The Harsh Truth

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
Gopher Fans,

Most of you will find this message as slanderous, off-putting, unfair or just plain criminal. Franky, I don't care.

Your program is a joke.

Start recruiting players of higher moral standing (football, basketball, wrestling), start hiring coaches who care more and nurture an atmosphere of respect and integrity (remains to be seen, to be honest), start winning games and quit complaining about what resources you do or don't have.

There are many examples of players and coaches at the U who have been stellar examples of what it means to be a leader, but for every good example, there is a bad example. This does NOT happen at all universities, and it needs to change. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, the B1G outside of Minnesota and the broader NCAA athletics community views your program's lack of control as a culture at the U of M. That may be fair and it may not be, but that is how people view the U, so there must be some truth to it.

Until the Gophers realize that they aren't hot $#!t and that they have serious work to do on the field/court/mat/ice, that they all need to quit screwing around and hold teammates/ADs/coaches accountable from within and that all stakeholders need quit pretending that this isn's a problem; the U will continue to be seen as a joke. You need a MAJOR reality check and a MAJOR culture change.

That is all. Ban me. Report me. Attack me. It needs to be said.

I think most fans would agree with your analysis.

You have 1256 posts and you refer to us as "you"? OK.

But point taken.

Yea ok, I think these things are common at almost all major d1 programs. The difference is in MN we don't cover it up or just put up with it as most major programs do.

Gopher Fans,

Most of you will find this message as slanderous, off-putting, unfair or just plain criminal. Franky, I don't care.

Your program is a joke.

Start recruiting players of higher moral standing (football, basketball, wrestling), start hiring coaches who care more and nurture an atmosphere of respect and integrity (remains to be seen, to be honest), start winning games and quit complaining about what resources you do or don't have.

There are many examples of players and coaches at the U who have been stellar examples of what it means to be a leader, but for every good example, there is a bad example. This does NOT happen at all universities, and it needs to change. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, the B1G outside of Minnesota and the broader NCAA athletics community views your program's lack of control as a culture at the U of M. That may be fair and it may not be, but that is how people view the U, so there must be some truth to it.

Until the Gophers realize that they aren't hot $#!t and that they have serious work to do on the field/court/mat/ice, that they all need to quit screwing around and hold teammates/ADs/coaches accountable from within and that all stakeholders need quit pretending that this isn's a problem; the U will continue to be seen as a joke. You need a MAJOR reality check and a MAJOR culture change.

No, NDSU can't have our spot in the B1G. Nice try though.

Gopher Fans,

Your program is a joke.

Yes, let's end the endemic sexual entitlement that comes from being a division 1 football player and the way young men, particularly young African American men, objectify and demean women. Let's also end the alcohol fueled date rape culture that has become so ingrained in colleges across our country and just recruit Mormons.

The behavior is appalling but you're wrong not to think it's not wide spread. If you really want to turn things around, you can't stick your head in a hole in the ground, you need to build a proactive support structure that deals with the reality of the choices these players have and help them make the right ones on a daily basis. From what I can tell, the U lacks that critical structure and in this day and age, the coaches, the AD and the greater administration need to own that. 20 horny dudes in a position of power coercing girls into a gangbang at an apartment is something you'd like to make sure can't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gopher Fans,

Your program is a joke.

Yeah, I had a crappy upbringing and like to blow up at everyone around me once in a while too.

Yeah, I had a crappy upbringing and like to blow up at everyone around me once in a while too.

I spent a week in Eastern Wisconsin recently, and went to the Gopher Football game in Lincoln this year, had many conversations with locals, and fans, and no one was anything but complimentary.

Yes, let's end the endemic sexual entitlement that comes from being a division 1 football player and the way young men, particularly young African American men, objectify and demean women. Let's also end the alcohol fueled date rape culture that has become so ingrained in colleges across our country and just recruit Mormons.

The behavior is appalling but you're wrong not to think it's not wide spread. If you really want to turn things around, you can't stick your head in a hole in the ground, you need to build a proactive support structure that deals with the reality of the choices these players have and help them make the right ones on a daily basis. From what I can tell, the U lacks that critical structure and in this day and age, the coaches, the AD and the greater administration need to own that. 20 horny dudes in a position of power coercing girls into a gangbang at an apartment is something you'd like to make sure can't happen.

Careful...that's a pretty generalized statement there and that probably is a fight you don't want to make.(not with me but with many others include those posting here)

yep, the U couldn't hide this one for 15 years like PSU hid theirs.

"Dec 4, 2004 - PROVO — A state grand jury has indicted four former Brigham Young University football players on allegations of gang rape"

pick a campus, you can find a headline. Notre Dame is a great example of this. Accusers get put through the "meat grinder", as happened to Seeberg at ND. As for football, most programs have a convicted felon on the team, many have multiple.

What seems to be unique about the U vs other schools: they suspend players even when no criminal charges are filed.

Yea ok, I think these things are common at almost all major d1 programs. The difference is in MN we don't cover it up or just put up with it as most major programs do.

Exactly. It happens everywhere. Actually there are lots of places it doesn't get covered up also, but they didn't happen here and people are oblivious to what happens outside this state. It's also a joke to link these events to our lack of on field success. Alabama has plenty of off field issues too.

Careful...that's a pretty generalized statement there and that probably is a fight you don't want to make.(not with me but with many others include those posting here)

Your what is wrong. What he said is a fact and until we stop ignoring this it will continue. There are issues with today's blacks as a general take. Something is wrong and it isn't white people who are causing it?

Your what is wrong. What he said is a fact and until we stop ignoring this it will continue. There are issues with today's blacks as a general take. Something is wrong and it isn't white people who are causing it?

Part of the road down cultural competency is to be able to have meaningful conversations where you confront your own bias. It's gotten to the point however, that so many people are afraid of giving offense that their ability to speak their feelings and have A meaningful conversation is stunted by a perceived fear of being called for being biased. Being self reflective shouldn't lead to paralysis - just the opposite.

Read the texts that those young men were sending to each other and tell me where what I've said is incorrect? Also tell me how ignoring this fact is going to help these young men have meaningful relationships with women? Finally, another part of having a conversation like this is to help set the ground work that you realize this is only representative of some within a culture and young men of all backgrounds can be found just as guilty, though I'd argue not nearly to the same extent. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom