The Mason Era Continues Until MarQueis Gray is QB

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
I know that the need to replace Weber has been posted several times, but this is something to think about. Watching the game yesterday, I was struck that, almost 3 years later, we are still in the Mason era. The biggest problems yesterday were: OL (dominated by Mason recruits), DL (dominated by Mason recruits) and QB (a Mason recruit). To me, the biggest way we change the identity of this team is to bench Weber permanently. He cannot play in this offense and was very mediocre even when he was in an offense he could execute.

I am down on the coaching staff as much as everyone else, but I feel like we still have not seen the Brewster era truly arrive. This will only occur when MarQueis Gray is named the starter. If he fails, the Brewster era fails and we can all move on with our lives. Until then, I feel we only have one foot in the canoe.

To me, the biggest way we change the identity of this team is to bench Weber permanently. He cannot play in this offense and was very mediocre even when he was in an offense he could execute.

I am down on the coaching staff as much as everyone else, but I feel like we still have not seen the Brewster era truly arrive. This will only occur when MarQueis Gray is named the starter. If he fails, the Brewster era fails and we can all move on with our lives. Until then, I feel we only have one foot in the canoe.

Excellent points and post Pete. I haven't really thought about that point but I see what you mean 100% A friend of mine told me that Weber had surgery during the off-season on his throwing shoulder. Is this true? (I know they changed his throwing motion) If so maybe something doesn't feel right in there.

Great idea...

let's all put our lives on hold until MG saves GN, fails, thus Brewster fails and gets axed...then we can move on leading our lives of quiet desperation.

Although Gray needs to play more - I don't think you can, or should, base a regime's success on one player.

A couple comments:
1. Gray should have redshirted last year, but he wasn't on the team because he had to retake the ACT. If he had been on the team all of last year, he would be better prepared to play more this year. The reality is, we are a year behind in Gray's development. Next year will be a different situation.
2. I think Weber's surgery was on his non-throwing shoulder. That can still have an impact because the lingering affects of the injury and surgery could limit the amount of upper body rotation he gets during a throw.

there is a mentality on this board that everything mason is anathema.

what you are saying is that brewster is a moron. because only a moron would rather fail with mason's recruits than succeed with his own. there is the possibility that brewster is indeed playing the best quarterback we have.

Not really. Maybe you missed but Brewster has the ability to start whoever he wants. Its the Brewster era right now because Brewster CHOSE to start Weber. He has other choices but refuses to use them.

Agree...

this is the Brewster "era"...the days of Mason finger-pointing re on-field personnel choices and decisions are long gone. May they R.I.P.

I know that the need to replace Weber has been posted several times, but this is something to think about. Watching the game yesterday, I was struck that, almost 3 years later, we are still in the Mason era. The biggest problems yesterday were: OL (dominated by Mason recruits), DL (dominated by Mason recruits) and QB (a Mason recruit). To me, the biggest way we change the identity of this team is to bench Weber permanently. He cannot play in this offense and was very mediocre even when he was in an offense he could execute.

This team will be completely better once that Mason recruit Eric Decker is off the team.

I don't think everything Mason is anathema, but we can't seriously say that we were ever going to reach the Big 10's first-tier with him at the helm. I don't know if Brewster gets us there either, but we were really going nowhere under Mason, who seemed more interested in getting 1,000 rushers than building a strong and sustainable program. He and his staff did get a lot out of players, but the lack of athletic ability, especially on defense, doomed his squads. Remember, he was a missed FG from losing to NDSU the year of his firing.

I'm torn on Weber. Tough kid with some ability, but we have to remember that the spread could make a parapelegic look like a decent QB. He clearly hasn't adapted well to the new system.

I wish I could blame the person previously in my job every time I make a mistake or things don't go as I would like. Sorry, things don't work that way in the real world!

But if you replaced a salesperson who had screwed up with half the customers, you'd have a steeper hill to climb when you took over his position. That wouldn't excuse any mistakes you made on your own, but it would provide context as to why your production numbers would be what they were in your first few quarters.

Not really. Maybe you missed but Brewster has the ability to start whoever he wants. Its the Brewster era right now because Brewster CHOSE to start Weber. He has other choices but refuses to use them.

Not only did he choose to start Weber, but he made Weber the unquestioned starter at QB while declaring every other position on the team as an open competition. He's probably still better than Gray, but let's find out for sure. Did it hurt OSU and Iowa to change QBs last year? What about Sconnie this year?

Not only did he choose to start Weber, but he made Weber the unquestioned starter at QB while declaring every other position on the team as an open competition. He's probably still better than Gray, but let's find out for sure. Did it hurt OSU and Iowa to change QBs last year? What about Sconnie this year?

Who cares what other teams did. That's totally unrelated to this situation.

It just amazes me how some can say Gray should be the Qb when we see him for 3 hours a week, mostly standing on the sideline. The coaches are with him everyday on the practice field and in meetings. If they really thought Gray gave them a better chance of winning, he'd be our starting QB right now.

