The more I read about the 4-team playoff scenarios

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
The more I think the "3 and 1" model sounds like the best one. This column maps it out pretty well. Take the 3 highest-rated conference champions (with the requirement that they must be in the top 6) along with the highest-rated at-large team. Seems like it'd be a good compromise between the SEC/Big 12 vs. B1G/Pac 12 factions, and it ensures that the best/easiest path to a "Final 4" spot is winning your conference title, as it should be.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...nd-one-playoff-model/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a0

No system is perfect, but I think 3+1 would be a pretty reasonable thing. It'd be even better if they could have a tournament where all the conference champs and one or two at large teams played, but I can't imagine the powers that be adding that many rounds.

I do like three of the four going to conference champs. As much as I wasn't interested in the LSU/Alabama rematch last year, it was hard for me to argue they were the best two teams, and this system allows that but still keeps other conferences in the mix. I really think if Alabama and LSU had both beaten teams from other conferences to advance to the National Championship or played each other in the semifinals far fewer people would have complained.

The part I don't understand is when are they proposing to start the 4-team playoff? Would the plan be to keep the regular bowl season in place, minus these 4 teams, and then start the play-off the following week? If so, I could live with this as long as they keep it to 4 teams.

This proposed approach is O.K. but still not ideal. I believe the "power" conferences (i.e., B1G, PAC-12, SEC, Big-12, ACC, and Big East) should get an automatic tie-in to the championship playoff system. It is much better than taking the "highest" rated teams (i.e., those that load up on non-conference pansies and/or play in weak conferences). That said, I believe an 8-team playoff would be best. Give the B1G, PAC-12, SEC, Big-12, ACC, and Big East conference champs an automatic berth. The remaining two teams would be selected at-large and could come from the "power" conferences, other "weaker" conferences, or independents. This would make the non-conference schedule almost meaningless as it should be and reward teams for playing with the big boys week in and week out (i.e., B1G, PAC-12, SEC, Big-12, ACC, and Big East).

Go Gophers!

I am so not in favor of the plus one format. Pfftt... I have to agree if they go with best four schools and none of them was able to win their conference championship I have a problem with that. What is the point of winning the conference?

Top Bottom