The Conference Schedule This Year Was Not Easier Than 1999 or 2003

BigTenGuy

Reaction score
1999, 2003, 2014 and 2016 are the last 4 times the Gophers have won 5 conference games in a season. For those that think this year isn't a substantial accomplishment because the Gophers had an easy conference schedule, the same could be said of 1999 and 2003. There is scant difference between 1999, 2003 & 2016 when measured against the Big Ten foes the Gophers beat, lost to and did not play. But while we hear all the time about how Tracy Claeys had the easy conference schedule this year, I don't recall ever hearing the same thing said about Mase's 2 big years. Perhaps I have forgotten the criticism of the easy Big Ten schedules for Mase’s 2 big seasons.

Here is some info on conference records in 1999, 2003 and 2016 (in order).

Conference winning percentage of the Big Ten teams the Gophers beat: 32.5%; 25%; and 24.4%
# of Big Ten teams the Gophers beat with winning conference record: 1; 0; and 1

Conference winning percentage of the Big Ten teams the Gophers lost to: 58.3%; 70.8% and 75%
# of Big Ten teams Gophers lost to with winning conference record: 1; 3; and 4

Conference winning percentage of the Big Ten teams the Gophers did not get to play: 75%; 75%; and 55.6%
# of Big Ten teams the Gophers did not play with winning conference record: 2; 2; and 2
# of Big Ten teams the Gophers did not play with losing conference record: 0; 0; and 2
Final/current rankings of the Big Ten teams the Gophers didn't play in conference: (#5 & #7); (#4 & # 18);
(#2, # 5, NR & NR)

Finally, I tried to get these numbers right, but open to correction if someone finds a mistake.

The chief difference, in my opinion - in 1999 and 2003 we beat helmet schools/rivals. 1999 we beat Penn State and Iowa, 2003 we beat Penn State and Wisconsin. From a general public perception standpoint, that's what moves the needle from a mediocre to a good/great season.

The chief difference, in my opinion - in 1999 and 2003 we beat helmet schools/rivals. 1999 we beat Penn State and Iowa, 2003 we beat Penn State and Wisconsin. From a general public perception standpoint, that's what moves the needle from a mediocre to a good/great season.

Fair points, especially about Penn State in 1999, but the Iowa victory in 1999 was over an 0-8 Iowa team (and the game was close), and the 2003 victory was over a 4-4 Wisconsin team that went 7-6 overall. Both of those teams were worse than any Iowa or Wisconsin team that Claeys got to coach against. Also, the teams the Gophers beat in 2003 finished 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th & 11th, in other words, the bottom five teams at the time.

Not to mention the Gophers played their three toughest conference games on the road. I suspect there was similar angst in 2003 after getting water boarded at Iowa in the season finale.

I think the problem the 2016 Gophers had is they were a very ugly offensive football team. Even when they were winning, they looked lousy. Seriously, every loss was amazingly frustrating as they could have won (Wisconsin -4 picks, Iowa -1 long run, Penn State in a number of ways, and Nebraska).

As big a problem were the wins, how many wins were the fan base truly happy afterward? By my count? 1. Northwestern.

Maryland and Illinois probably also ok but with no QB production, then angst against Purdue and close to meltdown against Rutgers.

It was decent year record wise but it was an awful year to be a fan. Just not entertaining football. The 2003 team was very fun to watch.

1999, 2003, 2014 and 2016 are the last 4 times the Gophers have won 5 conference games in a season. For those that think this year isn't a substantial accomplishment because the Gophers had an easy conference schedule, the same could be said of 1999 and 2003. There is scant difference between 1999, 2003 & 2016 when measured against the Big Ten foes the Gophers beat, lost to and did not play. But while we hear all the time about how Tracy Claeys had the easy conference schedule this year, I don't recall ever hearing the same thing said about Mase's 2 big years. Perhaps I have forgotten the criticism of the easy Big Ten schedules for Mase’s 2 big seasons.

Here is some info on conference records in 1999, 2003 and 2016 (in order).

Conference winning percentage of the Big Ten teams the Gophers beat: 32.5%; 25%; and 24.4%
# of Big Ten teams the Gophers beat with winning conference record: 1; 0; and 1

Conference winning percentage of the Big Ten teams the Gophers lost to: 58.3%; 70.8% and 75%
# of Big Ten teams Gophers lost to with winning conference record: 1; 3; and 4

Conference winning percentage of the Big Ten teams the Gophers did not get to play: 75%; 75%; and 55.6%
# of Big Ten teams the Gophers did not play with winning conference record: 2; 2; and 2
# of Big Ten teams the Gophers did not play with losing conference record: 0; 0; and 2
Final/current rankings of the Big Ten teams the Gophers didn't play in conference: (#5 & #7); (#4 & # 18);
(#2, # 5, NR & NR)

Finally, I tried to get these numbers right, but open to correction if someone finds a mistake.

We had 9 tries this year. Only 8 then. Big Difference.

Not to mention the Gophers played their three toughest conference games on the road. I suspect there was similar angst in 2003 after getting water boarded at Iowa in the season finale.

I think the problem the 2016 Gophers had is they were a very ugly offensive football team. Even when they were winning, they looked lousy. Seriously, every loss was amazingly frustrating as they could have won (Wisconsin -4 picks, Iowa -1 long run, Penn State in a number of ways, and Nebraska).

As big a problem were the wins, how many wins were the fan base truly happy afterward? By my count? 1. Northwestern.

Maryland and Illinois probably also ok but with no QB production, then angst against Purdue and close to meltdown against Rutgers.

It was decent year record wise but it was an awful year to be a fan. Just not entertaining football. The 2003 team was very fun to watch.

Yes indeed. They won those games back in 2003 with a very good Offense. This year's team won with Defense. People always talk about how a great Defense is the most important thing, but a great Offense is certainly more entertaining.

We had 9 tries this year. Only 8 then. Big Difference.

Disagree. The big difference between 2016 and 2003 and 1999 was on the loss side. This year, the Gophers lost to 4 teams this year with a .750 conference winning percentage, whereas, for example, the 2003 Gophers lost to 3 teams with a lower winning percentage. Both teams won 5 conference games against teams with similar winning percentages. I would agree with you if, for example, the 2003 team had won 5 games against teams with a .450 conference winning percentage. That would be much better, but that is not what happened.

Terrible year for fans.

Very few fun moments.

Can you imagine anybody getting interested in Gopher football simply for good entertainment? HA.

Top Bottom