This really remind me of when I was a D2 coach myself awhile back. Our best RB averaged between 4-5 yards a carry throughout the season. We had a pretty fast frosh RB as well. We would run a few plays every game specifically for him (usually pitches and stretch plays to use his speed). He ended up averaging like 7 yards a carry, but only got about 5 carries a game. Fans couldn't figure out why he wasn't our starting RB. Well, if they would have come to our practices and meetings, they would have seen that he was yelled at by our coaches more than anyone on the team because he missed assignments, ran wrong routes, and couldn't pick up a blitz to save his life.

qUESTION TO Brew on Sid's re why not redshirt Gray. Listen to the answer:

"He is one play away from being our startin' quarterback."

How does playing him as a runner and receiver prepare him to start at qb? What a waste of a year of eligibility. Typical of Brew's lack of brainpower.

qUESTION TO Brew on Sid's re why not redshirt Gray. Listen to the answer:

"He is one play away from being our startin' quarterback."

How does playing him as a runner and receiver prepare him to start at qb? What a waste of a year of eligibility. Typical of Brew's lack of brainpower.

You'd rather roll into this season with one quarterback, and just hope he doesn't get injured?

On this whole redshirt argument....there's a point to be made, for sure, but everyone seems to be forgetting that there's a BETTER recruit a year behind Gray. Do you think maybe Brewster isn't as worried about 'wasting' a year of Gray's eligibility (while getting him on the field in real games, and getting him a lot of time with the kids that will make up his offense in practice) because he feels like he has an even better QB waiting in the wings?
I'm excited to see what Gray can do, but I think worrying about his eligibility is a bit premature. For all we know, he may never start a game here.

WI fell on their face when bielema put in the other QB this passed weekend.

Still looking for a 9-3 season, but unless Weber is hurt (Favre Jets like) he should still be taking 90% of the snaps in a game.

I do not want to hear after the season that Weber was limited by lingering injuries. In that case, bring in the back up.

You'd rather roll into this season with one quarterback, and just hope he doesn't get injured?

On this whole redshirt argument....there's a point to be made, for sure, but everyone seems to be forgetting that there's a BETTER recruit a year behind Gray. Do you think maybe Brewster isn't as worried about 'wasting' a year of Gray's eligibility (while getting him on the field in real games, and getting him a lot of time with the kids that will make up his offense in practice) because he feels like he has an even better QB waiting in the wings?
I'm excited to see what Gray can do, but I think worrying about his eligibility is a bit premature. For all we know, he may never start a game here.

Alipate threw some nice balls in the scrimmage this fall, I guess he's ready to run the offense, no harm in throwing a freshmen with no experience out there right? What's the worst that could happen? He's GOT to be better than Weber. Can't be any worse, throw him out there we'll still go 6-6 at worst, maybe he plays out of his mind and we go undefeated the rest of the year. :rolleyes:

WI fell on their face when bielema put in the other QB this passed weekend.

QUOTE]Fine. Maybe that happens with Gray. Maybe it doesn't. They keep shuffling the line because that isn't working, try something else. Weber's thrown one TD pass this season to a receiver not named Decker, and that happened early at Syracuse. Maybe Weber needs to be shown that he's not above being replaced, maybe that lights a spark. Something has to change.

This team will be completely better once that Mason recruit Eric Decker is off the team.

I did not say that the team would be better once Mason's recruits leave. In fact, I suggested the opposite may occur.

My post suggested that MarQueis Gray is the "face" of the Brewster era and once he is installed, there will be more of a feeling that we are moving forward. Please read, of course, that "moving forward" does not necessarily mean "improving."

Hey GophersInIowa

You write: "Who cares what other teams did. That's totally unrelated to this situation."

Then you contradict yourself by talking about how your Dq2 siutation totally is related to this situation. Come on, man, go back to your 3/2 beer and corn.

Masons team

Until every player who played or was recruited by Mase is off the team, it's still Masons team!

Until every player who played or was recruited by Mase is off the team, it's still Masons team!

This is perhaps the lamest excuse I have ever read. [even if you said it facetiously I know all too many believe it]

There are a ton of kids that were sold playing time on this squad when they joined, and if they aren't out there it isn't Mason's fault. I will go on the record and say Brewster could lose out and I wouldn't support firing him, but this absolute non-sense some of you pander in his support is absolutely an embarrassment.

- So Nick Saban can't take credit for having the No. 2 team in the nation because it's Mike Shula's recruits?

- Chris Peterson at Boise State for having the team ranked 4th in the BCS?

- Brian Kelly at Cincy for having the Bearcats ranked 5th?

- Randy Shannon at Miami for having the Canes at 10?

- Paul Johnson for having Georgia Tech 12th?

Well, congrats to Mike Shula, Dan Hawkins, Mark Dantonio, Larry Coker and Chan Gailey for their great work this season!!!

Top Bottom