The Gehrig Scenario.

Jessica Alba Fan Club

Resident Patrick Bateman
Reaction score
I know this might be a huge reach, but something to post about for the fun of it. But could it be we've seen Gray play his last day at QB. Shortell looked amazing on that drive. The difference between the two are night at day. I like Gray a lot. But Shortell looked quicker on the trigger and got the ball in players hands. He made things happen. But obviously this is a heat of the moment post. Ah *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, wait...interception.

(for those not familiar with the Gehrig scenario. Lou Gehrig pinch hit for regular starter Wally Pip. Well then Lou played 2,130 consecutive games, Pip never played first for the Yankees again.)

Gray is a tremendous athlete and could have a very good professional career, but it will not be at QB. IMO, I think the best thing for Gray & the Gophers would be for him to switch back to WR. Shortell looked very poised and is a much better passer. I know it probably won't happen but I honestly believe it would be the best move MG could make for himself.

Shortell showed poise

We have a kid who can throw the ball. I love the adjustments and the aggressive defense.

Nonsense! Gray is the starter, if able. Shortell came in to pass and he did so well, but this is still Gray's team. if he's healthy he will look terrific the next three weeks. We don't need no stinkin' QB controversy. I'm really looking forward to Kill's comments and I expect the first one to be, "A loss is a loss. We aren't looking for moral victories."

Gray is the QB. He would have to get injured. All of us would hate to see that. Gray will have a very good year at QB. Shortell is a great backup. Redshirt is burned.

I'll put my 2¢ in - I think Gray played just fine as a passer. I was a little surprised at how tentative he was at running the ball (a lot of happy feet before taking a decisive step). I am looking forward to Shortell as our starting QB - in two years!

Go Gophers!

Gray made me nervous all day. Shortell looks like a QB

Gray was just settling down.

Everybody else should do the same.

Nonsense! Gray is the starter, if able. Shortell came in to pass and he did so well, but this is still Gray's team. if he's healthy he will look terrific the next three weeks. We don't need no stinkin' QB controversy. I'm really looking forward to Kill's comments and I expect the first one to be, "A loss is a loss. We aren't looking for moral victories."

Gray is a team leader, but he could lead just as well by being more productive as a WR (where I believe he would be more of an offensive threat). If Gray does make it to the NFL, he will not be a QB. Why not get yourself more ready for where you have a legitimate shot at a pro carrer? I love Gray's athletism and think he is a very good player, I just don't think he has the arm or passing acumen that Shortell has. To me, having Gray switch to WR is a win/win situation for MG & the Gophs. That being said, I will not be heartbroken to watch MG playing QB in the next game. Go Gophs, heckuva effort in the second half!

I also think shortell played well and made good decisions...eh the interception not included....perhaps there is a way to use them both.....I just love the decisiveness that shortell brought to the table, and the good throws made...that was a very difficult time (on the road, against a top 25 team, down two scores,...) for a freshman qb to come in and play, and he did well... I would love to see more of shortell

Mods, there are 2 threads on this. Could you combine them?

1 game and change the QB? that didn't take long.

Gray 7-12 for 94 yards and 0 Ints
Shortell 7-13 for 98 yards and 1 Int

Gray was just settling down.

Everybody else should do the same.

It's amazing that it was the true freshman Qb that looked poised and wasn't the one who looked like a deer in the headlights. Our passing game looked much better when Max went in. Gray is an amazing athlete but from what I have seen (last year, multiple scrimmages, today) he is not a good/consistent passing quarterback and likely never will be. Small sample size but still not encouraged at all by Gray's Qb ability. WR ability is another story.

I thought Gray played very well after the first couple of drives. His upside is just to high to keep him off the field at QB. He will continue to improve and be a fantastic QB for the Gophers for the next 2 years, and Shortell can have the time to mature without the pressure.

i'm kind of shocked to see people saying that this is gray's team. this is the university of minnesota and kill has been saying since he showed up that no one owns a position. if shortell is the better QB, then shortell should be the QB.

It's amazing that it was the true freshman Qb that looked poised and wasn't the one who looked like a deer in the headlights. Our passing game looked much better when Max went in.

Deja 'vu....people said the exact same thing about Weber and Gray when Gray led the Gophers to a TD at Ohio State in '09

They both do different things. Both need to play a little in every game. Gray needs time, be patient with him. Shortell is a perfect counter to Gray at QB. They do completely different things. The more they both play, the more teams have to prepare for both. We're likely not going bowling starting a true freshman the rest of the year. We have a chance with Gray, but we need to win next week.

Deep breath everyone. Shortell looked great, but let's remember this was Gray's first start too. It's also often easier to come in during the game and just play without thinking. Remember how good Sean Salisbury could look for a quarter or two for the Vikings? How as he as a starter. Remember how could T-Jack could look in those spots? I'm not knocking Shortell at all, but he's probably not as good nor Gray as shaky as they looked today.

I believe that Coach Kill likes to use several quarterbacks...

If healthy, I believe that Gray will be the starter. He takes some tremendous hits out there. He also can dish out some punishment and can give the running game a different dimension. Remember, he is just seeing action at qb for the first time in a long time.

I feel much better having a couple of qb's gaining experience with each having some different strengths.

But, always remember that football is a very physical game and both of these two qb's may need to have another guy stepping up to back them up. Who knows how many quarterbacks will see some playing time during these first four games? I wish them all well. All in all, I was certainly pleased with both quarterbacks for our Gophers today! Both have some real strengths, it would appear as well as some aspects of their games that only experience and playing time can help improve and build confidence. Good luck to ALL our quarterbacks!!!

I thought the Gophers played strong defensively in the second half. That always makes the offense and the quarterbacks look a little better and gives them more of a chance to be successful The defense bent a bit too much on those first and 25 situations, but I think some credit must be given to the USC offense for stepping up when needed. Supposedly USC has quite a few 2 star high school recruit fantasy players of their own on offense!!!!!!

; 0 )

They both do different things. Both need to play a little in every game. Gray needs time, be patient with him. Shortell is a perfect counter to Gray at QB. They do completely different things. The more they both play, the more teams have to prepare for both. We're likely not going bowling starting a true freshman the rest of the year. We have a chance with Gray, but we need to win next week.

I saw good things out of both QBs today.
(1) Gray didn't get a lot of passing playcalls, probably due to the opponent and some coaching/player jitters in the first half. When he got passing plays called, and had some time, he looked just fine.
(2) Gray has much more running ability, and that will play big as he gains experience.
(3) Shortell seems like the more talented passer, after that game, but remember, he came into a low-pressure situation for that first TD; and turned it over on the high-pressure possession. So, we don't really know too much about Shortell yet other than he looks like a good backup and a promising QB of the future.
(4) I really like the ability to have 2 very different QBs on a football team. When Shortell comes in, it's a different-looking game. That makes it tough for the defense to adjust, if and when Shortell does have to play. Gray will get a bit banged up this year, so it probably won't be the last we see of Max in real gametime situations.

In Queues defense, he didn't have a lot of pass plays called. I wouldn't give up on Gray. He threw pretty good. Maybe not NFL calliber, but well enough. Give the offense some time people. It's just the first game of the season. It's also the first time this coaching staff and players have been in a game together. A game that was on the road, two time zones away, and against a pretty darn good quarterback and offense.

We did okay. Time to regroup and to keep putting the pieces together.

Gray didn't get many pass plays called and he took a ton of hits.I'm not sure Shortell could have survived the game with the pressure SC brought especially early.Gray and Shortell actually have about the same experience at QB and they both will have excellent careers at Minesota.

Okay - play them both some until its obvious which is better suited to the position & offense - until then chill and enjoy.

In Queues defense, he didn't have a lot of pass plays called. I wouldn't give up on Gray. He threw pretty good. Maybe not NFL calliber, but well enough. Give the offense some time people. It's just the first game of the season. It's also the first time this coaching staff and players have been in a game together. A game that was on the road, two time zones away, and against a pretty darn good quarterback and offense.

We did okay. Time to regroup and to keep putting the pieces together.

All Q needs is a faster release - if he finds that he's stellar. Without it he's at risk of getting killed week in week out. Max better be ready.

Even with Grays running ability/threat, Shortell looked a lot better today. I don't think it should be out of the question for Q to move back to WR sometime this year.

Top Bottom