The Barn Floor

Reaction score
On the ESPN360 broadcast they said the court is being replaced next year, is that true?? ...they also said Colton Iverson plays for Cornell...

The Barn floor has been going to be replaced every year for the last ten years.

They are going to replace it this upcoming offseason but it will still be raised.

I've heard the new floor will be the now standard Block M at mid court instead of the Goldy dribbling. Good move in my opinion.

Yeah, the actual floor itself will be replaced, but it will still be raised. If I remember correctly, the floor that is currently at the Barn is the original floor, dating back to 1928, with the exception of the center court area, which suffered a little mishap and had to be replaced.

This may have been stated before, but I remember hearing Gene Keady talk about the Barn floor. He said that his players over the years enjoyed the Barn floor the most (of all the Big Ten arenas) because it was "springy". He said the players felt that they could jump just a bit higher and that the floor was "forgiving".

How that can be true is a mystery to me. Anyone else hear something like that?

This may have been stated before, but I remember hearing Gene Keady talk about the Barn floor. He said that his players over the years enjoyed the Barn floor the most (of all the Big Ten arenas) because it was "springy". He said the players felt that they could jump just a bit higher and that the floor was "forgiving".

I believe that's because the court actually has springs below it. I've had the chance to play Lightning twice during a time out at a Gopher Basketball game, and when you dribble on the court the ball seems really dead, I remeber having to dribble the ball really hard. You can also feel the "give" in the floor a little when running around. I think someone on the gopherhole said that when they replace the floor they're going to solidify the new floor, so it will be more like a normal court.

New Contest: Predict How Long

... it takes for G4L to make his traditional criticisms of the raised floor. :D

Again, if I remember correctly, it's not completely solid concrete under the floor at Williams Arena, but rather a series of concrete posts that are surrounded by sand. This is what gives it the springy-like feeling when you play on it, since the sand allows for give.

I have also heard that when they put the new floor in, they are going to solidify the entire base in concrete, making the floor less springy.

Again, I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard in the past.

I'm not sure I'd call it "springy". Assuming it's the same floor that existed in the mid-90s, I played a couple of intramurals championship games on it and would have to say that it felt a bit "dead". The wood below my feet and underneath the ball felt slightly soft, not springy as such, though I can understand why some people might like a softer floor for better landing on jumps, things like that.

Also, I swear there were several particular dead spots on the court, like those at my old junior high gym. If this is the same floor that I experienced over a decade ago, then it's long overdue for replacement. That said, it's very cool to know that the floor is from the 1920's! I wonder how much care they'll take when taking it out.

The ESPN 360 commentators also said during the broadcast that they were going to auction off chunks of the current floor. That would be sweet to have...

The reason for the spring like feeling is much easier. Try again.

Top Bottom