive and called HealthPartners on behalf of my Uncle that I'm a caregiver for.....2 weeks after it was widely published that 65 years old were eligible for the vaccine and the HP site said this when I logged on. Even though he's 73 and well over 65 and has both COPD and Diabetes, it took a phone call from me to get him in, this was after also already registering for the State Covid Vaccine Website which I still have not gotten a response from.............so be proactive everyone, don't rely on Walz's management and the MDH and medical providers to be calling you because the system is broken.

Look at this broken system

COJUniV.png

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
The "Beds-in-use" site has not been updated as of 5:00pm. Bleep it. Not waiting any longer.
have to get to the grocery store, get home and eat in time for Gopher basketball, as the Pitino Death Watch continues.

MN Covid-19 Update - Weds, March 3

Positive cases 462,491 +638. Including probable cases 486,434.

Positive test rate 3.6%.

Health-Care workers with positive cases 37,873 +33.

Cases no longer needing isolation 473,252 +782.

Active Cases 6,675 -20.

Deaths 6,235 +16. Including probable deaths 6,507.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,941 +6. Including probable cases 4,064.

Total patients hospitalized-cumulative 25,863 +37.

Total patients in ICU-cumulative 5,340 +11.

Total tests processed 6,960,999 +17,505.

Number of people tested 3,484,045 +5,154.

scools12

Reaction score

Awesome. But remember to wear your mask.
Nothing to see here. So what if migrants who have tested positive for COVID hop on a bus and travel about the country. What we need to be OUTRAGED about is two Republican Governors dropped the restrictions in their states.

Last edited:

Donovan

Reaction score
These studies are not surprising to many of us on here. Glad I got my supply of Ivermectin last month.

Slovakia Becomes the First EU Nation to Formally Approve Ivermectin for Both Prophylaxis and Treatment for COVID-19 Patients

Sheba researcher: Antiparasitic drug reduces length of COVID-19 infection
According to his yet to be published data, Schwartz said that the drug was shown to help “cure” people of the virus within just six days.

Last edited:

BarnBurner

Banned
Reaction score
Why is there no outrage regarding the people crossing the border full of COVID being let loose? No quarantine? No outrage from the VID crowd.

And, Joe and the GT allow COVID to be spread. Yet the lefties here are only concerned about the governors allowing no masks.......

justthefacts

Reaction score
What does that have to do with vulnerable Senior citizens not getting notified that there are vaccines avail? Actually makes it worse

Here's what people don't get: vaccine distribution schemes aren't designed to make sure that every single person receives the vaccine in the exact right order. Nobody sat down and said, "How do we get Triple D's dad vaccinated at the exact right time relative to other Minnesotans."

The structures are designed to get vaccines into arms as quickly as possible, while broadly prioritizing big swaths of the population. You're extrapolating from your one example to make a point, but overall the MN plan is working.

Furthermore, you act as though a person having proactively reached out to get the vaccine is some sort of policy failure. Did your dad get vaccinated before he died? Policy success.

SON's post yesterday tells us that 6 people died who lived in assisted living. His post on Jan 3, two months ago, had it at 31. Down 81%. I don't *think* we can get historical MN hospitalization or death data by day by age, so this is the best we've got.

The plan is working.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Many Americans are worried that Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine is an inferior product that may not be worth getting. Gov. Doug Burgum of North Dakota recently told The Washington Post that he was now seeing not only “vaccine hesitancy” but also “the potential for brand hesitancy.”

The perception stems from the headline rates of effectiveness of the three vaccines: 72 percent for Johnson & Johnson, compared with 94 percent for Moderna and 95 percent for Pfizer. But those headline rates can be misleading in a few ways.

The most important measure — whether the vaccine prevents serious illness — shows the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to be equally effective as the other two. All work for nearly 100 percent of people. The picture is murkier for mild cases, but they are not particularly worrisome.

