The Gazette: What if … Notre Dame turns Big Ten into Big 13?

It's a last resort and one we won't see for a while, IMO. ND is coddled too much and it makes no sense for them to join a conference from their perspective. Heck, their AD is invited to the playoff meetings to represent their interests, not some conference commissioner trying to represent the interests of a group of schools. That's power.

It's a last resort and one we won't see for a while, IMO. ND is coddled too much and it makes no sense for them to join a conference from their perspective. Heck, their AD is invited to the playoff meetings to represent their interests, not some conference commissioner trying to represent the interests of a group of schools. That's power.

It's makes sense for 2 main reasons: money and academic improvement. They stand to make a ton more money for athletics if they joined the B1G. And you can bet that the faculty would kill to have access to the CIC.

That said, their alum and donor base is wedded to the idea of being independent. Sure, they have "power" within the college system. But that hasn't gotten them anywhere for years. It just makes them feel special, but to the donors and alums that is a big deal. Every time their AD has even hinted at a move to a conference the backlash has been swift and severe.

The Demise of the Notre Dame Football Program

http://thexlog.com/201109050846/xtr...he-demise-of-the-notre-dame-football-program/

"Despite their national TV contract Notre Dame is no longer relevant. Should NBC decide not to renew their contract with them after 2015, you will find your grandchildren asking you who Notre Dame is and where they play. One has to wonder if they are starting to feel the pressure to have to join a conference. With all the big-time programs aligning to create super conferences, Notre Dame is at a real risk of totally falling off the map, something that just a generation ago no one would have imagined."

"This one time proud football institution appears to be too stubborn to change with the times. Should Notre Dame not have their NBC contract renewed and also attempt to remain independent, history will have people talking about the legendary football program that was Notre Dame like they talk about the dynasty that once was Army."

There is no way in hell we should let ND into our sacred conference. Those SOB's had their chance and we don't want and definitely don't need them.

There is no way in hell we should let ND into our sacred conference. Those SOB's had their chance and we don't want and definitely don't need them.

And yet I don't see a scenario where the B1G doesn't snap them up if they want to come in. Too much money. We can lament the impact of money but it's still real.

Their contract may end in the next few years, but I still see them getting a TV deal somewhere. It may not be the huge numbers one that they got at the time with NBC, but someone will bite, whether it's NBC renewing or re-doing their deal, or it being a part of the new NBCSports network. BYU got an ESPN deal. There's no reason to think that Notre Dame still won't get a deal somehow.

Frank The Tank's blog hit the nail on the head: it's an identity thing, not a money thing, regarding independence. And their alumni are so hell bent on maintaining that identity that they would withold donations to the point that it makes an impact. I think their completely dilusional, but they are what they are. But I wouldn't say they'd NEVER join a conference; the landscape of college football may force their hand.

Frank The Tank's blog hit the nail on the head: it's an identity thing, not a money thing, regarding independence. And their alumni are so hell bent on maintaining that identity that they would withold donations to the point that it makes an impact. I think their completely dilusional, but they are what they are. But I wouldn't say they'd NEVER join a conference; the landscape of college football may force their hand.

Ya, they are nuts. I checked a couple of ND blogs from time to time during the B1G's expansion push and they were straight up LIVID about the possibility of not being an independent.

College Football landscape is currently unstable. ND is doing the right thing by just staying put until a 100 yr decision can be made. You want to avoid the Big East fiasco

College Football landscape is currently unstable. ND is doing the right thing by just staying put until a 100 yr decision can be made. You want to avoid the Big East fiasco

The B1G isn't unstable. You move to the B1G and you just made a good 100 year decision.

Top Bottom