The Big Ten CCG Location

Goldmember

Reaction score
Looks like interest in attending this game is diminishing.

The charm of the entertainment mecca known as Indianapolis must have already worn-off on Badger fans (who know their team didn't earn the right to play in this game anyway). And Nebraska fans, at 10-hours, are just too far away. Let's face it.... Indy is a horrible place for the Big Ten CCG to be every year.

What a perfect year this would have been to host the Big Ten CCG at the Metrodome. If only someone would have bothered to lobby the Big Ten to host.

Yeah, let's have the game at the farthest west end of the conference. Maybe we should wait to schedule the game a week ahead of play, so that we know who's in it, like at Stanford. Oh, and let's have it in a 30-year old sports toilet. Brilliant.

Indy is in the conference middle, it's a dome, and it's new(er). Like anything else, one or two years does not make a trend. It takes time for a fan to make decisions on whether to go to the CG, a bowl game, or both.

It's not about sold out, it's about TV income. This game will draw plenty of viewers, plenty of advertising, and plenty of money. Like the NFL, ticket sales are irrelevant.

Next year, when it's OSU vs. Michigan II, the game will likely be sold out.

The game will never be played in Minneapolis. Never.

Especially since the BBall tourney is there every year as well (and also for women's). It's just overkill on a city that isn't seen as a tourist hotspot or even one known for great food and regular activities. I still think it should rotate around between big NFL sites, even if it means it's sightly farther geographically from some edge schools (like our own). Big schools like OSU, Mich, and Nebraska will fill their half no matter where (I do believe the list price for a CCG is quite high which would explain the Nebraska returns), and everyone else will be dependent on the season the team had before proximity. Wisconsin is pretty close to Indy (compared to many other, further schools) but the way their team played this year is having the effect on ticket sales. I think outdoor venues are just fine for the first Saturday in December (or last in November) if the kickoff is at 2:30 CST. Chicago, Green Bay, Indy, Ford Field, even Pittsburgh would all be good sites and give different flavors for the event.

Indoors......Indy, Detroit or Minny.....it will happen.

The schools returned so many tickets because you can get the tickets cheaper than face value and the fans know that. Why would you pay face value from the university if you can get them for less via other outlets.

The schools returned so many tickets because you can get the tickets cheaper than face value and the fans know that. Why would you pay face value from the university if you can get them for less via other outlets.

Exactly.

Especially since the BBall tourney is there every year as well (and also for women's). It's just overkill on a city that isn't seen as a tourist hotspot or even one known for great food and regular activities. I still think it should rotate around between big NFL sites, even if it means it's sightly farther geographically from some edge schools (like our own). Big schools like OSU, Mich, and Nebraska will fill their half no matter where (I do believe the list price for a CCG is quite high which would explain the Nebraska returns), and everyone else will be dependent on the season the team had before proximity. Wisconsin is pretty close to Indy (compared to many other, further schools) but the way their team played this year is having the effect on ticket sales. I think outdoor venues are just fine for the first Saturday in December (or last in November) if the kickoff is at 2:30 CST. Chicago, Green Bay, Indy, Ford Field, even Pittsburgh would all be good sites and give different flavors for the event.

Overkill is right. At the very least, basketball should rotate between Indy, Chicago, and Detroit. Then it's a bigger deal for the locals because it only happens once every three years.

I'd like to see football in Detroit and Chicago as well but doubt an outdoor stadium will happen. Too much of a chance that you'll get an attended game similar to what Stanford had last night in the PAC 12 championship.

It's not about sold out, it's about TV income. This game will draw plenty of viewers, plenty of advertising, and plenty of money. Like the NFL, ticket sales are irrelevant.

Oh yeah, I forgot... television cameras only work inside the city of Indianapolis. And they especially don't work in the Metrodome.

This game sells out in minutes in Minneapolis regardless of when it is announced. And then we don't have to suffer through SEC states joking about empty seats and $10 tickets. Oh yeah, we could learn something from the SEC. 18 years of CCG sellouts in an antiquated dome near a major airport on the far East side of the conference. That would never work, right? I don't get your support of The Big Ten trying (and failing) to reinvent the wheel. Indy was a miserable failure. Move on. This game needs to involve more suitable host cities in a rotation... starting last week.

The just showed the first images of the stadium. EMPTY.

Looks like interest in attending this game is diminishing.

The charm of the entertainment mecca known as Indianapolis must have already worn-off on Badger fans (who know their team didn't earn the right to play in this game anyway). And Nebraska fans, at 10-hours, are just too far away. Let's face it.... Indy is a horrible place for the Big Ten CCG to be every year.

What a perfect year this would have been to host the Big Ten CCG at the Metrodome. If only someone would have bothered to lobby the Big Ten to host.

Lack of interest likely has more to do with a 4-4 3rd place finisher playing in the title game than location. If it was Ohio State looking to beat #12 Nebraska and potentially playing to jump up and make the national title game it'd be an easy sellout no matter where they played it

Way too much red in that stadium for my liking. Yuck!

