The Figi Report: Minn. vs UBC

figi

Reaction score
Gophers win 80 -62

I have to apoligize. I forgot to write down the final scoring figures for the Gophers. I did get the first half scoring. Sorry. I won't forget again.

The game was played in 4 10 min. quarters, with a 24 sec. shot clock. This didn't seem to bother the team.

The Court at the War Memorial Gym was pretty shabby. For those who feel Gophers ticket prices are to high, tonights game was $7 each( $5 for us old folks ). We had asked earlier if the seats were reserved and we were told they were not but, they would save 2 seats for us. When we arrived there were 2 seats with our names taped to them, right behind Tubby. Got to love those Cannuks. Tubby took time to talk to us.

UBC played a fast game. They try to pass and dribble drive to the basket. If the shot is there they take it. If not they kick it out for the 3 and they shoot the 3 quite well. Especially a guy named Whyte who got about 18 pts. To my surprize they rebounded with us and they seemed to get most of the loose balls. The score board never gave the actual rebounding numbers'

So. why did we kick their butt? Two words. Blocked Shots. Many of their shots were lost in the tall Minn. trees. Add offensive rebounds and put backs and that was the ball game.

The Gophers started Iverson Sampson Williams Hoffarber and Nolen. They were followed by Walker, Mbakwe, Hollins, Ahamisi and Joseph.

Who was the number one Gopher hero? Believe it or not BIG MO WALKER. He played back up to Iverson. He scored about 12 pts (more than Iverson and Sampson together). He got numerous rebounds on both ends of the floor and he added his share of blocked shots. He got lots of love from team mates. When he came to the bench I yelled "all right Mo". He gave us a big smile. He was a happy guy.

Next Nolen. He is the general and they were lost without him. Ahamisi is not ready to contribute. Nolen got about 10 points. 7 in the first half. He protected the ball. Added assists and steals. It would be a shame if anything happened to him and Devoe had to take over the point again.

Devoe did the scoring. 13 in the first half and about 19 over all. He is a scorer and he belongs at the 2 guard.

Hoffarber hit his first three and missed the rest. He added a number of rebounds and a couple of fast break baskets. When you are behind the bench it is obvious Tubby sends him in when things get out of control.

Mbakwe had a slow start but finished very strong. Some huge blocks and a final thunderous dunk. He was the back bone of the rebounding effort.

Sampson and Iverson did not play as well as Mbakwe and Walker. Like everyone else they rebounded and blocked shots, But, the offensive game wasn't there tonight. They also had troubles keeping a handle on the ball.

Hollins got 8 pts. He is very smooth and a good shooter. He is backing Rodney and still learning.

Rodney had a great game defensively. He rebounded well and he can block anyone. He had one monster block, pinning to ball to to back board on a fast break. On offense he is struggling. He missed all his jumpers. Some quite badly. He did get one big dunk and some free throws. He tweeked his ankle in the first half, but returned in the 2nd half and actually played better.

Eliason played sparingly but got approval from the coach for his defense and rebounding

I was sorry Dawson did not play. I wanted to see him. Maybe tomorrow night.

I had this whole thesis nearly done, hit the wrong key and lost it all. So this was the 2nd printing.

Intersting. CIS basketball is a 30 second clock, maybe tht is what they played? Is the gym on campus? I suspect so. Beautiful campus. Did you go down to Wreck beach? It is a nude beach below campus with a lot of weed for sale (it is BC).

Pricing sounds about right- of course there was only 991 people there (and I suspect that is more than regular season). When I was at U of Winnipeg in the late 80s, beer was $1 when the Wesmen (or Lady Wesmen- yes that is their real name) were winning and 3.25 when they were losing. It led to some very comical cheers and mad dashes to concessions.

Enjoy your time in BC- it is a great place to vacation.

Intersting. CIS basketball is a 30 second clock, maybe tht is what they played? Is the gym on campus? I suspect so. Beautiful campus. Did you go down to Wreck beach? It is a nude beach below campus with a lot of weed for sale (it is BC).

Pricing sounds about right- of course there was only 991 people there (and I suspect that is more than regular season). When I was at U of Winnipeg in the late 80s, beer was $1 when the Wesmen (or Lady Wesmen- yes that is their real name) were winning and 3.25 when they were losing. It led to some very comical cheers and mad dashes to concessions.

Missed the nude beach. Security at the game was nonexistant. Nobody taking tickets. I think a lot of people just walked in.

Tubby said the team visited the Capilano suspension bridge yesterday. It's a large rope walking bridge spanning a 230 foot gorge. Many people freeze up and can't cross it. Tubby said that now includes some of the players.

