The 2024 Freaks List: Ranking 50 of the freakiest college football recruits (5. KOI PERICH, DB (MINNESOTA COMMIT))

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per 247:

NO. 5 KOI PERICH, DB (MINNESOTA COMMIT)​

Iowa safety Cooper Dejean is already creating plenty of buzz inside NFL Draft circles for his insane testing numbers. So it shouldn't come as any surprise that the next DeJean is on this year's list.

OK, only time will tell if Koi Perich actually emerges as an All-Big Ten defender like DeJean. But the profiles of the two coming out of high school are nearly identical, as both are from small towns of fewer than 2,500 people and are elite multi-sport athletes who scored more than 1,000 career points on the hardwood during their prep careers, while also impacting the game in a variety of different ways on Friday nights.

Perich's posterizing dunks and 11-foot-1 running jump were going to be enough to warrant him a spot high on this year's list, but arguably his most impressive feat off the football field came this past spring when he posted a 10.89-second effort in the 100-meter dash despite running in frigid 40-degree Minnesota temperatures. Perich, who is committed to play for the in-state Gophers, adds that he's close to power cleaning 315 pounds. Freaky.

"I'm just an all-around athlete," Perich said. "I like to think that I'm as strong as all of the linemen up here and I like to think that I'm faster than everyone."

Perich totaled 75 tackles and three interceptions as a junior at Esko (Minn.) Lincoln Secondary. He also racked up 1,166 yards of offense and 20 touchdowns while scoring five times via the return game.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom