The Curse of the M.

Reaction score
If Helmet Project is to be believed, the Gophers first put the block M on their helmet for the 1968 season, the year following their last share of the Big Ten championship.

Clearly, placing an M on the helmet ushered in an era of futility. I hope our new coach realizes this and returns the Gophers to the numbered helmets they wore the last time they tasted success.

+ 1 with an endless supply of zeros...

The white helmets work with numbers on the side and maroon and gold stripe down the center... Classic!

Or, maybe the need to have a block-M helmet coincided with the era that had college football essentially turning into a minor-league for the NFL instead of the amateur competition it was in the past.

I watched the game Saturday with a life long Cubs fan and as soon as soon as Tinsley dropped that ball he looked at me and said "this is just like watching the Cubs. Just when you think you've seen it all, they do something you've never seen before." I don't know about the curse of the M, but there definitely seems to be some bad ju-ju around this program.

I just hope the world returns to normal: a world where the fans care about the uniforms more than the coaching staff does.

But yeah, I think going to the white helmets with the numbers would be an excellent, excellent decision. New coach, new conference, new scheduling, (relatively) new stadium.... new (throwback) uniforms. We already have the white helmets. Now put some different stickers on 'em.

Hahahaha. This is funny. Anyone who believes in curses has a loser's mentality. The Gophers football woes have nothing to do with what is on the helmets or what the uniforms look like. But thanks for the laugh today. I really appreciate it. LOLOLOLOL.....

I have a helmet from my in-laws. It is yellow with a white stripe piped with maroon. It has a Maroon M on the side and a number 51 on the back. I have seen pictures on the Internet of the gophers using this helmet in the seventies with their away jerseys. A sharpie on the inside says "Minor". It is well used. Does anyone have any idea what service dates these helmets were used? I am thinking Stoll era but I don't know. There is another long name written in there that is crossed out. It is a Riddell brand suspension helmet. It might have some wolverine blue on it from contact. I will most likely sell it on eBay for my Mother-in-law.

Top Bottom