The General

Moonlight

Reaction score
Bobby Knight calls a great game. Great listening to his assessment of the game tonight:Texas vs KState.
Now, if we want to talk about coaches who seem hard to play for...

He really is fun to listen to, knows so much X and O wise. Don't think I've ever heard him say that a "shot-fake" is a bad thing though...

Agreed - amazing. I love to hear what he thinks about inbounds plays etc.
BTW - the coach hard to play for in this discussion isn't BK!

I think he's great calling games. I think he might have been stroking out during GameDay this past weekend, though. "Duke. Duke. Duke." They pay you for analysis, Bob, not just picks.

Bobby Knight calls a great game. Great listening to his assessment of the game tonight:Texas vs KState.
Now, if we want to talk about coaches who seem hard to play for...

Knight is fantastic to listen to. Incredible knowledge of the game. He had to be extremely tough to play for. However, I have never heard of a player coming from the Knight system that thought his system of play didn't work. Anyone that complained of him complained of his sometimes maniacal personality. I think you are making a reference to Tubby here. It seems with Tubby you get respect for the man - which is well deserved- but it seems that some players have great difficulty buying into his systems. If you are going to be dogged about your system then the key is recruiting the type of players who have the skill sets to succeed in what you do on both sides of the ball. This is the success of Bobby Knight and more recently, to a slightly lesser degree, the Grinch.

I suspect you have an very romanticized picture of what Bobby Knight's players thought over the years. You don't think players at Indiana or Texas Tech ever questioned the system? You don't think if Bobby's players had Twitter accounts they might have been critical on occasion?

I think Knight was a phenomenal coach; but in this day and age, I can't see him getting big recruits to play for him. He's of the old school that most Top 150 players don't want to play for. When you look at his teams, they were always good, but didn't have nearly as many NBA players as other successful schools.

It's not to say you need NBA-caliber players to be successful, but the game has really been moving that direction the past 10 years or so...and you're more likely to win than not with top talent.

I suspect you have an very romanticized picture of what Bobby Knight's players thought over the years. You don't think players at Indiana or Texas Tech ever questioned the system? You don't think if Bobby's players had Twitter accounts they might have been critical on occasion?

I think if they could have somehow anonymously twittered about him personally, I'd guess a number of them would say he was stark raving mad. Systems wise- I doubt it. He was one of those few coaches that had it nailed on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. He made sure that everyone he recruited could shoot the ball- except for the occasional guy that would just run around the court and set picks for other players.

Success tends to reduce the whining. If there was any whining about the system I would guess that would have come at Texas Tech where the winning came harder. His treatment of people was often deplorable and there's no excuse for that but in terms of pure coaching- amazing.

I think Knight was a phenomenal coach; but in this day and age, I can't see him getting big recruits to play for him.

You forgot to mention one of the reasons Knight can no longer get big time recruits is because he is a big time asshole. I love how GopherHolers are so willing to overlook somebody's personal failings because he is good at playing or coaching sports. The hypocrisy that exists on sports message boards knows no bounds. Everyone of you admirers of Bobby Knight needs to look at yourself in the mirror the next time you find yourself criticising somebody with the same personality flaws as Knight.

Knight also had a sense of humor...(paraphrased here)..."I am all in favor or equal treatment and opportunity for women's sports also. Then when the womens' coaches lose game after game, season after season, they get their asses fired too."

You forgot to mention one of the reasons Knight can no longer get big time recruits is because he is a big time asshole. I love how GopherHolers are so willing to overlook somebody's personal failings because he is good at playing or coaching sports. The hypocrisy that exists on sports message boards knows no bounds. Everyone of you admirers of Bobby Knight needs to look at yourself in the mirror the next time you find yourself criticising somebody with the same personality flaws as Knight.

He was a big time coach and a big time jerk. Both of the above. If there was a "Friend of Bobby" on board here this person could go wild with Knight stats and records. The list of what he did at Indiana is pretty amazing. But there's simply no excuse for the behavior he often exhibited and a lot of players simply would not play for him and nobody could blame them for that.

