The difference between basketball and the rest

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
I see a mentality in the U's basketball programs and it's boosters, on GH, that is different from other sports at the U.

Non-basketball mentality about sports: "How do we get kids to play [sport] at the University of Minnesota?" (serious sports scowl)

Basketball mentality: "Nobody wants to come play basketball at the U!!!" (drama sob)

Agree? Disagree?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thats garbage. Wonderful players have always come to the U. Honestly, the Gophers have had rosters since 1999 that Bo Ryan and several other coaches would be top 3 in the conference. The U has never hired great coaches. Of course the Gophers will never recruit like Kentucky or Duke but there are tons of teams that beat those schools, even schools that have won Dukes conference from them by being put together well and playing efficient offense, like top 10 in the country and lockdown defense. Ryan did things like that with 3 abd some 4 star players, seldom 5 stars.

I've never seen this mentality on here nor heard it from any of my fellow basketball fans. If anything they have felt that way about football not basketball.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Can we just ban this idiot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see a mentality in the U's basketball programs and it's boosters, on GH, that is different from other sports at the U.

Non-basketball mentality about sports: "How do we get kids to play [sport] at the University of Minnesota?" (serious sports scowl)

Basketball mentality: "Nobody wants to come play basketball at the U!!!" (drama sob)

Agree? Disagree?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It would be a strange mentality to have, considering how well basketball recruiting has been going for the past few years. At least one 4 star recruit in the 15, 16, 17, and 18 classes. Hell, the basketball team has probably gotten more 4 star recruits the past few years than the football team has.

Maybe you're referring to the local media thumbing their noses at the basketball team for not having any in-state recruits for 2017, which I agree is kind of dumb. We still got what appears to be a solid 2017 class which included one of our highest rated out of state commits ever.

Or maybe you're referring to the fact that we acknowledge that most 5-star recruits coming out of Minnesota have more enticing options than the local team, and they are probably going to take one of those options, as most elite recruits do, and so we have to pick our battles as to which ones we invest our time into. But this is true of football too, and hockey is an entirely different animal, and I personally don't know anything about our recruiting in any other sport.

It seems like you're trying to criticize fans for throwing their hands up and just accepting that our basketball program will always recruit poorly and there is nothing to be done about it. Except I don't see anyone saying this, and I don't know why they would, because recruiting has been going quite well.

one of the worst original posts i've ever seen.

It would be a strange mentality to have, considering how well basketball recruiting has been going for the past few years. At least one 4 star recruit in the 15, 16, 17, and 18 classes. Hell, the basketball team has probably gotten more 4 star recruits the past few years than the football team has.

Maybe you're referring to the local media thumbing their noses at the basketball team for not having any in-state recruits for 2017, which I agree is kind of dumb. We still got what appears to be a solid 2017 class which included one of our highest rated out of state commits ever.

Or maybe you're referring to the fact that we acknowledge that most 5-star recruits coming out of Minnesota have more enticing options than the local team, and they are probably going to take one of those options, as most elite recruits do, and so we have to pick our battles as to which ones we invest our time into. But this is true of football too, and hockey is an entirely different animal, and I personally don't know anything about our recruiting in any other sport.

It seems like you're trying to criticize fans for throwing their hands up and just accepting that our basketball program will always recruit poorly and there is nothing to be done about it. Except I don't see anyone saying this, and I don't know why they would, because recruiting has been going quite well.
You have a sound take on it. It could be the media since they can be the wall of noise about sports in this town. It still doesn't change perceptions.

The media in this town has rarely understood the differences between college and professional sports. Sports "reporters" have regularly not understood much beyond wins and losses.... and inappropriate off-the-field behavior.

These misunderstandings have led to "short-handing" of terms being the same "Drafting players" is the same as "recruiting players" is the most memorable. We know there are differences, but no one articulates them.

The biggest problem is that players at all levels turn to the media for first impressions. So many of those impressions which they hear end up being broad generalizations from a media.

Having actual discussions helps.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom