The Madden Effect

diefirma

Reaction score
There is a saying in aviation “There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are NO old, bold pilots.” The same is true in football.

Mistakes lose football games and many/most football games are lost rather than being won. Real football coaches at every level are conservative, not only because they want to eliminate mistakes, but also because offensive football in particular is hard. Why do you think coaches at all levels spend so much time worrying about field position? Long drives are rare and only happen a few times a game, if that, unless the teams have very unequal talent. Risk, i.e. “opening it up” has to be balanced with getting the first down and improving your field position. I think Gruden mentioned during last nights Vikings game that the odds of making a first down on 3ed and 10 are only about 15%.

Where is offensive football easy? In Madden NFL, of course. 3ed and 25 on your own 10? “Open it up” and throw a long bomb. 4th and 5 on your own 30? Why go for it, of course. Why not? There is no physical, emotional or financial investment in a game of Madden. If you lose you just grab another beer and play again. That is not the way real football works.

The coaches, players, the University of Minnesota and the state of Minnesota through its contribution to TCF, are all hugely invested in the success of Gopher football. Don’t lose the game by getting stupid penalties, don’t miss blocks, don’t take sacks, don’t fumble or throw picks. Get first downs, improve field position and, every now and then, take a calculated risk. Whatever you do, don’t “open it up” with an inexperienced QB. That is just asking to lose the game. Save that strategy for Madden. It works much better there.

So… for all you Madden players, all you fantasy football experts, all you bandwagon jumpers, I would ask you to do this;

Watch some local high school football so you can see for yourself how difficult offensive football is. Passes are dropped, routes not run correctly, blocks missed, runners not seeing the holes, etc. Appreciate that these players are GOOD high school athletes. Watching a high school game is good for everyone - you, the players, the local high school - everyone.

Hope the Gophers don’t make many mistakes during the game. All teams make mistakes but hope the Gophers make fewer of them than the other team.

Take a break from Madden and stop thinking all football is played like the very best pro teams or like the highlights on Sports Center. It’s not.

Cheer for every first down, worry about field position and hope our QBs can protect the ball.

Realize the Gophers are not there yet but also realize they are making progress. This calls for you to put your big boy pants on and not be, as some other poster called you, “Whiny little bitches”

Of course it is OK to talk football on a football site but please, if you don’t understand why the coaches did something, pose a question not posit a Madden strategy that worked for you last night.

In the words of Mike Tice “Enjoy the game!”

POSTSCRIPT

A little math… if a QB completes 65% of his passes then the odds of completing two passes in a row are .65 x .65 = 42% The odds of completing three passes in a row are .42 x .65 = 27% Of course, some passes have a higher completion percentage than others, but the point still holds.

When Limegrover first started in coaching he said he implemented a spread offense but gave it up after a season or two. There were simply too many 3 and out series which put the defense back out on the field. Games were lost. Only a very few teams in the country can run the spread successfully. The Gophers are not one of those teams.

Whew ... Got that off my chest. Fire away.

i see the point you are making, but it really doesn't have anything to do with Madden or NCAA or any game for that matter. in all honesty, although those games are great for learning route combos that work (and they do work, they're run every game like the smash, levels, slants, etc.), nobody thinks, hey i went for it on 4th down in NCAA and converted to beat Bama in the NC. People all feel like they see things in the way teams are stopping us. In all honesty, I understand a lot more of the intricacies of defensive schemes because of NCAA (and I'll talk scheme with anyone any day of the week on O or D) but in no way does it make me decide how I approach a particular play, game, etc. It more so has to do with the feeling that there's something we should exploit using a play or method that our players should be able to use.
I feel that's the main logical standpoint people are coming from. Just my 2 cents

There is a saying in aviation “There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are NO old, bold pilots.” The same is true in football.

Mistakes lose football games and many/most football games are lost rather than being won. Real football coaches at every level are conservative, not only because they want to eliminate mistakes, but also because offensive football in particular is hard. Why do you think coaches at all levels spend so much time worrying about field position? Long drives are rare and only happen a few times a game, if that, unless the teams have very unequal talent. Risk, i.e. “opening it up” has to be balanced with getting the first down and improving your field position. I think Gruden mentioned during last nights Vikings game that the odds of making a first down on 3ed and 10 are only about 15%.

Where is offensive football easy? In Madden NFL, of course. 3ed and 25 on your own 10? “Open it up” and throw a long bomb. 4th and 5 on your own 30? Why go for it, of course. Why not? There is no physical, emotional or financial investment in a game of Madden. If you lose you just grab another beer and play again. That is not the way real football works.

The coaches, players, the University of Minnesota and the state of Minnesota through its contribution to TCF, are all hugely invested in the success of Gopher football. Don’t lose the game by getting stupid penalties, don’t miss blocks, don’t take sacks, don’t fumble or throw picks. Get first downs, improve field position and, every now and then, take a calculated risk. Whatever you do, don’t “open it up” with an inexperienced QB. That is just asking to lose the game. Save that strategy for Madden. It works much better there.

So… for all you Madden players, all you fantasy football experts, all you bandwagon jumpers, I would ask you to do this;

Watch some local high school football so you can see for yourself how difficult offensive football is. Passes are dropped, routes not run correctly, blocks missed, runners not seeing the holes, etc. Appreciate that these players are GOOD high school athletes. Watching a high school game is good for everyone - you, the players, the local high school - everyone.

Hope the Gophers don’t make many mistakes during the game. All teams make mistakes but hope the Gophers make fewer of them than the other team.

Take a break from Madden and stop thinking all football is played like the very best pro teams or like the highlights on Sports Center. It’s not.

Cheer for every first down, worry about field position and hope our QBs can protect the ball.

