The Big 10/18: How Will It Shake Out?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Let’s take on the impossible. … projecting an 18-team monstrosity, with best player and/or other guy to watch.

NCAA
1 Purdue: Braden Smith, Cam Heide
2 Indiana: Malik Reneau, Oumar Ballo
3 UCLA: Lazar Stefanovic, Kobe Johnson
4 Michigan: Roddy Gayle Jr., Danny Wolf
5 MSU: Xavier Booker, Frankie Fidler
6 Nebraska: Brice Williams, Rollie Worster
7 OSU: Bruce Thornton, Meechie Johnson
8 Illinois: Kylan Boswell, Tre White
9 Maryland: Ja’Kobi Gillespie, Derik Queen

Bubble Range
10 Rutgers: Ace Bailey, Dylan Harper
11 USC: Desmond Claude, Saint Thomas
12 Wisconsin: Steven Crowl, John Blackwell

The Rest
13 Iowa: Payton Sandfort, Owen Freeman
14 Oregon: Jackson Shelstad, Ra’Heim Moss
15 Penn State: Ace Baldwin Jr., Zach Hicks
16 Northwestern: Brooks Barnhizer, Nick Martinelli
17 Minnesota: Dawson Garcia, Lu’Cye Patterson
18 Washington: Great Osobor, D.J. Davis

Last edited:

And yes, I’m high on Nebraska even though Huskers lost Rienk Mast to season-ending injury. Will be a team of many interchangeable parts.

Conversely, I had a hard time putting Northwestern that low because I like Barnhizer/Martinelli/Ty Berry/Matthew Nicholson experience, but have a feeling first season of post-Boo Buie era will present challenges.

Last edited:

And yes, I’m high on Nebraska even though Huskers lost Rienk Mast to season-ending injury. Will be a team of many interchangeable parts.

Conversely, I had a hard time putting Northwestern that low because I like Barnhizer/Martinelli/Ty Berry/Matthew Nicholson experience, but have a feeling first season of post-Boo Buie era will present challenges.
Nebraska also lost Tominaga to graduation, did they not? I don’t know much about the replacements, but he was THE difference for them - the player at the top of the scouting report.

I don't have a problem with your Nebraska prediction. The one I don't quite feel is people (not just you) being higher than I would have thought on Rutgers. They do have a couple of very highly ranked freshmen but highly touted freshmen usually aren't big forces right out the gate in this conference. They had some significant transfer losses and I'd call the replacements all right but nothing special.

Last edited:

I have not researched it pretty much at all but I think the coaches at Washington and Oregon move them into the bubble category for me.
And below is a clipping from CBS on Rutgers...I see them in a lot of Top 25 team lists.
Screen Shot 2024-06-13 at 2.03.41 PM.png

Last edited:

Let’s take on the impossible. … projecting an 18-team monstrosity, with best player and/or other guy to watch.

NCAA

Bubble Range

The Rest
I appreciate you taking a stab. I mean, who knows? Some thoughts (with no evidence)

I really haven't followed the 4 newcomers enough to slot them at all. UCLA is supposed to be good, I guess.

I don't know who I put #1, but I'm not on board with Purdue sans Edey. Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman were good on the Bulls, but would they have won championships on their own? Edey is not Jordan, but he was 2-time NPOY. You just don't replace that without a dropoff. I've got to see it first.

Woodson has talent but can't coach.

As previously stated, I'm not on the Husker bandwagon either.

Illinois is an unknown to me - they lost their big 3

OSU - lost Key, Okpara, Gayle, and Battle. Another unknown, especially with an apprentice coach.

Maryland lost their best player and wasn't very good with him. Unless addition by subtraction, I guess.

I guess there's a lot to not like, apparently.

This is my best guess.

1 Purdue
2 Indiana
3 Michigan
4 Ohio State
5 Rutgers
6 UCLA
7 Michigan State
8 Illinois
9 Maryland
10 Oregon
11 USC
12 Nebraska
13 Iowa
14 Wisconsin
15 Penn State
16 Minnesota
17 Washington
18 Northwestern

This is extremely difficult. There isn't what I would call an elite team(like Purdue this past season), but I also don't think there will be a truly awful team(like Michigan this past season, and us the season before).

I'd still lean Purdue as being the best team despite losing Edey. They still return a bunch of contributors and have Painter. I don't think they'll be a top 10 team, but probably the best in the league. I think IU has the best talent, but their coach doesn't exactly inspire confidence. After that, there is a lot of unknown, which is to be expected given how the rosters turnover. In terms of after the top 2, Rutgers has the most talent IMO, but they'll be young.

