The 2024 Gophers football season will be a success if?...

We play in the Rose Bowl!

Oh wait,…..scratch that.

Same as always, we beat the hawks and the skunks! Beating the wolverines is a bonus!

make it to a Bowl Game.

anything beyond that is gravy.

that may seem as if I have low standards. But this is a new reality - an 18-team conference with no divisions.

now, I would be happier if the Gophers can go 8-4 in the regular season. that gets them to a better Bowl Game and garners a little more attention to the program.

but my baseline is go at least 6-6 and make it to a Bowl Game. (going 5-7 and qualifying for a Bowl based on academics is not a success in my book).

They can pass and catch the ball consistently.
Reliably accurate passing will lead to great things. The offense is already set up to help the defense succeed if we can keep the clock running. Being able to pass when the defense is expecting run = $.

Beat one of UCLA and USC.

Take 2 of 3 against the beatable teams Illinois, Maryland and Rutgers.

That.

Bonus:

Beat one of Iowa and Wisconsin.

If Max Brosmer exceeds Tanner's 321 passing attempts and the completion percentage of 65.7% that he achieved in the 2019 season. If Max surpasses those totals at season's end I suspect it will have been a very good season in Gopher country.

Minimum starting point most years would be making a bowl game. If you put stock in the media predictions, making a bowl game this year might be a major accomplishment but we aren't Nebraska so just making a bowl game isn't that exciting.

Tough to say in August what will constitute a successful season once it is all said and done. Too many unknowns.

No more starters get injured before the first game/s.

If Max Brosmer exceeds Tanner's 321 passing attempts and the completion percentage of 65.7% that he achieved in the 2019 season. If Max surpasses those totals at season's end I suspect it will have been a very good season in Gopher country.
Tbh I think this would mean it’s not and we’re losing far more than hoped. We have a stable of RBs and a good blocking OL. In terms of passing stats, yards per attempt would be much more telling (AKs y/a dropped by 2 yards last year) as it’ll show we’re running effectively (likely) and completing our passes when we throw them. A sign of excellent complementary football which is how PJ sees his passing game

Win more games than lose. Don't go backwards. No self inflicted losses by dramatic game changing mistakes. Don't beat yourselves with penalty or turnovers. Reclaim the Axe or hold on to the PIG. Consistent good play on all three phases of the game. Win enough to generate revenue(NIL) to keep, and continue adding good players. Pull an upset against USC or Penn State would be nice. This is within reach goal if things go well. Stay healthy.

Last edited:

Tbh I think this would mean it’s not and we’re losing far more than hoped. We have a stable of RBs and a good blocking OL. In terms of passing stats, yards per attempt would be much more telling (AKs y/a dropped by 2 yards last year) as it’ll show we’re running effectively (likely) and completing our passes when we throw them. A sign of excellent complementary football which is how PJ sees his passing game
Agree with this. We don't want to see huge attempt numbers but, instead, completion percentage and yards. Completion percentage is what opens up the run game.

Agree with this. We don't want to see huge attempt numbers but, instead, completion percentage and yards. Completion percentage is what opens up the run game.
+1

When people say we need to pass more and pass better, others respond with a straw man argument that PJ will never run the Mike Leach air raid. If we can run the ball well, we can certainly be a run heavy team. But for that to work, we need to be able to pass the ball efficiently and effective enough to punish the other team when they stack the box against the run, if for no other reason than to make them respect the pass enough to back open up the run game.

For that to work, all we need to be able to do is be able and willing to throw the ball when they sell out to stop the run.

Also, people talking about a tough schedule, teams 4-15 in the Big Ten being competive, and a possibility of 4-8 to 8-4. If all that is true, we likely won't have a lot of comfortable wire to wire wins. We will need to be able to pass weel enough to execute two minute drills if we find ourself down in the fourth quarter.

Top Bottom