Realize the Gophers are not there yet but also realize they are making progress. This calls for you to put your big boy pants on and not be, as some other poster called you, “Whiny little bitches”

Of course it is OK to talk football on a football site but please, if you don’t understand why the coaches did something, pose a question not posit a Madden strategy that worked for you last night.

In the words of Mike Tice “Enjoy the game!”

POSTSCRIPT

A little math… if a QB completes 65% of his passes then the odds of completing two passes in a row are .65 x .65 = 42% The odds of completing three passes in a row are .42 x .65 = 27% Of course, some passes have a higher completion percentage than others, but the point still holds.

When Limegrover first started in coaching he said he implemented a spread offense but gave it up after a season or two. There were simply too many 3 and out series which put the defense back out on the field. Games were lost. Only a very few teams in the country can run the spread successfully. The Gophers are not one of those teams.

Whew ... Got that off my chest. Fire away.

and just some interesting info, i don't know if you play NCAA or Madden, but they are incorporating these things in the game to discourage people from being over aggressive and they punish you for stupidity in play calling. Now guys slip on routes, drop balls, overthrow the ball and these things become especially apparent on the top levels (Heisman or All-Madden). just found it interesting that EA is taking steps to slow down the over-aggressive nature of people

My frustration against Michigan wasn't that they weren't running some kind of run and shoot offense. But when you are in the game against a team you have no business being in the game with, you have two choices - you either try to keep it close for a moral victory or you try to run a little more uptempo so that you legitimately have time to score twice. I was never asking the Gophers to throw deep every down. But spending virtually every second of the play clock huddling EVERY down when you don't have a high power offense and you need a lot of time to score makes no sense. That is simply trying to keep it respectible, not trying to give your team the best chance to win.

It has nothing to do with Madden. Jerry went for it on 4th and 17 last year. That was asinine and very much like Madden. Nobody wants that.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. We need to play smart and call smart to win (smart meaning conservative in this case). But according to ESPN, we are 119th in the nation in pass yards per game. I don't think that we are that bad at passing where it is necessary to be that conservative. In addition, I don't think that our run game is anywhere near dominant enough to justify being ranked 119th in that category.

To sum it up, I trust our coaches, but I would like to see them open it up a bit more (while still remaining run heavy).

We should see a good chance to compare the competing theories about offense this year. We play against Indiana, we both hired our coaches for the same season, they both inherited teams coming off of very bad years, and they have very different offensive philosophies. That game should be a good benchmark for where our program is at and which system is working better three years in.

While I personally think that we have been a little more conservative than we should have been in certain spots (especially in 2 minute drill situations), I believe that we will show the superiority of Coach Kill's system in that game, coming out of Indiana with a key win.

Stop comparing us to high school football and Madden and instead compare us to other college football teams. The NW win was a fantastic win, but we scored one offensive touchdown. One. Outside of opening up on Purdue last year, we really haven't shown we can hang with the B1G offensively. We also haven't proven that we can run the football against legitimate B1G lines (Wisc, MSU, Iowa, Mich). When we can't run, we have not proven that we can make adjustments to keep us competitive.

Those of us that are asking to see more offensive competency are not bandwagoners, naysayers, chicken littles, or any less of a Gopher fan. We root and we hope (and we spend) the same as anyone else. But there has not been any reason to believe we're ready to hang in the B1G. Our anxiousness with the O isn't only with the losses, it is that we don't look competent.

This is a forum to discuss college football. Our team has many more flaws then strengths and we are right to talk about how to improve, as well as celebrate our wins.

I'm just going to add, I loved our first offensive play against Northwestern. Nearly started off with a 25 yard completion. (seemed relevant to the conversation, albeit only slightly)

... if you don’t understand why the coaches did something, pose a question not posit a Madden strategy that worked for you last night.

Only a very few teams in the country can run the spread successfully. The Gophers are not one of those teams.

Many good points. Thanks for taking the time to write. Along those lines, I would like to see Madden (or NCAA, which upnorthkid plays) force players to practice 10 hours before playing a game. Players would need to run, execute, and become proficient at plays in practice before attempting them in a game. I wonder over the course of a college football season how many plays are "drawn up in the dirt" during a game. My guess is zero. A team laden with experienced seniors may, however, be able to improvise.

The offensive coaches watch film of opponents and of their own players to devise strategy to employ each week. In addition, according to game plans for dissimilar opponents, the playbook grows by season's end. It's easy to arm-chair while watching a game and see the advantages of maneuvering players around, but it's still mostly hind sight for the average fan.

I don't think that we are that bad at passing where it is necessary to be that conservative....
To sum it up, I trust our coaches, but I would like to see them open it up a bit more (while still remaining run heavy).

I disagree. Even with infrequent passing I can point to a wide open receiver in each of the last three games that was missed by our QBs. I think they will eventually make those throws. I also believe our young receiving corps will do a better job of running routes and catching balls as they mature. Our offensive line is really becoming a strength of this team and there's nothing more demoralizing that having the running game rammed down your throat.

My frustration against Michigan wasn't that they weren't running some kind of run and shoot offense. But when you are in the game against a team you have no business being in the game with, you have two choices - you either try to keep it close for a moral victory or you try to run a little more uptempo so that you legitimately have time to score twice. I was never asking the Gophers to throw deep every down. But spending virtually every second of the play clock huddling EVERY down when you don't have a high power offense and you need a lot of time to score makes no sense. That is simply trying to keep it respectible, not trying to give your team the best chance to win.

I believe different teams have different offensive rhythms that work best for them. I don't think playing "up-tempo" is something you can just decide to do, and at this point isn't really in line with the current offensive philosophy.

I don't think it's that absurd to expect your Offense to actually score & move the ball...

We're not there yet... not sure we've ever been there under Kill but I guess he has to get his own players in there because NIU was a monster on Offense when he was there...

Top Bottom