The "Art Video Production" - sometimes it is too good to be true

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
Sometimes I think we are too hard on possible recruits and sometimes too eager to swallow whatever folks want to feed us. There is one particular player that keeps coming up in recruiting topics on this site. His parents are the champs of packaging their son. They have made impressive videos - hired the services of companies that specialize in promoting players to colleges.

I am close to the program and the kid is a nice player ... even a better person. However (IMO), he is not a DI player in any form or imagination. My son and I read the posts about him in disbelief. We like the kid and feel that we have no right to discredit him on this site. We just say, "Good for him." If he can fool everyone more power to him.

Don't get me wrong... the player I'm talking about is a nice high school player. He is the third or fourth best player on his team. He has some speed but is not real tough ... doesn't like to stick his nose in on a hit. The videos will never show this. I won't mention his name or position because I'm happy for him if he gets his school paid for. However, after seeing how this video packaging can make a decent player look great, I'm going to take a wait and see attitude on some of these players.

Without knowing the kid in question since you won't divulge...

I find it hard to believe said athlete was offered a scholarship without the coaching staff seeing him play in person. Also, what are his measurables? If he's 6'5" 380, he's probably worth a chance even if he's not the most aggressive kid. If he runs a 4.3, I'd probably offer a full ride too, even if he doesn't have great hands yet.

I should have posted the thread "Art Of Video Production." So caught that before anyone lets me know.

He is a combine type of kid

Again, I like the kid so didn't want to get his name out there in a negative way. He is going to get his college paid for one way or another because there are quite a few D2 schools interested in him. He had just ok numbers his senior year. His better year was his junior year because the cast around him was great so they couldn't focus on him. He is like the guy who does well at the NFL combine because most of the stuff is track stuff. IMO he is too soft but he does have some skills. He does not have a U of M offer but folks keep bringing him up as someone we need to look at. I think the coaches go a lot of what they see in the video productions.

Again, I like the kid so didn't want to get his name out there in a negative way. He is going to get his college paid for one way or another because there are quite a few D2 schools interested in him. He had just ok numbers his senior year. His better year was his junior year because the cast around him was great so they couldn't focus on him. He is like the guy who does well at the NFL combine because most of the stuff is track stuff. IMO he is too soft but he does have some skills. He does not have a U of M offer but folks keep bringing him up as someone we need to look at. I think the coaches go a lot of what they see in the video productions.
You do realize coaches, even Division 2, go off a lot more than video productions (highlights only). If a school is truly interested in a prospect they will likely request a minimum of 1-2 game films so that they can evaluate them in game situations. If a staff sees potential via a combine or camp they may take a risk that they can help the recruit reach his potential and decide to offer them a scholarship. Finally, if he does receive a scholarship to play Division 2 football he will only receive a small part of his college paid for. Division 2 scholarships are partial scholarships and usually range from only $500 to $6,000 per year. Full rides usually start at the FCS level.

My understanding was that the U had to see tape from at least one entire game just because of this problem. Also Kill has said they don't offer unless ALL coaches sign off on a kid and the position coach has veto power even if the rest of the coaches want to offer. Maybe this is why the kid doesn't have an offer from the U.

These "production" films are used to get the kid's name out there. If he took the time to attend a camp, the Coaching staff could see him live. If his highschool coach is high on him and sends 3 or 4 complete game tapes. If he was that good and the talent was better last year he should have been at least noticed on film. If he has documented measureables. But the most telling thing you noticed, he appears to be soft. That is a red flag. And as you say he appeared better with talent around him, not so much without. And he isn't the best player on his team. Unless he plays for Wayzata, Eden Praire, or Cretin who have all the high school talent you could hope for, he has no value as a Division 1 Recruit. No amount of production can cover these short comings.

Take another look at those Minnesota players who hold scholarship offers. Is he as good as any one of them?

Coaches don't offer scholarships based on highlight videos. The highlight video might get a kid in the door or at least peak the interest of the coaches but they will either watch a bunch of full game films or evaluate a kid in person before they will ever consider making an offer.

If you have any skill as a video editor you can make anyone look awesome in a highlight video. That is why it kills me when fans view a youtube video and say we should offer a kid based on it. Thankfully that is not the way coaches think.

Coaches don't offer scholarships based on highlight videos. The highlight video might get a kid in the door or at least peak the interest of the coaches but they will either watch a bunch of full game films or evaluate a kid in person before they will ever consider making an offer.

If you have any skill as a video editor you can make anyone look awesome in a highlight video. That is why it kills me when fans view a youtube video and say we should offer a kid based on it. Thankfully that is not the way coaches think.

Exactly. I think what a high school coach says about the player has more influence than these highlight videos. Parents and the kid himself will almost always think they're better than they really are. It's important for the high school coach to be honest. It doesn't help anyone if a kid goes to a level in which he is over matched. Plus if a coach over sells a kid, the college coach may just stay away from his players in the future.

I always enjoy the vidz of the player where he is not even in on the tackle that he is highlighted on. Happens more often than not.

I always enjoy the vidz of the player where he is not even in on the tackle that he is highlighted on. Happens more often than not.

So the only defensive player who did a good job on any play is the guy who makes the tackle?

Top Bottom