The meltdown in Madison!

Would anyone be suprised if Barry decides to name himself AD/Head Football coach and perform double duties for 1-2 years?

Would anyone be suprised if Barry decides to name himself AD/Head Football coach and perform double duties for 1-2 years?

Would seem unlikely huh? But after seeing what he's getting for the Rose Bowl maybe $250,000 a game COULD bring him back?

The problem to me that Wisconsin has in this hire is Urban Meyer, they have had some luck the last few years, that isn't likely to occur in the near future, to equal the previous success they are going to have to beat him and that is not going to be easy no matter who they get. I think this will impact candidates actually being interested in the job and who they finally get.

jovs,

not exactly sure what you mean by this post, but bielema was 1-5 during his Badger tenure vs. Ohio State.

Does Bielema's 1-5 Badger record vs. Ohio State constitute having "some luck"??

I would be stunned. I can't imagine the Regents and President of WI allowing him to do both. The time committment would make it impossible to do a good job at either.

At age 66 (turns Dec 30) after having been retired for 7 years, I'd be real surprised if Alvarez coached again after New Year's Day. But if he does, I would think he would bow out of the AD role. Either way, Wisconsin needs to make a significant hire, so not sure if it really saves anything (unless they have the next AD on staff).

The idea that he would coach for a year or two specifically to wait for Chryst is faulty in my opinion (I don't know that you're implying that, but other people have). What happens if Chryst flops at Pitt? Or is so successful that Pitt backs a dump truck full of money up to Chryst's front door? Or he takes a job in the SEC? Or gets into legal or NCAA trouble? And honestly, would it be any less disloyal to poach Chryst after a year or two than it would be this year?

Maybe Barry doesn't like any coaching candidates right now and will wait another year or two.. It's not like he has a young family to attend to every night and anyways being an AD is far more rigorous than a head coach, granted he does have assistants helping him out, but he still has a lot of work to do everyday.

I would be stunned. I can't imagine the Regents and President of WI allowing him to do both. The time committment would make it impossible to do a good job at either.

At age 66 (turns Dec 30) after having been retired for 7 years, I'd be real surprised if Alvarez coached again after New Year's Day. But if he does, I would think he would bow out of the AD
role. Either way, Wisconsin needs to make a significant hire, so not sure if it really saves anything
(unless they have the next AD on staff).

The idea that he would coach for a year or two specifically to wait for Chryst is faulty in my opinion
(I don't know that you're implying that, but other people have). What happens if Chryst flops at
Pitt? Or is so successful that Pitt backs a dump truck full of money up to Chryst's front door? Or
he takes a job in the SEC? Or gets into legal or NCAA trouble? And honestly, would it be any less
disloyal to poach Chryst after a year or two than it would be this year?

Barry never retired from coaching, he just became a puppet master. Bret knew he couldn't duplicate this season again without Cryst. He will fail miserably in the SEC without his blanky....Barry.

Is the BA getting a cheerleader pregnant story legit?

Yeah, my best friends sisters boyfriends cousin heard from this guy at Wandos, that Barry knocked her up.

Honestly I don't know but even badger fans acknowledge it.

Is the BA getting a cheerleader pregnant story legit?

Never confirmed and a rumor variation I've heard is that she had an abortion, so quite possibly no kid.

What is known is that BA was widely known as a "player" back in the day, supposedly something happened that made Cindy issue the "stop or I'm gone" card, he stopped (at least publicly), and they are still together.

So, any number of stories fit the publicly known facts.

It is the primary reason BA was stuck in Madison. He has made the best of his situation but there is no Notre Dame landing pad for Barry I find it funny that as AD he will actually take the game day pay. that is like my banker friend who refied for free at every interest rate drop.......and took the bank refi gift of a blanket, gift card

It is the primary reason BA was stuck in Madison. He has made the best of his situation but there is no Notre Dame landing pad for Barry I find it funny that as AD he will actually take the game day pay. that is like my banker friend who refied for free at every interest rate drop.......and took the bank refi gift of a blanket, gift card

I thought that was strange too. Maybe he will donate it to his favorite charity?

I thought that was strange too. Maybe he will donate it to his favorite charity?

I'm about to be FAIR to Barry. He's getting $118,500. It's basically Bielema's money plus 10% of his A.D. money. Yeah, pretty reasonable.

MADISON, Wis. -- Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez will earn $118,500 for returning to the sidelines to coach the Badgers in the Rose Bowl and a win against Stanford will mean a $50,000 bonus.

The executive committee of the university Board of Regents on Tuesday agreed to the terms following the surprise departure last week of head coach Bret Bielema to take the same job at Arkansas.

Alvarez was Wisconsin's coach from 1990 through 2005, a time when he won three Rose Bowl titles. The money for the coaching job will come out of Bielema's $1 million buyout to be paid by Arkansas.

Alvarez will receive $195,000 in December, which is 90 percent of Bielema's monthly coaching salary. He will also get $8,500, which is 10 percent of his athletic director salary. The total pay of $203,500 is a one-time $118,500 increase in his monthly salary.

"We weighed the factors involved, including the unique circumstances that developed less than a month before the game, the challenges of the job, the marketplace and his strength as a coach and concluded that this is a reasonable arrangement," said board President Brent Smith.

Interim UW-Madison Chancellor David Ward said the pay package was "fair and proportional."

"Coach Alvarez has a one-of-a-kind skill set that the university needs to be successful -- both in the Rose Bowl and in attracting the best coaching candidates in the search for someone to lead the Badgers' football program going forward," Ward said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...wisconsin-badgers-paid-118500-coach-rose-bowl

the story in Madison is that Cindy was given a fancy car around the time of the story like 1994 -95. I recall my dad telling me it was 39 pontiac.

Ten days in jail! From the original charge of two years and a hefty fine?
Papa Barry pulling strings at the judicial level. Unreal.
" When we get behind closed doors"....Charlie Rich

If they fined the heck out of him, I could care less, but 2 years for microwaving a BIRD? What a waste...sorry if I don't care about birds that much. This story was pretty low on the list of reasons I couldn't stand Barry.

Top Bottom