The cynics will have a field day with this one

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Brewster is going to take a hit for the Brock situation, like it or not. We're going to have to hear a lot of the same questions about recruiting "borderline" players and lowering standards.

Not to mention the on-the-field effect it may have next season.

All around, this situation sucks.

No one knows what went into this yet. You cant just assume he is a borderline student. Kids have issues and maybe something is going on with him outside of the classroom.

You cant just assume he is a borderline student.

Agreed, but people will certainly assume in this case, especially when Youngblood's story says "apparently for academic reasons."

I will not rip a coach including Brewster because he has a few players who leave the program, whether it be academics or other issues. Let's be honest there aren't many rhodes scholars out there who run a 4.3 40 yard dash. Now I do think a coach bares some responsibility for holding his players accountable for attending class, the athletes need to bare the majority of it themselves. However, if we ever become a bob Huggins type program(which we are not) where none of your players ever graduate then I would have issues with that as it is evident then that winning is being placed as the only priority by a coach.

yes he prob will get ripped by the same five Mason fans out there, but every team loses kids cuz of various reasons.

but every team loses kids cuz of various reasons.

Completely agree. Brew cannot live with the students and make sure they do their homework or attend class.

Things like this happen with every school and at times to some of their better players.

Simply treat it as a little speed bump and move along please!

kids flunk out all the time. i think the first year attrition rate for the U is 22%. unless the attrition rate for the football team is massively higher, then this shouldn't be an issue.

kids flunk out all the time. i think the first year attrition rate for the U is 22%. unless the attrition rate for the football team is massively higher, then this shouldn't be an issue.

I agree.

While I didn't flunk out or anything I had a really tough first semester at the U. Even though I was an A & B student in HS I got all C's. It was a tough adjustment for me because of the freedoms I enjoyed being away from home, and home was only 20 minutes away. I also didn't have the responsibilities of being a student-athlete. Let's face it, college is a major adjustment no matter how good a student you were in HS.

I agree.

While I didn't flunk out or anything I had a really tough first semester at the U. Even though I was an A & B student in HS I got all C's. It was a tough adjustment for me because of the freedoms I enjoyed being away from home, and home was only 20 minutes away. I also didn't have the responsibilities of being a student-athlete. Let's face it, college is a major adjustment no matter how good a student you were in HS.

Haha, you sound like me. My freshman year was a serious RE-AL-I-TY CHECK lol.

Exactly which guys in the 2008 class have actually shown themselves to be Big Ten players? Doesn't this mean we are down to four of those now?

Exactly which guys in the 2008 class have actually shown themselves to be Big Ten players? Doesn't this mean we are down to four of those now?

Pretty much my sentiment as well. Sure plenty of programs have issues in retaining student athletes but this is especially vexing because he was one of the few that actually looked like he belonged in a Big 10 uniform fairly consistently. This news is only partially offset by getting the kid from Wisconsin today.

I remember Freshman Orientation

A quick speech by some mucky muck, but when he said look around 1 in five of you will graduate. It was a stat I could not relate to but I had friends, classmates, and teamates who left school. All for different reasons. When this issue comes up, or you see 5 seniors trot out on Senior Day, does anyone think what happened to those other guys in that 25 man recruiting class? I never trusted the number from the U when it comes to the graduation rates of all enrollees. And once enrolled do they do they graduate within 5 years.

And the bottom line here is Coach Brewster expects him back.

What are you talking about? Most of the JCs contributed but not a lot of frosh play their first year so how are they supposed to "show themselves to be Big Ten players?" Just to name a few from the 2008 class that did show themselves to be Big Ten players: Brock, Lawrence, Eskridge, Salamon, Simmons, Green, Brodrick Smith, Stoudermire. That's 8 right there. Most other guys haven't even had a chance to show what they can do yet, and Maresh, Reeves, and Gray haven't even suited up yet. You might want to be a little patient.

It can't work out with every player and it won't. For crying out loud, look at Gary Russell. All the talent in the world, but couldn't care less about the "student" in student athlete. And he's probably going to get a Super Bowl ring.

This sucks

because he is a good football player, and we cannot afford to lose the good players to anything but injury's.

Top Bottom