The Athletic: With Big Ten football back on, Gophers begin to prepare for their big encore

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Athletic:

For now, the Gophers are controlling what they can and figuring out how to replace a wealth of talent that left via draft or graduation. Minnesota finished the 2019 season ranked No. 10 in the AP poll but started this one down at No. 19 in the preseason rankings, as several key departures figure to test the depth of Fleck’s team. Gone to the NFL are Antoine Winfield Jr., the first-team All-American safety now making plays for Tom Brady and the Buccaneers in Tampa Bay, and three other stalwarts from the 2019 defense — linebacker Kamal Martin, linebacker Carter Coughlin and cornerback Chris Williamson.

“Yeah, we got four draft picks on defense that left,” Fleck said. “… Those are hard guys to be able to replace. But I said before, we might be younger, but I think we’re deeper. And I think that’s critical.”

On offense, the Gophers’ depth will be tested too. Wide receiver Tyler Johnson is also off to the pros, taking away from Morgan’s arsenal the Gophers’ all-time leader in receiving yards and touchdowns. Running back Rodney Smith, the school’s all-time leader in all-purpose yards is gone too, as is backfield counterpart Shannon Brooks.

“I definitely have to step up now,” said Mohamed Ibrahim, who was second on the team with 114 carries, 604 yards and seven touchdowns last season and is now the Gophers’ top running back. “I was always leaning on (Smith and Brooks), those two guys, two veterans. Now it’s on my plate.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom