The Gophers are ready to “install windows” and "Grow Higher" in 2020

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Bamboo plants are found in tropical climates. Over the course of three years, wood textured bamboo slowly develops underground. Each day, sunlight, soil and fertilizer help the plant mature. By its fourth growing season, bamboo often stretches more than 100 feet into the air. The parallels of this process can be applied to the Gophers' football team.

In 2017, Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck and his staff planted their own form of ‘bamboo.’ Since then, the ‘tree’ has slowly grown and developed. During his first three seasons, Fleck watched the program ‘grow higher’ every year. Now, after winning 11 games in 2019, the Gophers are set to enter their fourth official growing season.

Like the end of a bamboo plant's cycle, the program is reaching its next highest point in 2020. Before each season, Fleck and his staff develop 'season themes.' This year, the team’s mantra is “Grow Higher,” which stresses the importance of taking another step forward.

“When you talk about bamboo, it takes three years to build underground by the time bamboo actually shoots up to the top,” head coach P.J. Fleck said Monday. “In year four, that’s when you see it shoot 90 to 110 feet in the air. We have the ability to do whatever we want to be able to do and whatever we’re going to pay the price for.”

Around every corner of the facility, spectators will see bamboo trees. These grooved plants signify the next developmental step for Minnesota’s program. While the bamboo plants continue to reach new heights, there is another project still under construction. Fleck and the Gophers have also compared the program’s development to building a house.

During the first season, Minnesota was digging the home’s foundation. A year later, the team set a concrete base. In 2019, the frame and drywall were completed. Now, as the Gophers enter their fourth year of construction, window installation is the next step.

“The wonderful thing about a window is you can look out and see whatever you want to see. You can notice the birds, the sun, the clouds, the sky, but you can see whatever you decide to see,” Fleck said.

When the windows are installed, other people will also begin looking through the glass to see what is inside. After completing an 11-2 season with a 31-24 Outback Bowl win over Auburn, everyone will have their eyes on Minnesota’s ‘house.’

“Now we have windows that the outside world wants to peak in and see and study and know what we’re doing inside our house,” Fleck said. “So we’ve got people looking inside our house now and we’ve got to be ready for all of that and we’ve got to be two steps ahead.”

The coaches and players know they can prepare for every possible circumstance by thinking ahead. For example, Minnesota’s 2019 bye week doesn’t occur until Week 11. The Gophers packed their spring schedule together to simulate the demands of a long season.

“Last year [our team mentality] was ‘smarter, not harder.’ Now, it’s we’re still 'smarter, not harder,' but now we’re going to do it 'better for longer.' We don’t have a bye week until Week 11 and our spring practice got smushed down into about a four-and-a-half week period for a reason,” Fleck said. “We wanted to make sure that we can simulate our season the best we possibly can."

As Minnesota starts spring practices this week, players and coaches will begin the process of ‘growing higher’ each day. By the end of 2020, the program wants to see the grooved ‘bamboo plant’ stretching more than 100 feet into the air.

Other Notes:

Mafe is “twitched up”

When Fleck was asked about players he’s excited to watch this spring, he directly mentioned redshirt junior defensive end Boye Mafe. Despite playing a low snap count, Mafe thrived and was ultra-productive in 2019. He posted three sacks and flashed within Minnesota’s NASCAR pass-rushing package.

“I’m really excited for Boye Mafe,” Fleck said. “[He] just vertical jumped 40 inches. We’re talking about a defensive end doing that. He’s one of the faster guys on our football team in general. He’s twitched up, and sometimes, you need a guy to graduate to really see the potential of somebody else.”

During a recent appearance, I discussed Mafe as a potential ‘Big Ten breakout’ candidate in 2020. With his rare athletic skills and improved technique, he will make noise at the rush end position.

Fleck is excited new additions to his staff

During my recent conversations with football professionals, Minnesota defensive line coach Chad Wilt became a talking point. These people were telling me about his ability to recruit and develop talent at a high level. As I noted before, his experience in diverse defensive schemes is a huge asset.

The Gophers managed to hire Wilt away from Cincinnati in February. His past experience will be key as he develops a young position group. Fleck echoed these thoughts and opinions during Monday’s press conference. He and defensive coordinator Joe Rossi were immediately impressed during Wilt’s interview.