I think NW, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Illinois are the four teams who got worse. I think we'll have a worse record, but in terms of quality of team, probably about the same. It's just tough because the teams behind us in the standings from a year ago, all got significantly better IMO(except PSU, but they were basically our equal last year).

Unfortunately, I don't project us to make the B1G tournament.

NIL Read
This a very interesting piece about NIL and Washington's $2 million guy.

I am a,e

NCAA

Bubble Range

The Rest
Ter

NCAA

Bubble Range
11 USC: Desmond Claude, Saint Thomas Wisconsin Crowl, John Blackwell

The Rest
I am a eternal optimist when it comes to the hGophers i think they will finish anywhere from 8-12. I know there portal transfers were rate low however I like how who they brought in fits with who remained, also I really like Asuma and believe he will be adjusting to the college game just as conference games start, I like Edmonds as a sub for Gracia and Fox for Mitchell. I also like the wings ww brought in. I feel Patterson wilk be a great mentor for Asuma and Fox and Mitchell for Grove. I also think Betts will be a surprisehe came a year earlier hear then his graduating clasz and in reality is a sophmore who has had 2 years at the training table and in the weight room. I guess we will see and guess what? That"s why they actually play the games!

Definitely a byproduct of the NIL era, but boy do I not recognize nearly as many names as in years past. Who knows. Ironically you probably just bet on the HOF coaches and then anything goes from there.

Definitely a byproduct of the NIL era, but boy do I not recognize nearly as many names as in years past.

Just think of yourself like a fan of a junior college or boarding prep school team. You just watch players for one or two years. The good thing is that you don't have to wait too long for players to leave if you don't like them.

Just think of yourself like a fan of a junior college or boarding prep school team. You just watch players for one or two years. The good thing is that you don't have to wait too long for players to leave if you don't like them.
There's also the other side of the coin: hoping for an influx of skilled, experienced players. That (and the coaching change) is what has me excited for Michigan this upcoming season.

There's also the other side of the coin: hoping for an influx of skilled, experienced players. That (and the coaching change) is what has me excited for Michigan this upcoming season.
How do you plan to cheat at basketball, too? Conor Stalion?

Nebraska also lost Tominaga to graduation, did they not? I don’t know much about the replacements, but he was THE difference for them - the player at the top of the scouting report.
I also feel Nebraska will be better. They also just signed the UCLA kid from Turkey who was a nice pickup.

Illinois will win the Big next year

I did like PAC 12 basketball though, hope some of the excitement comes with the new teams

Humrichous is one of Illinois’ best two players. Likely the leading scorer.

C. 7-1 Tomislav Ivisic (21 year old from Croatia who succeeded against top competition in Euro leagues), 6-9 Morez Johnson (top 30 recruit coming off gold medal win for USA U18 national team), 6-10 freshman Jason Jakstys (redshirting)

F. 6-9 Ben Humrichous (scores at all three levels), 6-10 Carey Booth (top 60 recruit who flashed skills at Notre Dame as a freshman)

W. 6-7 Tre White or 5-star freshman 6-9 Will Riley, 6-6 Jake Davis (averaged 9 as a freshman at Mercer)

G. 6-6 Kasparas Jakucionis (Lithuanian projected 1st round pick in 25), 6-6 Ty Rodgers (started for Elite 8 team. Could play a lot at 3 or 4 positions and maybe even start again).

G. 6-2 Kylan Boswell (former 5-star still only 19 entering his junior year), 6-1 Dre Gibbs-Lawhorn ( came on late last season)

Not sure what to expect. More overall talent than last season but lost a generational talent in wrongly accused but exonerated Terrance Shannon. I do think that 8th is underrating them.

Last edited:

Michigan is a totally different situation than Minnesota. Minnesota is now officially a farm-team. But Michigan paying for players is nothing to be proud of either.

If I had my way, Minnesota would leave the Big Ten and form a conference with other non-paying schools.

Michigan is a totally different situation than Minnesota. Minnesota is now officially a farm-team. But Michigan paying for players is nothing to be proud of either.

If I had my way, Minnesota would leave the Big Ten and form a conference with other non-paying schools.
Michigan also has a new coaching staff with a HC who has been successful and has received a lot of positive press buzz the last two years as well as an assistant coach who is a great recruiter: Mike Boynton, Jr. Boynton is the former Oklahoma State head coach who recruited such players as Cade Cunningham, the top NBA draft pick a few years ago.

Michigan also has a new coaching staff with a HC who has been successful and has received a lot of positive press buzz the last two years as well as an assistant coach who is a great recruiter: Mike Boynton, Jr. Boynton is the former Oklahoma State head coach who recruited such players as Cade Cunningham, the top NBA draft pick a few years ago.
Okape.

Top Bottom