Knight is fantastic to listen to. Incredible knowledge of the game. He had to be extremely tough to play for. However, I have never heard of a player coming from the Knight system that thought his system of play didn't work. Anyone that complained of him complained of his sometimes maniacal personality. I think you are making a reference to Tubby here. It seems with Tubby you get respect for the man - which is well deserved- but it seems that some players have great difficulty buying into his systems. If you are going to be dogged about your system then the key is recruiting the type of players who have the skill sets to succeed in what you do on both sides of the ball. This is the success of Bobby Knight and more recently, to a slightly lesser degree, the Grinch.

bga, every chance that you get you have to stick it to Tubby. Have you forgotten that Knight kicked one of his players on the bench during a timeout. You might be too young to know this but Knight was not a saint. He was a good coach that has issues like any coaches in the country. Get of Tubby's back for once.

Go Gophers

He was a big time coach and a big time jerk. Both of the above. If there was a "Friend of Bobby" on board here this person could go wild with Knight stats and records. The list of what he did at Indiana is pretty amazing. But there's simply no excuse for the behavior he often exhibited and a lot of players simply would not play for him and nobody could blame them for that.

There's only one true FOB allowed in Gopher-land, Sid Hartman. :rolleyes: Anyway, Knight was a fantastic coach in his day but his day ended around 1992 if not before. There's a reason he coached another 16 years after 1992 and never made another Final Four. But he is awesome on TV, no doubt.

bga, every chance that you get you have to stick it to Tubby. Have you forgotten that Knight kicked one of his players on the bench during a timeout. You might be too young to know this but Knight was not a saint. He was a good coach that has issues like any coaches in the country. Get of Tubby's back for once.

Go Gophers

I've been unhappy with Tubby of late. Think he's done a poor job this year. I also think he's been a great coach and remains a great coach. Right now I think he could stand a dose of criticism and should show a bit of flexibility. Moonlight made an obvious reference to Tubby and I simply responded. I think Tubby can handle my venting. So sorry, but I'll say what I think on here and you can feel free to respond with the Real Truth version. I'm old enough to have been in the Barn to watch a younger Knight square off with Musselman. I couldn't stand Knight but he was a formidable foe.

I've been unhappy with Tubby of late. Think he's done a poor job this year. I also think he's been a great coach and remains a great coach. Right now I think he could stand a dose of criticism and should show a bit of flexibility. Moonlight made an obvious reference to Tubby and I simply responded. I think Tubby can handle my venting. So sorry, but I'll say what I think on here and you can feel free to respond with the Real Truth version. I'm old enough to have been in the Barn to watch a younger Knight square off with Musselman. I couldn't stand Knight but he was a formidable foe.

Fair enough but why do you have to turn every topic to a Tubby-bashing one. He has done the best for what he has had. I do criticize some of his moves too. For example, at the end of MSU game, I would have had Mav in there instead of Ralph. The difference is that I don't bash him every time there is a topic on this board.

Go Gophers

Fair enough but why do you have to turn every topic to a Tubby-bashing one. He has done the best for what he has had. I do criticize some of his moves too. For example, at the end of MSU game, I would have had Mav in there instead of Ralph. The difference is that I don't bash him every time there is a topic on this board.

Go Gophers

Again, I'm not going to lie- I'm unhappy with most of the things he's done with this squad and that goes back to pretty early in the season when we still had Nolen and Joseph. I just think this has been a poor job by him. The offense has looked horrid, the defense just gives up way, way too many 3's and the effort and enthusiasm on court has not been stellar. Any chance I've had to support what he's done, I've done it. After the Penn State game I started a thread saying that I thought it was a good showing that we could live with. I've posted that it's nuts to want him gone.

I'm not a "Fire Tubby" guy. Not at all. I want him around and want him to succeed in a big way. I'm not buying this "I've been doing the same thing for 30 years stuff and it's always worked" stuff. Sometimes you have to change things to work with what you have.

I was referring to Frank Martin, the Kansas State coach. Scary guy!

I too really enjoy listening to BK's game analysis, the guy is so knowledgable. Don't much like looking at him though. The guy has such a tortured countenance. No smile lines on his face.

Top Bottom