Obviously not good attendance.

Indianapolis is the best place for it regardless, we can't have it outside anywhere in the footprint realistically.

This game would have a lot more interest if we didn't have a 4 loss team in it.

Chicago, Green Bay, Indy, Ford Field, even Pittsburgh would all be good sites and give different flavors for the event.

The game will never, ever, never be played outdoors. Never. It will never be in Minnesota. Never, ever. Indy and Detroit will be the only two spots with the current B1G4 line up. Don't fool yourself--the rest of the B1G4 and the rest of the country don't look at the Twin Cities any differently than they look at Indy, Des Moines, or Milwaukee. No chance the game is ever here.

This game sells out in minutes in Minneapolis regardless of when it is announced.

How? Why? People don't even support the home team. I don't buy it for a second. Maybe if Nebraska or the Buttgers are involved (Iowa will not play in our lifetime). If it's OSU and one of the Michigans? Not a chance. NW, Ill, or Ind? Not a chance. Maryland or Rutgers? Not a chance. Purdue or Penn State? Not a chance. If the Gophers are in the game? Only chance.

The game will never, ever, never be played outdoors. Never. It will never be in Minnesota. Never, ever. Indy and Detroit will be the only two spots with the current B1G4 line up. Don't fool yourself--the rest of the B1G4 and the rest of the country don't look at the Twin Cities any differently than they look at Indy, Des Moines, or Milwaukee. No chance the game is ever here.

Ahhhh, nice. Another Minnesotan who is anxious to tell us about how there are people in other places who don't think much of Minnesota. Never heard this one before. Please, enligten me with your uniquely cosmopoltan view of the world.

The Twin Cities is a Top 20 metropolitan market. People who make descisions for a living are aware of this.

The half-full stadium I am looking at is an embarassment to the conference. However, if I am not mistaken, I think John Mellencamp lives somewhere near Indianapolis.

Oh yeah, I forgot... television cameras only work inside the city of Indianapolis. And they especially don't work in the Metrodome.

This game sells out in minutes in Minneapolis regardless of when it is announced. And then we don't have to suffer through SEC states joking about empty seats and $10 tickets. Oh yeah, we could learn something from the SEC. 18 years of CCG sellouts in an antiquated dome near a major airport on the far East side of the conference. That would never work, right? I don't get your support of The Big Ten trying (and failing) to reinvent the wheel. Indy was a miserable failure. Move on. This game needs to involve more suitable host cities in a rotation... starting last week.

They can't even sellout TCF for Gopher games, how do you expect to sell out the B1G Champ game at the Dome?

They can't even sellout TCF for Gopher games,
how do you expect to sell out the B1G Champ game at the Dome?

Boiler has no clue how many neutral fans that would go to this game. The amount of Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin fans that live in the cities is ridiculous. Plenty of fans are within a few hour drive. College fans from all over the country live here. It would be much better attended than Minneapolis.

Ahhhh, nice. Another Minnesotan who is anxious to tell us about how there are people in other places who don't think much of Minnesota. Never heard this one before. Please, enligten me with your uniquely cosmopoltan view of the world.

The Twin Cities is a Top 20 metropolitan market. People who make descisions for a living are aware of this.

The half-full stadium I am looking at is an embarassment to the conference. However, if I am not mistaken, I think John Mellencamp lives somewhere near Indianapolis.

The Metrodome is a dump, the B1G would look like a complete joke to have it there.

The Georgia Dome just had a 300 million dollar renovation done less than 5 years ago. Minnesota had to have the roof fall in on the Dome for them to get any money to fix it.

Indianapolis is the best place to have the game for the time being, Lucas Oil is a fantastic venue.

And if you gotta hear it again I'll say it. No one outside Minnesota thinks that Minneapolis is any different than Indianapolis. Neither are terribly exciting.

Boiler has no clue how many neutral fans that would go to this game. The amount of Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin fans that live in the cities is ridiculous. Plenty of fans are within a few hour drive. College fans from all over the country live here. It would be much better attended than Minneapolis.

If the game were at the future dome, I'd be there regardless of who is playing. I will also be wherever the game is when the gophers make it.

But I don't know that it would be sold out here on any given year.

I don't think you could guarantee a sell out anywhere unless you made the host city alternate between the leaders & legends champs each year. But then it wouldn't be a neutral site game.

I beg to differ. Within a 4 hour drive of Indy are Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Louisville, Cincinnati, Milwaukee. Madison is just over 4 hours. Plus, plenty of Big Ten alumni live in the Indianapolis area.

Within a 4 hour drive of Minneapolis is...........Madison and Des Moines?

Look, I'm from Minneapolis and have lived here all my life except for my college years. I love this city. My wife and I are very involved in the community and my wife has political aspirations in Minneapolis. I don't have an axe to grind here - just saying that Indy is a much better venue than Minneapolis for this game.

