The Gopher NCAA Checklist

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
The Gopher NCAA Checklist (updated)

This is now updated through the Michigan game.

1. Must beat at home:
(A) Indiana; and
(B) Iowa

2. Must win 2 of these 3:
(A) Badgers; and/or
(B) Purdue; and/or
(C) **@ Illinois

**Getting a road win vs. a likely NCAA qualifier is most preferable in my opinion, even though Wisconsin and Purdue's RPIs are likely to end up being stronger than the Illini's.

3. Must beat on road:
(A) Northwestern; and
(B) Michigan

Do that and the Gophers will be 20-10 overall and a solid 11-7 in the Big Ten with likely 3 or 4 top-25 RPI wins (a good number for a bubble team) and either a 6-7 or 5-8 road/neutral record. That would be a good road/neutral record among bubble teams from the 6 major conferences.

Nicely stated

Nice post. So simple and understandable that even I get it!:)
Go Gophers

A fellow GHer asked me in a PM what I thought the Gophers needed to do leading up to Indy to secure a NCAA Tournament bid. Here's what I came up with:

1. Must beat at home:
(A) Michigan;
(B) Indiana; and
(C) Iowa

(A) Badgers; and/or
(B) Purdue; and/or
(C) **@ Illinois

**Getting a road win vs. a likely NCAA qualifier is most preferable in my opinion, even though Wisconsin and Purdue's RPIs are likely to end up being stronger than the Illini's.

3. Must win 1 of these 2:
(A) @ Northwestern; or
(B) @ Michigan

Do that and the Gophers will be 20-10 overall and a solid 11-7 in the Big Ten with likely 3 or 4 top-25 RPI wins (a good number for a bubble team) and either a 5-8 or 4-9 road/neutral record. Wouldn't be a great road/neutral record, but it certainly would be in line with most other bubble teams from the 6 major conferences.

I hope after tonight I can make my first check mark.

Even at 20-10 (11-7 in Big 10) I think Gophers need 1 or 2 W in Big 10 tourney also.

no are you kidding? a team that goes 11-7 in the big ten and 22-10 overall should get in. Travesty if that doesn't happen.

Too bad

Winning two of those three road games just wont happen. Looks as if we will need to make a good run in the tournament or we are out.

A fellow GHer asked me in a PM what I thought the Gophers needed to do leading up to Indy to secure a NCAA Tournament bid. Here's what I came up with:

1. Must beat at home:
(A) Michigan;
(B) Indiana; and
(C) Iowa

(A) Badgers; and/or
(B) Purdue; and/or
(C) **@ Illinois

3. Must win 1 of these 2:
(A) @ Northwestern; or
(B) @ Michigan

Do that and the Gophers will be 20-10 overall and a solid 11-7 in the Big Ten with likely 3 or 4 top-25 RPI wins (a good number for a bubble team) and either a 5-8 or 4-9 road/neutral record. Wouldn't be a great road/neutral record, but it certainly would be in line with most other bubble teams from the 6 major conferences.

I hope after tonight I can make my first check mark.

There's no doubt on the first group. I think you can basically combine groups 2 and 3 and say we need to win 3 of the 5. I suppose if we won all the road games and lost the 2 home games it could be said we didn't get the marquee win we needed. But the odds of it playing it out that way are remote.

no are you kidding? a team that goes 11-7 in the big ten and 22-10 overall should get in. Travesty if that doesn't happen.

He's been banging this drum for a while.

I think we have a better shot of winning both games in the '3' column and winning one of the three games from Wisky, Illinois, and Purdue to get to 20 W's then having to win 2 of those three. Who knows though, let's hope it just plays out well in our favor.

Winning two of those three road games just wont happen. Looks as if we will need to make a good run in the tournament or we are out.

Well good thing winning 2 of those 3 road games isnt what was said was needed. Re-read it.

If 5 teams are ahead of Gophers (even at 11-7 in Big 10), they still have work to do for NCAA bid.

I am saying

they will need to win two out of the three road games and they wont do it. Not etched in granite but most likely need to happen. They have dug themselves a big hole. I dont see them running the table at home.

Part 2 of this formula is important as there seems to be a real trend in from the selection committee emphasizing "quality" wins and winning two out of three in that group would provide this for the gophers.

Once they lose tonight is it pretty much over? Aside from a minor miracle?

so far tonite we are filling out the NIT checklist.........lets hope that changes...

No doubt the checklist took a big hit tonight. I have updated it.

It's one thing to lose, it's quite another when two players' body language appear to indicate they've checked out for the season (hint: both are sophomores, one starts & one doesn't). No way around it, last night was a discouraging performance. If that's the kind of pride the Gophers play with the rest of the season, we'll be lucky if we beat Indiana and Iowa. Seriously.

Kudos to Carter & Hoffarber. I saw consistent effort from those two guys.

Top Bottom