Texas Vs Nation Game, Simoni Impresses

GoldenHerbs

Reaction score
I saw this on the scout forum and thought Id post over here since all anyone wants to talk about is kfan and SH.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12896728/texas-vs-nation-who-scored-on-golden-opportunity

"Minnesota linebacker Simoni Lawrence, a former junior college safety with great speed, was a standout on defense. He always seemed to be around the ball, and wrapped up elusive Southern Illinois running back Deji Karim in the open field a couple of times. Lawrence also knocked down a pass in the flat."

Hoping Simoni gets drafted, we all know Decker will just a matter of 2nd or 3rd rd.

Looks like Simoni's stock is rising:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_OLB

Lee Cambell also:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_ILB

Great news! So much for Brew_recruit's claim that Brewster ruins players by switching their positions. I know he switched Lee Campbell's position, and I'm pretty positive he switched Lawrence from Safety to Linebacker. Correct me if I'm wrong. Sending guys to the NFL is always great for the program. Campbell and Lawrence will probably be special teams at best, but I'll be following Decker. I look forward to watching that replay from the Cal game during the NFL draft. It'd be nice to see him go as high as the 2nd round, but I'm thinking the injury concerns will drive that down to a 4th or 5th round pick. Hope I'm wrong. It'd be great to see his name called on the first day.

Questions for the board...who has a shot to go to the NFL next year group? Will Traye Simmons still get drafted after a disappointing year?

Great news! So much for Brew_recruit's claim that Brewster ruins players by switching their positions. I know he switched Lee Campbell's position, and I'm pretty positive he switched Lawrence from Safety to Linebacker.

Yes Brewster did move Campbell from DE to LB in 2008, however I think Brewster is the one who moved Campbell from LB to DE in the first place after he arrived in 2007.

As far as "Big" play Traye, I dont think he will get drafted but he will probably be picked up as a free agent but really how would I know thats all speculation.

Decker was projected to go in the 2nd- 3rd rd but not participating in the combine and being injury prone throughout his career will probably drop him, but if he stays healthy some team will get a steal if he goes in the later rds.

I really can't see Decker getting through the 3rd round.

who has a shot to go to the NFL next year?

Shot to make a 53-man roster and actually play on Sundays:

Eric Decker

Shot to make a practice squad and maybe eventually get on a 53-man roster someday (in decreasing order of likelihood):

Simoni Lawrence
Lee Campbell
Traye Simmons
Garrett Brown
Nick Tow-Arnett

Will Traye Simmons still get drafted after a disappointing year?

I have roughly the same chance of getting drafted as Traye Simmons.

Eric Decker

Shot to make a practice squad and maybe eventually get on a 53-man roster someday (in decreasing order of likelihood):

Simoni Lawrence
Lee Campbell
Traye Simmons
Garrett Brown
Nick Tow-Arnett

I have roughly the same chance of getting drafted as Traye Simmons.

That's this year's class. I was asking about current Gophers who could go to the NFL next year.

That's this year's class. I was asking about current Gophers who could go to the NFL next year.

Honestly - no one.

Unless Hoese becomes all world (his position is in high demand), I really don't see one person getting drafter.

That was thoroughly confusing. Why were you asking about current juniors, and then throwing Traye Simmons in the mix?

Anyway, here is the list for next year:

None

Kyle Theret
Jeff Wills
Dominic Alford

These are all huge, huge longshots though. I highly doubt any of them will even be considered for post-draft FA signings.

The 2011 draft class will be the last for the Gophers in a long while to be so lightly regarded. Beginning with the 2012 class, we will have at least one guy drafted, and probably put multiple guys into the league each year. Unless one of the potential early-entry guys (Kirksey? Cooper? Tinsley?) absolutely blows up and leaves next year, there is no shot any Gophers get drafted in 2011.

I bet Weber gets drafted..................assuming he remains the starter next year; which I think he would.

With Traye's tackling ability (or lack thereof), no one will draft him. I mean no one.

I bet Weber gets drafted..................assuming he remains the starter next year; which I think he would.

We're talking about the NFL draft.

If Weber can't consistently complete 5 yard passes, why the heck is anyone going to draft him?

