The best of college basketball

Reaction score
Singler feels good about decision - coming back for his senior season. The MVP of the championship game and he wants to get better and enjoy his last go-around. That's good stuff...and I'm not a Dukie fan.

"When he decided to come to Duke, one of the things he told me was it was his dream to come to Duke," Krzyzewski said. "I'm not sure he's postponing an [NBA] dream. I think he's continuing one dream before he gets to another one."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5118990

The best of college basketball Part II

Courtesy of Michigan State's Durrell Summers.

"I've got dreams of playing in the NBA, but I would rather win a national championship and graduate first," Summers said in a telephone interview. "I want to accomplish all those dreams instead of just one."

Courtesy of Michigan State's Durrell Summers.

"I've got dreams of playing in the NBA, but I would rather win a national championship and graduate first," Summers said in a telephone interview. "I want to accomplish all those dreams instead of just one."

That's a nice sentiment and all but he's barely got a shot at the second round next year. GM's aren't exactly falling all over themselves to take Summers. He's exactly the kind of player that needs to stay in school and finish his degree because his future is probably in Europe if he wants to continue his career. He would have been stupid to declare for this draft anyway. I have serious doubts he'd have even been drafted due to the number of early entrants and foreign players. We're looking at close to 200 entries in this draft right now for 60 slots.

Whatever you say, Mr. NBA GM. You missed my point. My point was Duke isn't the only school where talented players actually enjoy the college experience enough to stick around and hold off on their professional dreams (here or overseas), at least in part for the pursuit of a team-oriented goal.

Aren't you going to drop any names for us?

Whatever you say, Mr. NBA GM. You missed my point. My point was Duke isn't the only school where talented players actually enjoy the college experience enough to stick around and hold off on their professional dreams (here or overseas), at least in part for the pursuit of a team-oriented goal.

Aren't you going to drop any names for us?

I'll guarantee you that both Izzo and Summers both know where he stands in terms of the draft. He's gotten his feedback and made his decision based upon that. You think he's still there if he's Lottery? Extremely doubtful. And Singler's in the same boat: Mid to late 1st rounder this year and could theoretically fall even farther based upon who stays in. He knows where he stands and so does Coach K. He loses nothing by staying a year and neither does Summers. Of course you won't get that in your press release. You think Patterson stayed solely because he was going to graduate? Yeah, that was a component and so was actually playing in the NCAA tournament but he knew he could improve his slot and hone his NBA game playing another year under Calipari.

Was that enough names for you or do you want to continue to cling to your notion about how the length of one's stay in college is a direct reflection of their commitment to education and "team goals" instead of the reality of the situation? Which is that for the majority of players with NBA aspirations and NBA interest that determining factor is very much in their draft status and the development of their games while in college. Do you think Cory Joesph is going to be in college for more than a year? Do you think if he left Minnesota after a season to be drafted his commitment would be less? People should stop ascribing their own belief systems and their own experiences to these kids and put themselves in their situations.

Top Bottom