Tubby said the team is going to take the 2 hr. drive from Vancouver to Whistler, The former site of the Winter Olympics, today. We took the drive yesterday. It includes a panaramic view of the inlet from the bay, huge mountains covered with pines and glaciers, blue mountain lakes, clear mountain streams and what is now a tourist Mecca at Whistler. What a treat for the team members.

I'll try to answer any other questions some of you may have about the games.

Missed the nude beach. Security at the game was nonexistant. Nobody taking tickets. I think a lot of people just walked in.

Tubby said the team visited the Capilano suspension bridge yesterday. It's a large rope walking bridge spanning a 230 foot gorge. Many people freeze up and can't cross it. Tubby said that now includes some of the players.

Tubby said the team is going to take the 2 hr. drive from Vancouver to Whistler, The former site of the Winter Olympics, today. We took the drive yesterday. It includes a panaramic view of the inlet from the bay, huge mountains covered with pines and glaciers, blue mountain lakes, clear mountain streams and what is now a tourist Mecca at Whistler. What a treat for the team members.

Gophersports has video clip on the bridge visit.

Thank you for the enjoyable read. Always like the reports and impressions of knowledgeable fans even if most of my concentration is on the football team at this time of the year.

Awesome report, thanks Figi!!! I love the size and length we have on this team inside. We'll force many teams to rely on the outside shot this year.

We made the drive from Vancouver to Whistler a few months back and it's one of the most breathtaking drives I've ever been on.

Enjoy your time out West and any game analysis you have to time to share with us is greatly appreciated.

Go Gophers!!

See FIBA rules.

How about a bit more about Eliason?

Thanks figi... I was most encouraged about Austin Hollins play.

http://www.sportscanada.tv/index.php/sept2mbbvsminnesota - The game can be watched here if anone missed it.

Seriously why the hell does the thing fade to black right when Mbakwe does his dunk and then comes back immediately after? Trevor better give me another one tonight that they'll actually show :mad: .

For reference, the dunk is at about 33:20 in that clip.

Thanks for the write up figi, much appreciated.

+1 on the drive to Whistler. The views are simply amazing.

Oh my.. those two announcers are great!

"UBC defending like a couple of yappy Chihuahuas"

"Big block by M-BeeeekWAY... hahahahaha"

"Play this kid some minutes!"

"BIG MO WALKER"

On defense I thought we sagged into the lane a little too much against this team. They were able to drive and kick for lots of wide open three's. Fortunately they missed a lot of them. Part of our trouble staying with the guys on the perimeter was that this team basically plays about 4 guards. So our bigs had to play away from the basket against a motion offense.

Thanks for the report! I saw a little bit of the game, and I had pretty much the same thoughts. Mo's a load, but he looks like he has some nice balance and good touch inside. Of the freshmen, Hollins is by far the most ready to contribute, though, I think. Elliason definitely needs to redshirt. He's very skinny, and hasn't yet grown into his height, it seems. Still a few coordination issues. My opinion Maverick hasn't changed. People seem to be high on him, but I've not seen anything to suggest that he'll be anything more than a Hosea Crittendon style player at any point in the future. Devoe being more aggressive was nice to see. I wish Rodney would have worked on more moves, or that his ballhandling had improved more markedly. He still seems to be a two-handed dunker/jump shooter, with the occasional turnaround. I'd like to see him take it to the rack more, and even without great ballhandling, I think he'd be successful. I'm sometimes unsure of his body control in the air. That's a key for finishing in traffic, and it's why players like Grier/Westbrook were so good. They could take contact and still be in control and get off a good shot. Nolen has great body control in my opinion, but just can't really shoot, unfortunately. Anyway, it's great to see Gopher basketball, and it just makes me really anxious for the season to begin (mostly because it'll mean that Gopher football season is over, as last night's game was not encouraging in that regard).

Lol .. I read this write up from last night ..

http://www.montrealgazette.com/spor...s+making+mark+with+Gophers/3477810/story.html

For whatever reason I'm not able to copy and paste from the article.

Great comments on Mo Walker. Whew..he's 320.

That boy could stand to drop a pound or thirty. :pig:

I somehow think that Tubby will diet and work the weight off of him. I would expect a couple of extra gut busters to try to control it. He is in for a long season if his weight stays at that level.

Why is Devoe #34 in the clips? Some sort of tribute to Damien?

Why is Devoe #34 in the clips? Some sort of tribute to Damien?

From another thread!

panndder
Member Join Date: Nov 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honey I shrunk the Damien Johnson.

Top Bottom