“I’ve interviewed a lot of people in my career as a head football coach and I haven’t had an interview like that before," Fleck said. "Everything he did stimulated us in terms of whatever he was talking about. He had a systematic approach of talking about it, teaching it and teaching it step-by-step. I got everything he said over the hours he was in there. I could recite it all back to you and I think that’s the sign of a really good teacher and a really good coach. I know Coach Fickell didn’t want to lose him, but those are one of the hard calls you have to make.”

In addition to Wilt, the Gophers hired co-offensive coordinator Mike Sanford Jr. (Utah State) and cornerbacks coach Paul Haynes (Michigan State). Fleck worked for Haynes when he was a Ohio State graduate assistant in 2006. The Gophers’ new cornerbacks coach was also a head coach for five seasons at Kent State. This experience will be a valuable asset as Fleck navigates the demands of leading his team.

Overall, Minnesota’s head coach is pleased with his new coaching staff additions and dished out high praise for the group.

“I think this is the best staff I’ve had and I’ve told them that. I’ve told them that to all of their faces in our staff meetings - this is the best I’ve had.” Fleck said. “As a head football coach, in terms of our group together as a team, for each other, I haven’t seen a room better than this and I’m really excited to get working with them.”

VIDEO:

https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/1234572712552607745?s=20

https://twitter.com/DanielHouseNFL/status/1234568919006023682?s=20

https://twitter.com/DanielHouseNFL/status/1234570839317766144?s=20

Last edited:

I just got an estimate for windows, they are really expensive.... where are we getting the money for windows!?!?

Why do I suspect that at this moment someone is Googling bamboo trying to catch PJ in a lie?
There are 1,400 known species of bamboo. Of those, about 900 are tropical and 500 are temperate. The bamboos of North America are found in the Eastern and Southeastern United States, from New Jersey south to Florida and west to Texas. River cane (Arundinaria gigantea) occurs in low woods and along riverbanks. Switch cane (Arundinaria tecta) is found in non-alluvial swamps, moist pine barrens, live oak woods and along sandy margins of streams.

"Most people have no idea that we have native bamboo in the U.S.," Clark said. "But it has been a very important plant ecologically. And there's recent interest in using it for re-vegetation projects because it's native and was used for habitat by so many different animals, especially birds."

Checkmate!

Chip Kelly referred to watering bamboo while in Oregon. He used 90-110 feet in the 4th year as well when talking about it. Another HC that waters bamboo is - Mark Few - Head Coach at Gonzaga - he has bamboo in their Basketball Office - if I remember correctly.

Why do I suspect that at this moment someone is Googling bamboo trying to catch PJ in a lie?
Man you spend a lot of time thinking about me. How close is Philly to New Jersey?

FTR - not everything PJ says is a lie. Some things are just ridiculous or dumb.

Geese out, bamboo in. Good talk by the coach, available on YouTube if you have 20 minutes.

I'm watching the whole video on youtube now and had to ask. Have they done something different the last year or 2 as far as the people asking the questions? It seemed like it used to be some random person in the group of reporters would ask a question but I couldn't hear the question on the video. So there was this long pause and the video would show PJ look out into the crowd like he was hypnotized, then start talking about some player. I had no idea who the player was or what the question was. Now it seems like they sold the heating Coyles and bought enough microphones for the reporters.

I haven't used Windows OS in years. There are more elite systems you can install on your computer IMO!

I was going to ask you “Where’s Spoofin when you need him”, but then I scrolled a little further and saw that he’s already entered the chat on this one. It’s like clockwork

I'm watching the whole video on youtube now and had to ask. Have they done something different the last year or 2 as far as the people asking the questions? It seemed like it used to be some random person in the group of reporters would ask a question but I couldn't hear the question on the video. So there was this long pause and the video would show PJ look out into the crowd like he was hypnotized, then start talking about some player. I had no idea who the player was or what the question was. Now it seems like they sold the heating Coyles and bought enough microphones for the reporters.
At some point during the season last year I noticed they sprung a few bucks for some microphones. I'm glad they did.

ESMsJ-PWoAEM6Ln

Sounds like he got it pretty much right.

I was going to ask you “Where’s Spoofin when you need him”, but then I scrolled a little further and saw that he’s already entered the chat on this one. It’s like clockwork
He just wants to protect us all from being bamboozled.

Top Bottom