Tennessee Hired Kevin Steele For Six Weeks...flushes $450k down the drain...no $860k now...

$900k, actually. It was a guaranteed two year contract at $450k per year.

That's nothing to them and their boosters.

That's the desperation of a fanbase that thinks it should be Alabama, spends like that, has a stadium that big, and they fill it, but are just plain incompetent at the sport of football.

Nebraska of the south.

It was a steal for Kevin!

The amount will be reduced if he accepted a new job coaching within the terms of his contract.

It was a steal for Kevin!

The amount will be reduced if he accepted a new job coaching within the terms of his contract.

He could go the Bert route and try to get all scummy and get paid less....

Does anyone know how much Bo Pellini end up extracting out of Nebraska? I think it is tied to the terms of his contract also.

I will retire immediately if given a $900,000.00 windfall that Kevin Steel got. At least for two years, then unretire. ;)

Does anyone know how much Bo Pellini end up extracting out of Nebraska? I think it is tied to the terms of his contract also.

I will retire immediately if given a $900,000.00 windfall that Kevin Steel got. At least for two years, then unretire. ;)
Considering the hours you have to put in I think the Head College Football Coach role heavily lean towards the workaholic types ... and those guys don't want to quit.

pretty sure the retire and then unrettire is

That nonsense is in the contracts. Typically you have to be out of the biz for a period of time.

$900k, actually. It was a guaranteed two year contract at $450k per year.

That's nothing to them and their boosters.

That's the desperation of a fanbase that thinks it should be Alabama, spends like that, has a stadium that big, and they fill it, but are just plain incompetent at the sport of football.

Nebraska of the south.
Pre Saban Alabama thought they should be Tennessee/Nebraska.

Pre Saban Alabama thought they should be Tennessee/Nebraska.
I'm talking about reasonable vs unreasonable expectations.

Tennessee and Nebraska, will never again, be what Alabama is now.

To think at one time we would get clobbered by Nebraska and beat Alabama and now it is reverse for the most part.

Why is you reasserting your point, now in italics, make it true. If Alabama becomes preSaban Alabama (for whatever reason) what prevents Tennessee from rising to claim the mantle of dominant SEC program?

Why is you reasserting your point, now in italics, make it true.
If it was going to happen, it would've happened since the early 2000's.

The barriers to entry for the very top elite level are almost too large to surpass. Clemson is really the only program I can think of that pulled it off in the last 10-15 years.

If Neb or Tenn was going to do it, they would've done it. But quite clearly they're not capable. And a lot probably has to do with continually hiring incompetent coaches.

If it was going to happen, it would've happened since the early 2000's.

The barriers to entry for the very top elite level are almost too large to surpass. Clemson is really the only program I can think of that pulled it off in the last 10-15 years.

If Neb or Tenn was going to do it, they would've done it. But quite clearly they're not capable. And a lot probably has to do with continually hiring incompetent coaches.
What makes you think that there will be relatively no changes to the elite programs of today? The historical record shows us that who is elite at any given time is rather fluid when looking at it decade by decade.

Edit: I do concede that the CFB is a big reason that the historical record may not be predictive of the future --- but I am curious why you say that programs only have ~20 years to regain elite status once it is lost.

What makes you think that there will be relatively no changes to the elite programs of today? The historical record shows us that who is elite at any given time is rather fluid when looking at it decade by decade.
That is certain. Look back to Florida State as recently as 2014, for example.

I just feel confident that Nebraska and Tennessee won't ever again be one of those elite programs. Mostly a gut feel and a desire, than anything.

That is certain. Look back to Florida State as recently as 2014, for example.

I just feel confident that Nebraska and Tennessee won't ever again be one of those elite programs. Mostly a gut feel and a desire, than anything.
To the larger point --- do you feel confident that Florida State can no longer be an elite-level team? Was Florida an elite-team under Urban Meyer and can they be that again? But to your specific post, why don't you want Tennessee to be an elite program?

To the larger point --- do you feel confident that Florida State can no longer be an elite-level team? Was Florida an elite-team under Urban Meyer and can they be that again? But to your specific post, why don't you want Tennessee to be an elite program?
Florida St has to overcome Clemson. There's also possibly North Carolina trying to become an upstart under Mack Brown. But that's really all there is in that weak conference. Not impossible.

Florida, Georgia, and the rest of the SEC has to get over Alabama. No one has been able to sustain that for more than a year since Saban. We'll see.

Tennessee I don't actually care about that much. I really just see them as a proxy for Nebraska's failure.

It's Nebraska that I would like to see fail consistently for the next 20-30 years.

Top Bottom