The headline effectiveness numbers — like 72 percent — describe a vaccine’s ability to prevent all infections from this coronavirus, known as SARS-Cov-2. But preventing all infections is less important than it may sound. The world is not going to eliminate SARS-Cov-2 anytime soon. Coronaviruses circulate all the time, causing the common cold and other manageable illnesses.

The trouble with this virus is its lethality. It has killed 15 times as many Americans as an average flu season. Turning Covid into something more like a mild flu or common cold means victory over the pandemic.

All three vaccines being used in the U.S. are accomplishing that goal. In the research trials, none of the people who received a vaccine died of Covid. And after the vaccines had taken full effect, none were hospitalized, either.

But why doesn’t Johnson & Johnson appear to be as good at preventing mild illness?

There are a few possible answers. For one, Johnson & Johnson’s research trials seem to have had a greater degree of difficulty. They occurred later than Moderna’s or Pfizer’s — after one of the virus variants had spread more widely. The variant appears to cause a greater number of mild Covid cases among vaccinated people than the original virus.

Second, Johnson & Johnson is currently only one shot, while Moderna and Pfizer are two shots. That happened mostly because of how strong the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is. Initial testing showed it to deliver impressive levels of immunity after only one shot, while the others required a booster, as Dr. Robert Wachter, chair of the department of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, explained to me.

The truth is that all of the vaccines seem to provide significant protection after a single shot. (Look at Britain, which is not rushing to give second shots and where cases and deaths continue to plummet.) Similarly, all three vaccines may benefit from a second shot.

I recognize that may make some people anxious about getting the single Johnson & Johnson shot, but it shouldn’t. If further data suggest that a second Johnson & Johnson shot would help, regulators can change their recommendation. Regardless, follow-up Covid shots may be normal in the future.

What’s the bottom line? A single Johnson & Johnson shot may indeed allow a somewhat larger number of mild Covid cases than two shots of Moderna or Pfizer. It’s hard to be sure. And it isn’t very important.

“The number that we should all truly care about is what are the chances I’m going to get this thing and get really sick or die,” Wachter said. After any of the three vaccines, he added, “There’s essentially no chance you will die of Covid, which is breathtaking.”

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Common misconception: J&J 72% effective means I have a 28% chance of getting infected.

Not correct!!

This is what it means:
- say 1000 people got placebo, and 172 of them got infected
- say 1000 people got J&J vax, and 28 of them got infected
- total people 2000, total that got infected 200
- 86% of the people who got infected had the placebo, while 14% of the people who got infected had the vax
- therefore, the vaccine is 72% more effective than placebo.

It's something like that, anyway. Might not be exactly right, but it's closer to that than "I have a 28% chance of getting infected".

No. The actual chance in the trial was 28 out of 1000 = 2.8% chance.

Last edited:

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Beds in Use site still not updated. too busy counting number of bricks thrown up by Gopher Men's BB team.

MN Covid-19 Update - Thurs, March 4

Positive cases 463,301 +949. Including probable cases 487,374.

Positive test rate 1.5%.

Health-Care workers with positive cases 37,919 +46.

Cases no longer needing isolation 473,728 +476.

Active Cases 7,125 +450.

Deaths 6,248 +13. Including probable deaths 6,521.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,947 +6. Including probable cases 4,070.

Total patients hospitalized-cumulative 25,896 +33.

Total patients in ICU-cumulative 5,344 +4.

Total tests processed 7,023,826 +63,016.

Number of people tested 3,499,299 +15,254.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Can't this be a federal crime, somehow? Charge DeSantis with fraud.
So if teachers that are part of the teachers union get shots and the teachers union donates money to the Democratic Party is that the same thing? At least these people who got the vaccine were over the age of 65, the target group for the first rollout.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Nothing to see here. So what if migrants who have tested positive for COVID hop on a bus and travel about the country. What we need to be OUTRAGED about is two Republican Governors dropped the restrictions in their states.
Just remember this is the same country that allowed Cuomo to impose fines for people not quartering when they traveled to New York in may.

Top Bottom