The kit clash

Zeppelin Gopher

Reaction score
Was anyone else seriously annoyed by this? The decision to wear all white against the gimmicky Illini grey was awful. Zero contrast, confusing to watch. Why not sprinkle in some gold or maroon to create more of a color clash?

Didn't really think about it though I'm just not a fan of the all-white top bottom combo in general.

I did notice a few times when players got to certain parts of the field the lighting would get weird on the TV and I actually couldn't tell the difference between the white and grey uniforms

I wish they would at least wear contrasting socks, the all white pants with white socks makes it look like they are wearing leggings or long underwear.

all maroon or all gold for me.

My favorite uniforms are the ones we wear when we win.

My favorite uniforms are the ones we wear when we win.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm sure zep hadn't considered that the Gophers won when he posted something completely unrelated to a win or loss.

Gray is awful. Especially when it is not one of your school colors.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

I was at the game and in person there was zero problem telling the team's apart. FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was anyone else seriously annoyed by this? The decision to wear all white against the gimmicky Illini grey was awful. Zero contrast, confusing to watch. Why not sprinkle in some gold or maroon to create more of a color clash?

I like the idea of gold sprinkles! A more festive football uni might do wonders for recruiting. Plus we shouldn't have to worry about those pesky restraining orders.

If it was up to me, no white pants ever. Should always wear maroon or gold pants.

Hey - here's an idea - let's get the anthracite unis out of mothballs for one of the remaining home games.

The Illinois uniforms were god awful. I bet when the players came into the locker room there was a universal....WTF!

At least Illinois has some rationale for grey. Not sure what the rationale for anthracite was.

For the third straight year, the Fighting Illini football team will honor Harold "Red" Grange, the Galloping Ghost, by wearing special "Gray Ghost" alternate uniforms for Homecoming when the Minnesota Golden Gophers come to Memorial Stadium Saturday for a Big Ten West showdown (11 am CT on BTN).

The uniforms debuted at Homecoming 2014 on the 90th anniversary of Grange's historic Homecoming performance against Michigan in the Memorial Stadium dedication game on Oct. 18, 1924. In that game, Grange scored four touchdowns and racked up 262 total yards in the first 12 minutes, then ran for a fifth touchdown and threw for a sixth to lead the Illini to a 39-14 victory in what many consider the greatest single-game performance in college football history.

Famed sports writer Grantland Rice tabbed Grange as a "gray ghost" following the Michigan Performance:

A streak of fire, a breath of flame
Eluding all who reach and clutch;
A gray ghost thrown into the game
That rival hands may never touch;
A rubber bounding, blasting soul
Whose destination is the goal.
Red Grange of Illinois!
-- Grantland Rice, 1924

All white with maroon lids is the best looking, sharpest road combo IMO.

I like the all-white.

There's a few combos we still haven't seen yet - like gold helmet, white jersey, maroon pants. Think it would look good (picturing Gopher hockey home games).

I am partial to chartreuse tops, with lime green pants. That neat thing there is that the green pants won't show the grass stains as much. Of course they hardly ever play on grass anymore, and lime green won't hide it anyway.

I don't care what color they wear, just give me lots of 40 to 17 wins. Of course I am color blind too.

I am partial to chartreuse tops, with lime green pants. That neat thing there is that the green pants won't show the grass stains as much. Of course they hardly ever play on grass anymore, and lime green won't hide it anyway.

I don't care what color they wear, just give me lots of 40 to 17 wins. Of course I am color blind too.

Agree. The all white are anti-awesome but look @ Oregon with 10,000 uniform combinations and 0 national titles.

I prefer the paisley myself. We don't see it enough.

I thought the same thing, I was hoping the Gophers would wear the mostly gold road outfit - in fact, for all road games - to send a "Golden Gopher" slogan message. The all-whites are drab and the maroon and whites not much better.

Top Bottom