That Defense

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
I haven't seen any comments on the type of defense we threw at Washington State. It looked to me like most of the game we had only two down lineman, four linebackers and 5 defensive backs playing in most every situation. We had way more speed on the field than we usually do which was great against a team that likes to throw the ball the majority of the time. Claeys and Sawvell deserve a lot of credit for coming up with this scheme. Our guys were flying all over the place and a couple of those sacks were obviously coverage sacks. That was fun to watch our Gophers stifle WSU and our defense was just as fun to watch as I have ever seen them.

Looked more like what Wisconsin tries to do on defense and where we are going based on comments from coaches. We need to find the next Richardson type DT.

The key to football defense in the modern era is to make it confusing for the offense and simple for the defensive players. That was especially true last night with so many inexperienced players. That game plan was ingenious - a master stroke.

Genius gameplan. Just absolutely genius. And we stuck with it even after WSU's impressive opening drive. Made a few small tweaks to better defend stop routes/quick screens, but other than that, the kids just played better after the first drive. I'm so impressed and pleased. Way to go Gophers!

Claeys destroyed Leach. Enough said.

thought the team looked fast. for example, on one play falk came out of the pocket running with a step or two on our lineman (sorry, didn't catch which one) and our lineman ran him down from behind for no gain.
Cashman's closing speed on Falk for the sack was amazing. the play was in front of Faulk and he still couldn't avoid cashman

and 51 pass attempts for 30 completions and 264 yards: hats off to the DBs for the coverage and the line pressure. Well below Falk's averages.

thought the team looked fast. for example, on one play falk came out of the pocket running with a step or two on our lineman (sorry, didn't catch which one) and our lineman ran him down from behind for no gain.
Cashman's closing speed on Falk for the sack was amazing. the play was in front of Faulk and he still couldn't avoid cashman

and 51 pass attempts for 30 completions and 264 yards: hats off to the DBs for the coverage and the line pressure. Well below Falk's averages.

Cashman looked like he was shot out of a cannon on that play. Super impressive.

Top Bottom