The 35,000 fans there beg to differ. The new dome would put in over 50,000 and Detroit would probably put in more at Ford Field. There are basically no neutral fans at this game. If the Bears would just get field turf they could play this game during the day. Chicago is the hub for the B1G like Atlanta is for the SEC.

I beg to differ. Within a 4 hour drive of Indy are
Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Louisville, Cincinnati, Milwaukee. Madison is just over 4 hours. Plus, plenty of Big Ten alumni live in the Indianapolis area.

Within a 4 hour drive of Minneapolis is...........Madison and Des Moines?

Look, I'm from Minneapolis and have lived here all my life except for my college years. I love this city. My wife and I are very involved in the community and my wife has political aspirations in Minneapolis. I don't have an axe to grind here - just saying that Indy is a much better venue than Minneapolis for this game.

I'd like to see it rotate sites as well. I agree that probably will be indoors (not saying it should be, but probably will be). So some sort of rotation with Indy, Detroit, MPLS (when new Vikings stadium is done). Are there other indoor venues in the B1G footprint? Keeping it fresh would keep interest and tickets sales high locally. Just my $0.02

Delusion, pure delusion, spelling aside. MSP is #16, and on the drop. Minnesota will be out of the Top 20 in 2020. San Diego, Denver, Tampa, and likely Orlando and Las Vegas will shoot on by. Population is also irrelevant if your growth is based on immigration and per capita government aid.

I have lived here my whole life and have seen the era of our "peak" pass us by. You can possibly point to something different, but I doubt it. The population and economic engine in this area has peaked and will not be sustained. NW Airlines is gone. Target and 3M will follow. It is without a doubt.

That rant aside, Indy is simply centrally located and offers a superior stadium. We are not that better as a destination for the traveling fan. No one is going to the Guthrie or the Minnesota Orchestra while in town.

I love our Gophers. I would never in 1000 years watch any two other teams play in a CG.

There is not a "neutral" fan in Nebraska, Iowa, or Wisconsin that would come here to see OSU vs. Michigan State. Not one.

Delusion, pure delusion, spelling aside. MSP is #16, and on the drop. Minnesota will be out of the Top 20 in 2020. San Diego, Denver, Tampa, and likely Orlando and Las Vegas will shoot on by. Population is also irrelevant if your growth is based on immigration and per capita government aid.

I have lived here my whole life and have seen the era of our "peak" pass us by. You can possibly point to something different, but I doubt it. The population and economic engine in this area has peaked and will not be sustained. NW Airlines is gone. Target and 3M will follow. It is without a doubt.

That rant aside, Indy is simply centrally located and offers a superior stadium. We are not that better as a destination for the traveling fan. No one is going to the Guthrie or the Minnesota Orchestra while in town.

I love our Gophers. I would never in 1000 years watch any two other teams play in a CG.

There is not a "neutral" fan in Nebraska, Iowa, or Wisconsin that would come here to see OSU vs. Michigan State. Not one.

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but just curious why you think fans from this area wouldn't to go the game. I know it's apples to oranges, but I've been to multiple NCAA basketball tournaments at the Dome that were filled (I'm talking NCAA 1st/2nd rounds and Regional Finals, not the Final Four). I get that bball holds less than fball, but I still think the market is there.

Nobody would go to the Guthrie but they do go the Mall of America. Thousands of neutral fans would go. Indianapolis is not an easy flight either. Chicago, Minneapolis and Detroit are much better options.

Delaney will probably have this game in Vienna or Rio De Janeiro by 2016.

A problem many of the conference championship games have had to face is getting fans to travel on often very short notice. It's not like a regular road trip that can be planned months in advance or even a bowl, which gives about a month to plan. Nebraska didn't have its spot in the title game clinched until last weekend. The expense and logistics make that trip a tough one. Add to that the possibility of some Cornhusker fans viewing the Rose Bowl as a foregone conclusion and deciding to skip Indy in order to conserve money for the Pasadena trip. As for the locals, Indiana has been bad for ages and Purdue has had big ups and downs. There's not much enthusiasm for college football there to the extent that locals will get hyped over seeing the #14 team against an unranked team that backed in. Had Ohio State been eligible, things might be different in the ticket sales department.

Indianapolis' proximity to Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Eastern Wisconsin gives it a real edge. The stadium is new and modern. It's located next to the convention center. It has more hotels in about a half dozen square blocks than Ford Field in Detroit does and likely the Metrodome/New Vikings Stadium as well. Holding the football title game and basketball tourney very often makes sense. However, I agree that every year is overkill and serves to make what ought to be a special event old hat much more quickly.

Delaney will probably have this game in Vienna or Rio De Janeiro by 2016.

What about the B10 championship in Washington DC or at the meadowlands now that rutgers and maryland are in the big ten? A little bit nicer weather.

The Big Ten Champ game will be in Mn at the new Vike stadium one day. Guaranteed.

Top Bottom