The Athletic: Why Minnesota center John Michael Schmitz, a strong-minded South Sider, couldnt pass up Year 6

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Mitch:

John Michael Schmitz in the first week of 2017 learned that Tanner Morgan, the high school quarterback from Kentucky with whom he’d been for months committed to Western Michigan, flipped to follow coach P.J. Fleck to a Big Ten destination.

“John Michael texted me, and he was like, ‘Dude, what are you doing?’” Morgan said. “You’ve never been there.”

The next day, Schmitz made the same move. Neither Morgan, nor Schmitz or his parents, John and Debbie Schmitz, had seen the campus at Minnesota. Yet they felt a pull, a connection.

“It was something about Fleck,” Debbie Schmitz said. “That was it. That was the end of it.”

Six years after Fleck first sold Schmitz, he stands as one of the coach’s most notable success stories with the Gophers. Schmitz, recently engaged and recommitted to a final year at Minnesota, has grown into a Rimington Trophy contender and valuable leader to enter this fall. The anchor of Minnesota’s rebuilt offensive line, he owes the climb to an unwavering worth ethic that embodies the spirit of his family.

Their South Side of Chicago oozes toughness. From its streets came the principles that have guided Schmitz.

“I’m proud of where I came from,” said Schmitz, a passionate White Sox fan who threw out a first pitch on the South Side in May. “Nothing was ever given to me. I had to work. My parents were blue collar. They still are. They installed that mentality in me. Whatever you want, you’ve got to go earn it.”

Go Gophers!!

Wait ... did the article really just imply that JMS grew up in south Chicago??

He is from Flossmoor, where the median income for a family was $122k (2010 census) ...

Sure, it is a southern suburb ....

Wait ... did the article really just imply that JMS grew up in south Chicago??

He is from Flossmoor, where the median income for a family was $122k (2010 census) ...

Sure, it is a southern suburb ....

If you're from Flossmoor, you're still a south sider. You're likely a fan of the White Sox and not at all of the Cubs.

If you're from Flossmoor, you're still a south sider. You're likely a fan of the White Sox and not at all of the Cubs.
"Their South Side of Chicago oozes toughness. From its streets came the principles that have guided Schmitz."

:sneaky:

That article was riddled with errors.

"Gone, though, are 197 combined starts on the offensive line and four starters — including Daniel Faalele, a fourth-round pick of the Ravens, and Blaise Andries, one of the original eight who committed to Fleck in 2016 at Western Michigan."
Blaise is a MN kid who originally committed to us under Claeys. He had zero connection to Fleck or WMU.

"The Gophers aren’t the trendy summer pick to make a jump in the Big Ten after their 9-3 finish in 2021 with a 6-2 league mark that tied them for second in the West"
Where to start with this one? We went 9-4 overall, 8-4 in the regular season, and 6-3 in the league.

There are others I'm too lazy to correct. Similar to the lazy manner in which this article was edited.

Top Bottom