If Weber can't consistently complete 5 yard passes, why the heck is anyone going to draft him?

What Weber lacks in accuracy, he more than makes up for with enthusiasm.

are we talking about tebow now?...lots of heart and no accuracy...? haha

Great news! So much for Brew_recruit's claim that Brewster ruins players by switching their positions. I know he switched Lee Campbell's position, and I'm pretty positive he switched Lawrence from Safety to Linebacker. Correct me if I'm wrong. Sending guys to the NFL is always great for the program. Campbell and Lawrence will probably be special teams at best, but I'll be following Decker. I look forward to watching that replay from the Cal game during the NFL draft. It'd be nice to see him go as high as the 2nd round, but I'm thinking the injury concerns will drive that down to a 4th or 5th round pick. Hope I'm wrong. It'd be great to see his name called on the first day.

Questions for the board...who has a shot to go to the NFL next year group? Will Traye Simmons still get drafted after a disappointing year?

Only problem is the NFL is tinkering with the draft this year so that the first round will be primetime Thursday night. Rounds 2 and 3 are Friday primetime, and 4-7 are Saturday morning thru afternoon.

That said, here's hoping he's a first day pick!

Weber and Willis getting drafted is comical. Both players were just plain bad last year.

Weber and Willis getting drafted is comical. Both players were just plain bad last year.

Yes, the idea of Weber getting drafted is insane. But who is Willis?

If you're talking about Wills, then no one said anything about him getting drafted. And, he was not "plain bad" last year. Sure, he had his problems with speed rushers, but find me an OT who doesn't, especially one playing at 370-380 lbs. He was more than serviceable by the end of the year, and was actually probably our best OL by the bowl game. If he can get himself in the 330-340 range next year, he will be a beast.

Yes, the idea of Weber getting drafted is insane. But who is Willis?

If you're talking about Wills, then no one said anything about him getting drafted. And, he was not "plain bad" last year. Sure, he had his problems with speed rushers, but find me an OT who doesn't, especially one playing at 370-380 lbs. He was more than serviceable by the end of the year, and was actually probably our best OL by the bowl game. If he can get himself in the 330-340 range next year, he will be a beast.

Yeah, I don't quite get why so many are down on Wills, when he was one of our players who really came along well and improved practically each and every game. Another off-season of getting his body right and he could actually be quite good. Draftable, probably not, but hey, you never know lol.

Jeff Wills was more than serviceable and it was nice to see a player who was getting better with each passing week. I agree that another offseason in the weight room and getting in shape and he will be quite good. No reason to rip Wills performance, he was far from being one of our problems

Campbell is not the fastest guy, but he seems to have a lot of football smarts and plays the game hard. I don't know if he'll get drafted, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him at least on a practice squad in the NFL next season.

Lawrence has a good shot as well. He's a bit of a tweener between LB and S, but he has the makings of a really good special teams contributor who also could play well in nickel packages. Defenses are becoming increasingly specialized and someone with Lawrence's athletic ability will get a close look.

I look for Decker to get drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. I think he'd have been a 2nd round pick if not for the injury.

Campbell is not the fastest guy, but he seems to have a lot of football smarts and plays the game hard. I don't know if he'll get drafted, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him at least on a practice squad in the NFL next season.

Lawrence has a good shot as well. He's a bit of a tweener between LB and S, but he has the makings of a really good special teams contributor who also could play well in nickel packages. Defenses are becoming increasingly specialized and someone with Lawrence's athletic ability will get a close look.

I look for Decker to get drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. I think he'd have been a 2nd round pick if not for the injury.

Not so much of a tweener any more. He said he is up to 230 right now. For reference, both Leber and Greenway (Vikings) are around 240.

Hadn't seen that. Lawrence is a great athlete. No question about that. If he can stay quick at 230, he can probably do some things at the next level.

He always reminded me of Derrick Brooks, the former Florida State linebacker. Played safety as a freshman then moved to LB. I figured that he would be moved to safety in the NFL, but you know the rest.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he is the next Brooks, it's just that they are both about the same size, very fast, figure they would play safety in the NFL, etc.

Top Bottom