The Importance Of The University of Minnesota Being Penn State’s White Out Opponent

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Caleb:

What This Means For The Gophers Program​

Being named the white out opponent for 2022 shows just how much of a turnaround the Gophers have made since P.J. Fleck came to Minneapolis. Fleck came to Minnesota from Western Michigan after a 13-1 season only losing to Wisconsin (although he has gotten payback a few times since then). Since coming to Minnesota, the team has gone 35-23 with a win percentage of .603 over five seasons. The Gophers have had only two losing seasons since Fleck’s arrival. The first was in 2017 (Fleck’s first season) where they went 5-7. The other was 2020 (covid) where they went 3-4.

During the previous five seasons the Gophers went 37-28 with a winning percentage of .569. With Fleck, the Gophers winning percentage has improved. During those five years prior to Fleck, the Gophers were mediocre to good. The best record came in 2016 when they went 9-4. The Gophers under Fleck have had two seasons the same or better. The first was 2019 during their historic 11-2 season, then in 2021 when they finished 9-4.

While the Gophers haven’t been as consistent during the previous five years, their program has improved. The Gophers have been more competitive, competing with teams like Michigan and Ohio State and even beating top teams like Penn State and Auburn. They have recruited much better, getting quality players and coaches. The team looks to rebound this season, even after going 9-4. The return of offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca should help the offense rebound from a lackluster performance last season. The Gophers boast a strong veteran team, with players at every position. This includes quarterback, running back, wide receiver, linebackers, and secondary. The offensive and defensive line had to rebuild a little, bringing in a few transfers to help retool the two lines. If things go well here, expect another crack at a 2019 caliber season in the North Star State.

What To Expect From The Game​

The last time these two played was in 2019. Penn State was ranked fourth in the nation and the Golden Gophers 17th. Both were undefeated at 8-0. It was a great game that came down to the wire, ending with the Gophers intercepting Sean Clifford for the third time to seal the victory 31-26.

Both quarterbacks who played in that game will be playing in this one as well. Both Tanner Morgan and Sean Clifford are six-year seniors who are set to fight it out in the white out game. Going into the game the Gophers at worst should be 4-2 and at best 6-0 (though unlikely). Penn State on the other hand should be at worst 3-3 or at best 6-0 (also unlikely). Will we get the undefeated matchup like in 2019? As much as I would love to say yes, both teams should have a loss if not a pair come October 22nd.

Expect a good matchup come October though. Both teams should be good. Both underperformed last season and are looking to get back and compete for their divisions. Who knows, maybe this could be a preview of the Big 10 Championship. You never know, anything can happen in college football.

Go Gophers!!

I am really looking forward to this one because I'll be there in person, part of an overall group of 16 that my son has put together. It will be the first of two trips I will be making there within the next 9 months (White out and law school graduation). We were planning on this game two years ago already, long before it was announced to be this year's white out. I feel like we just completely lucked out getting it as the white out on top of our existing plans.

It will also check off another B1G stadium for me and in many ways given how difficult it is to travel there compared to other B1G schools, I feel fortunate about that too. I have taken a strange route to visiting all the B1G stadiums as after this season I will have visited Ohio State and Penn State but not Northwestern, Illinois, or Purdue for example. And, I haven't seen a road win yet (0-5 so far) so that's a bit of a problem.

I’d expect the Gophers to be favored in 5 of their first 6 games. Being 6-0 doesn’t seem entirely unreasonable.
Yeah, Purdue and MSU are the two closest games in the first 6, if we win against MSU to go 4-0, I would be shocked to not be 6-0 going into PSU, unless MSU is really down this year and Purdue is looking like the west team that'll win this year.

I see No reason we can’t be 6-0. MSU is taking a big step back this year (putting it all on their qb is going to be rough when they don’t have Walker). Purdue will be a sneaky tough game that’s going to have huge effect on the west title (I think it’s between us, Purdue, and whichever of Wisconsin and Iowa find someome to be competent at qb)

Can’t wait for this White Out game. I’ll also be there.

Purdont ain’t gonna do nuttin to us.

Top Bottom