The message: We're just not happy competing with Iowa,Wisconsin, and the West........

Reaction score
we want to be right there with Ohio State and Michigan. This is the message I hear. Now is it false bravado with all that has happened? Time will tell. He certainly set a vision for excellence. How many other AD's in the B1G would dump a coach who went 9-4 with a quality bowl win no matter what the circumstances were? Really guys, when you think about it, Coyle never did give Claeys a warm , fuzzy, feeling even before the suspensions. And now, after thinking about it overnight, I'm not even sure he would've extended Claeys over and above a token offer that Claeys might have refused and that might have been the other out
Coyle wanted. The suspension and subsequent tweet gave him an easy out.Was it back asswards, and handled poorly? Absolutely. So now I'm going to see what transpires before being judge, jury, and hangman.

Unless he has something special up his sleeve (man I really hope so).... he might regret saying some of those things.

Unfortunately we don't compete with Wisconsin. Otherwise I'd agree.

When I contacted Coyle via email after Wisconsin game, this is the road I went down. I stated that I feel he has the opportunity to hire the only dynamic coach in the West Division. Not one team has a dynamic coach. He now is taking that step and we will see what we get.

When I contacted Coyle via email after Wisconsin game, this is the road I went down. I stated that I feel he has the opportunity to hire the only dynamic coach in the West Division. Not one team has a dynamic coach. He now is taking that step and we will see what we get.

You don't find Paul Chryst dynamic!?!?!?!? ;)

we want to be right there with Ohio State and Michigan. This is the message I hear. Now is it false bravado with all that has happened? Time will tell. He certainly set a vision for excellence. How many other AD's in the B1G would dump a coach who went 9-4 with a quality bowl win no matter what the circumstances were? Really guys, when you think about it, Coyle never did give Claeys a warm , fuzzy, feeling even before the suspensions. And now, after thinking about it overnight, I'm not even sure he would've extended Claeys over and above a token offer that Claeys might have refused and that might have been the other out
Coyle wanted. The suspension and subsequent tweet gave him an easy out.Was it back asswards, and handled poorly? Absolutely. So now I'm going to see what transpires before being judge, jury, and hangman.

What did you expect him to say...he just canned a first year HC coach who won 9 games and had a top 20 defense. Think we heard this song and dance before...next he'll talk about the challenge of "rebuilding" the program, and ask for patience from gopher fans, when he announces the next HC.

Well, we should know if you're right in a couple of weeks. We'll see how much we pay for our next coach.

Bo Pelini. Done.

We're not even remotely competing with Wisconsin are you drunk?

Maybe Coyle should have fired Claeys after Wisconsin and started his search in earnest then.

The timing of this is the freaking issue for me (beyond that fact that I liked Claeys alot).

We are going to lose two recruiting classes no matter who he hires (last years with 10+ leaving) and this years which was ****ty before he fired Claeys.

Man up, fire Claeys on Dec 1 and act like a real AD.

This is why I don't believe a single work Coyle said and think he is a total fraud and coward. If all the things he said in that presser where honest this decision would have boldly been made a month ago.

I think they actually have to beat those teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, or Nebraska first before supposedly setting their sights higher. The more likely form of "not competing with Iowa or Wisconsin" will come in the next few years while things rebuild under a new regime.

I'd love to compete with wisconsin.

What did you expect him to say...he just canned a first year HC coach who won 9 games and had a top 20 defense. Think we heard this song and dance before...next he'll talk about the challenge of "rebuilding" the program, and ask for patience from gopher fans, when he announces the next HC.

Yep and we'll waste more money buying the next coach out too when it doesnt happen. At least Claeys wanted to be here and work hard to improve each year.

I'd love to compete with wisconsin.
The west goes through Madison and that's who we should be focusing on. If I am the AD and I had a subordinate publicly contradict me who was NOT my hire I would can him too. Coyle is going to be judged mostly by the on and off field results of the football program. If I am going to be judged like that than I want it to be a guy I hired not the interim that was left to me.

Bo didn't get along with his administration at Nebraska. ... Coyle doesn't seem to have much tolerance for "unhelpful" stuff.

I think Bo could easily outlast both Coyle and Kaler...clock is ticking on both.

I think Bo could easily outlast both Coyle and Kaler...clock is ticking on both.

I'm really not sure, that's up to the politicians and regents I belive.

I don't know what they're thinking anymore than Coyle.

I think they actually have to beat those teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, or Nebraska first before supposedly setting their sights higher. The more likely form of "not competing with Iowa or Wisconsin" will come in the next few years while things rebuild under a new regime.

We've beat Iowa and Nebraska and have been competitive with both in our losses. Now Bucky...not so much.

You don't find Paul Chryst dynamic!?!?!?!? ;)

Maybe not dynamic, but he hasn't dropped the ball. Whisky is still truckin. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Dynamic often translates into trouble. Give me honest, hardworking and a guy kids love. I don't care if he fills the stadium as long as he knows how to fill the win column.

I'm really not sure, that's up to the politicians and regents I belive.

I don't know what they're thinking anymore than Coyle.

That's my point. I think the BoR members met with Coyle and Kaler to basically "snap the line" with them. Happens all the time in business. The Chair is a seasoned, crafty politician. In the near future, I can see him and some other members making more quotes like he did about the suspensions and lack of due process...where he said he'd talked to Kaler many times about his concern that it is not a far process. He wasn't just popping off, that quote had intent.

Maybe not dynamic, but he hasn't dropped the ball. Whisky is still truckin. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Dynamic often translates into trouble. Give me honest, hardworking and a guy kids love. I don't care if he fills the stadium as long as he knows how to fill the win column.

I was making a silly about how Chryst is like the most boring man on the planet. His interviews are a running joke with Wisc fans... granted, a positive running joke.

I wouldn't mind his performance though, but dynamic he is sure not on the outside.

I was making a silly about how Chryst is like the most boring man on the planet. His interviews are a running joke with Wisc fans... granted, a positive running joke.

I wouldn't mind his performance though, but dynamic he is sure not on the outside.

I here ya. He's pretty boring. However, did you hear his halftime interview in the bowl game? He talked for like 5 minutes, gave detailed information to the reporter, and showed no urgency to get to the locker room like most coaches do. He was very sincere and respectful to the reporter. It was really refreshing and different. I'd bet he's a great guy.

Short memory, Nebraska Axed Bo Pelini who hit 9 wins regularly

I here ya. He's pretty boring. However, did you hear his halftime interview in the bowl game? He talked for like 5 minutes, gave detailed information to the reporter, and showed no urgency to get to the locker room like most coaches do. He was very sincere and respectful to the reporter. It was really refreshing and different. I'd bet he's a great guy.

The state and players love him. I'm really not sure what dynamic gets you. You can recruit a little bit with it but, face it, schools rarely make a significant a durable change in their recruiting fortunes and if they do it is always tied to success on the field. You can't charm your way to football success. A winning program is the best recruiting tool and fan attraction there is.

Top Bottom